Solar System

eid

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, Detling said:

Should be no problem as long as they are both 12 volt, probably one will shut down when the batteries are almost full and only taking a couple of amps, so don't wory if you see this on ammeters. The fuses are necessary and those fuse holder wires looked a bit thin for 100 amps.

What size cable would you recommend? I have one alternator at ~125A and the other at 90A

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

None at all :)

Thank you both ?

Edited by eid

3 hours ago, eid said:

What size cable would you recommend? I have one alternator at ~125A and the other at 90A

Thank you both ?

What is the cable lengths from each alternator to battery?

With 12 volt electrics cables are chosen to keep volt drop to accepatable levels (<3%) rather thsn for their maximum current rating.

22 minutes ago, cuthound said:

What is the cable lengths from each alternator to battery?

With 12 volt electrics cables are chosen to keep volt drop to accepatable levels (<3%) rather thsn for their maximum current rating.

I would guesstimate 3ft. I'm loath to lift up the floor for the second time today as my back is aching from last time!

Edited by eid

23 minutes ago, eid said:

I would guesstimate 3ft. I'm loath to lift up the floor for the second time today as my back is aching from last time!

BSS specifies a minimum of 25mm sq for battery cables.

This size of cable will give a volt drop of 0.16 volts (1.33%) for a one way length of 1 metre.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/cable-sizing-selection.html

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, cuthound said:

BSS specifies a minimum of 25mm sq for battery cables.

This size of cable will give a volt drop of 0.16 volts (1.33%) for a one way length of 1 metre.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/cable-sizing-selection.html

Thanks. Site bookmarked.

I should probably replace the cables going form the solar controller to the battery banks, as they are probably rated for the old solar panels which were only 35% of what I now have. The one to the starter battery looks particularly thin. In fact maybe I should replace all the cables. I'm not sure what size they are but I'll look into.

If I measure the diameter of a non-solid cable (threaded?), is that accurate enough to find the area using pi?

35 minutes ago, eid said:

If I measure the diameter of a non-solid cable (threaded?), is that accurate enough to find the area using pi?

No, because the thickness of tne insulation, which varies between types of cable, will be included.

However if you measure the diameter of the conducters, inside of the insulation, and use pi, you will be there or thereabouts for the cross sectional area of the cable.

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

No, because the thickness of tne insulation, which varies between types of cable, will be included.

However if you measure the diameter of the conducters, inside of the insulation, and use pi, you will be there or thereabouts for the cross sectional area of the cable.

Yes, this is what I meant. Thanks!

29 minutes ago, cuthound said:

25 minutes ago, eid said:

Yes, this is what I meant. Thanks!

You need to work it out as suggested but then deduct 10% which will (approximately) allow for the interstices and give you a much better figure for the Cu CSA.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You need to work it out as suggested but then deduct 10% which will (approximately) allow for the interstices and give you a much better figure for the Cu CSA.

I tested this using a cable of known size (6mm 2) and some Vernier Calipers. It came out to 6.0239016. Very good!