John Griffiths Canal Carrier Origins and History

Rich72

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If you ever sail past you will understand.  A rare sight that changes with the seasons and the whims of Peter G. Its become a tourist attraction.

Perhaps mannequins would have been more descriptive and less cryptic. 

Ashby Canal 5.7.10 064.jpg

• Happy 1

That more as I remember it! A place where you could rummage around in a pile of junk and turn up a crucial piece of Bolinder - perhaps still there behind those mannequins? Our son Ben (8 or 9 at the time) was terrified of him as Joe took to picking him up by his ears in fun    ?

Tam

But do they still offer boating services? The diesel tank still has a price in pence per gallon on it and, though a sign offers a dry dock, I'm baffled how anyone could get near it (and ditto the diesel pump as boats are parked about four abreast between it ad open water).

Just now, Athy said:

But do they still offer boating services? The diesel tank still has a price in pence per gallon on it and, though a sign offers a dry dock, I'm baffled how anyone could get near it (and ditto the diesel pump as boats are parked about four abreast between it ad open water).

Does this include the non floating ones? :(

Ashby Canal 5.7.10 062.jpg

Ashby Canal 5.7.10 061.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Just now, Athy said:

I thought those were flower beds.

One time we came past there was a rather damp forlorn looking cockerill perched on a plank in the first boat.

We pulled alongside, managed to get it to sit on a shaft and then gently deposit it on the bank.

This boat was covered elsewhere on CWDF. It was in the process of being restored but the owner took ill and was not able to finish the project. 

I think it has since been broken up.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

On 07/12/2020 at 16:07, Athy said:

Charity dock is still offering boating services, I have used their dry dock. the whole raft of boats in front can open up to let one in.

A far more fun place to work on a boat than so many of the clinical yards around the system.

• Greenie 1