Link to CWF not working

Featured Posts

The past couple of days, CWF has not been working from bookmarks. This morning, I decided to do a search to see if there was a problem. I got to the FB page and noticed several people there saying the same thing.

I've just tried again, still not working - it's the 'Home' page that I have bookmarked. Anyroadup, from the Google search, I decided to click on the General boating page, which then let me in to the site. I then clicked back to the home page, bookmarked it again, deleted the old page and am now up and running again. This is using Chrome browser and happened on both my Win 10 'puter and my Chromebook.

There may be many others out there who haven't been able to get their CDF fix for the past couple of days.

Kevin

21 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

The past couple of days, CWF has not been working from bookmarks. This morning, I decided to do a search to see if there was a problem. I got to the FB page and noticed several people there saying the same thing.

I've just tried again, still not working - it's the 'Home' page that I have bookmarked. Anyroadup, from the Google search, I decided to click on the General boating page, which then let me in to the site. I then clicked back to the home page, bookmarked it again, deleted the old page and am now up and running again. This is using Chrome browser and happened on both my Win 10 'puter and my Chromebook.

There may be many others out there who haven't been able to get their CDF fix for the past couple of days.

Kevin

I've not had any problem logging in from bookmark. There was a server outage for a few hours yesterday (26/4) though.

11 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

The problem is, those who can't log in from bookmark won't know how to solve it because they can't get on the site to read this!! Catch 22!

You could post your fix onto the FB thread, it won't help everyone but it's a start

By "bookmark" do you mean the row of rectangular buttons across the top of the page which give quick access to frequently-viewed sites? If so, mine packed up either yesterday or the day before. I discovered this morning that if i did a Google search and typed in "Canal World View New Content", I can gain access to the site. The "bookmark", if that's what it is, still didn't work an hour ago so I have now deleted it. Whether it will reappear with frequent use I don't know; I think that's how all the rectangular buttons got there in the first place.

Perhaps I should also delete the one which says "Live cricket scores".

I had the same problem - and thought the whole site was down for all of yesterday.    I then managed to get back in via a Google search, and read RichM's suggested solution in the other thread (from a DOS window, type "ipconfig / flushdns" adn<Enter>).

It didn't work immediately - I also had to close Firefox and reopen it - but my previous bookmark is now working again.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

By "bookmark" do you mean the row of rectangular buttons across the top of the page which give quick access to frequently-viewed sites?

Yep, that's the one, delete the bookmark, open up CWF, then bookmark the page again.

Edited by Kendorr

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Not a problem specifically with bookmarks, but for me the forum is on and off giving the Cloudflare error all day today

Have you read the other thread ?

I was having it almost non-stop but did what rich suggested and not a single instance today.

If using Windows please try opening up command prompt on your computer and type ipconfig /flushdns and press return. 

What I was talking about is not a VNC issue, it is an issue with getting to canalworld.net as a whole.  Unless the DNS change made is still to propagate then I don't think the change made has fully resoled the issue, but if everyone else if happy then it could be just me.

22 minutes ago, john6767 said:

What I was talking about is not a VNC issue, it is an issue with getting to canalworld.net as a whole.  Unless the DNS change made is still to propagate then I don't think the change made has fully resoled the issue, but if everyone else if happy then it could be just me.

The cloudflare is not just a VNS issue, it stops access to the whole of the website - it is actually the CWDF Host going 'down' and not connecting

4 hours ago, Kendorr said:

Kevin

I had this yesterday.

Fixed it by deleting the old bookmark.and creating a new one for my custom VNC page.

I have had this on Safari from my Mac the last couple of days with some intermittent lack of progress on the download but, oddly, the link worked perfectly OK on my iPhone. Then I investigated and found that using Chrome on my Mac everything was OK. I transferred the link from the Chrome window after deleting my previous Safari bookmark and Safari address and it all started working OK......even though the link address looked identical at a quick glance. Odd, but it worked for me.

Roger

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The cloudflare is not just a VNS issue, it stops access to the whole of the website - it is actually the CWDF Host going 'down' and not connecting

Not sure I'd agree entirely. Definitely not a VNC issue but the host is not going down either despite what the error message says. The issue is that for some reason CloudFlare cannot always connect to it and it reports that the host is down on that basis, but that doesn't necessarily mean the host/server itself is down. 

In the absence of any meaningful logs and while going through the process of elimination, yesterday I had routed CWDF traffic away from CloudFlare entirely. With that in mind, if people are still seeing CloudFlare errors (possible as a result of DNS propagation - a collateral issue) then that further suggests that for some reason CloudFlare is having issues connecting to the server. It does not appear to be the server causing the issue which is evident by the fact that people who are no longer connecting via CloudFlare are no longer having issues connecting to the site.

It is frustrating because CloudFlare is largely intended to prevent the site going down in the event of a DDoS attack while also providing other benefits such as content caching which reduces the load on the server by up to 50% at times, It's just unfortunate that for some reason CloudFlare is having intermittent issues connecting to the server, even though I'm confident there isn't an issue on the server itself.  I'm not at all pointing blame at CloudFlare or otherwise, for the most part the experience while using their service has been positive especially considering CWDF doesn't have to pay anything for the service they provide. 

I don't have the foggiest what any of this has to do with broken bookmarks though. Can someone share with me an example of a broken bookmark URL and I can take a closer look. 

Edited by RichM
  • Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is what I said, assuming you meant VNC.  The whole site become inaccessible.

Edited by john6767

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Something funny going on. I have been unable to access the forum on my phone for 24 hours. According to isitdownrightnow.com, canalworld.net is still down for everybody, even though I got straight in on the laptop using my usual VNC bookmark!

Capture.PNG.7df840d82d860a663f2751f64495a440.PNG

This one seems more accurate.

https://www.uptrends.com/tools/uptime

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

This one seems more accurate.

https://www.uptrends.com/tools/uptime

I had a look. This is because these sites actually check using port 80 or HTTP which is a less secure protocol than HTTPS. As it's not easily doable to get these otherwise perfectly legitimate & useful websites to change their ways, I have opened up HTTP again on the firewall but to avoid compromising security, users are still re-directed at browser level to https://. The status checker websites will now be able to accurately report on the online/offline status of CWDF once again.

I trust no sleep has been lost over this and on that note, goodnight!

Edited by RichM
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, RichM said:

I had a look. This is because these sites actually check using port 80 or HTTP which is a less secure protocol than HTTPS. As it's not easily doable to get these otherwise perfectly legitimate & useful websites to change their ways, I have opened up HTTP again on the firewall but to avoid compromising security, users are still re-directed at browser level to https://. The status checker websites will now be able to accurately report on the online/offline status of CWDF once again.

I trust no sleep has been lost over this and on that note, goodnight!

I  pasted the whole url (https://www.canalworld.net), may be that's why it works?