John Griffiths Canal Carrier Origins and History

Rich72

Featured Posts

Hi,  I am new to this site and just trying to do some research.  I am interested whether anyone out there has knowledge re the origins of John Griffiths canal carriers, who started the business, when, where and what happened to it.  Is there any history of the yards or boats still around.  Keen to understand if John Griffiths canal carriers is linked to John Griffiths, son of Edward Griffiths and Jane Griffiths (new Blower), and husband of Mary Griffiths (new Turton).

16 minutes ago, Rich72 said:

Hi,  I am new to this site and just trying to do some research.  I am interested whether anyone out there has knowledge re the origins of John Griffiths canal carriers, who started the business, when, where and what happened to it.  Is there any history of the yards or boats still around.  Keen to understand if John Griffiths canal carriers is linked to John Griffiths, son of Edward Griffiths and Jane Griffiths (new Blower), and husband of Mary Griffiths (new Turton).

Yes. One and the same. Born Wolverhampton c1840, d. Foleshill 1914.

I can’t confirm his father’s details as my own notes differ from your information but also carry the disclaimer that I have no proof. I haven’t explored his ancestry because my relation is to the Turton’s not the Griffiths’. His wife was Mary Ann Turton.

My own great grandfather - a boatman latterly based at Hawkesbury - had business links and may have carried under contract for John Griffiths canal carriers.

I think there are other links in the wider family tree.

If you search the forum you will find other information. There is also published material.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

17 minutes ago, Rich72 said:

Thanks Captain Pegg.  Your advice and input is much appreciated.  I will peruse the forum and see what I can find from the published material.  Regards

Narrow Boat magazine is probably your best bet for published material (typed before Ray T posted above).

I also note the general consensus of those who have researched the family tree online is that his father was also John Griffiths but his mother was indeed Jane Blower. This could easily be attributable to a difference in given name and commonly used name.

I suspect in my own research I have noted the consistency of information published by others but have also checked for proof and found none. It’s not uncommon in online family trees for one person’s info to be replicated by others irrespective of it’s provenance.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Thanks Ray T.  Mrs T has sage advice and lots of cross referencing needed.  But what is most interesting of all is to understand how relatives lived, what their lives where like, the joys and hardships - this gives it all real perspective.  The journey is the fun and hopefully find some interesting insights on the way.  Thanks for the input.  Much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Rich72 said:

Thanks Ray T.  Mrs T has sage advice and lots of cross referencing needed.  But what is most interesting of all is to understand how relatives lived, what their lives where like, the joys and hardships - this gives it all real perspective.  The journey is the fun and hopefully find some interesting insights on the way.  Thanks for the input.  Much appreciated.

Not related to your relatives, but to grasp a general flavour of how boat families worked and lived I can recommend reading Sheila Stewart's book "Ramblin Rose". It is fictional in that the events depicted to the family in question did not happen to just one family, but is fact, in that the events at some time throughout many families lives - they did happen. A sort of compendium of life afloat through the first half of the last Century.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Not related to your relatives, but to grasp a general flavour of how boat families worked and lived I can recommend reading Sheila Stewart's book "Ramblin Rose". It is fictional in that the events depicted to the family in question did not happen to just one family, but is fact, in that the events at some time throughout many families lives - they did happen. A sort of compendium of life afloat through the first half of the last Century.

Thanks Derek I will see if I can source a copy via an online bookshop

7 hours ago, Rich72 said:

Thanks Derek I will see if I can source a copy via an online bookshop

Drop the ‘b’ when you search. The main character went boating not walking, and her surname was Ramlin. I’ll leave you to guess her first name.

A superb book. I would suggest easily the most accurate portrayal of the life of the majority of working boat people through history.

JP

Ta Cap,n, I knew there was a letter missing, just chose the wrong one. Should have looked at my copy.

Amazon have it Rich:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sheila-Stewart-Ramlin-Boatwomans-Story/dp/B00169P7W0/ref=pd_sbs_14_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00169P7W0&pd_rd_r=7e3be7eb-a526-4a85-8c25-d81458e6b0cb&pd_rd_w=Zpg9W&pd_rd_wg=zLWpl&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=R3X6SRWCCKVQNMHAPCB8&psc=1&refRID=R3X6SRWCCKVQNMHAPCB8

Her other book - about 'Old Mont' is every bit as good, but nothing to do with canals. "Lifting the Latch".

Edited by Derek R.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

Ta Cap,n, I knew there was a letter missing, just chose the wrong one. Should have looked at my copy.

Amazon have it Rich:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sheila-Stewart-Ramlin-Boatwomans-Story/dp/B00169P7W0/ref=pd_sbs_14_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00169P7W0&pd_rd_r=7e3be7eb-a526-4a85-8c25-d81458e6b0cb&pd_rd_w=Zpg9W&pd_rd_wg=zLWpl&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=R3X6SRWCCKVQNMHAPCB8&psc=1&refRID=R3X6SRWCCKVQNMHAPCB8

Her other book - about 'Old Mont' is every bit as good, but nothing to do with canals. "Lifting the Latch".

I think many folks believe it’s called Ramblin’ Rose and there may well have been a deliberate alliteration. I don’t think I realised until I actually bought the book and if I recall correctly the explanation of the characters’ names comes at the end. I lent it to my mother last year and she was sure she knew people in it. I had to point out they are not real although not all the family names are changed.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

54 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Amazon have it Rich:

Another vote for “Lifting he latch”, a wonderful book about a bit of Oxfordshire rural history and a remarkable old man.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

Amazon have it Rich:

Or rather than sending your money to an online monolith, how about supporting a small canalside business (and occasional poster here). They currently list 2 copies of Ramlin Rose in stock.

https://www.canalbookshop.co.uk/secondhand.html

• Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi 

John Griffiths senior(bn1811) was my Great great great grandfather. 

Charity Dock in Bedworth is still going and is run by Pete Gilbert, a distant cousin. He still owns Warwickshire canal company. 

I gave a fairly good documentation of the family tree if you want to private message me. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

We used to load coal at Gopsall on the Moira cut in the early 70s and knew Joe Gilbert well - it's good to know the yard is still in the family.

Tam

Yes it is - but does any boatyard activity take place there? We've gone past Charity Dock a score of times or more over the years and have noticed that occasionally moored boats leave and new ones arrive, but we've never seen any sign of anyone working there. I do hope it's still active. 

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes it is - but does any boatyard activity take place there? We've gone past Charity Dock a score of times or more over the years and have noticed that occasionally moored boats leave and new ones arrive, but we've never seen any sign of anyone working there. I do hope it's still active. 

The dummies don't dress themselves you know!:offtopic:?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tam & Di said:

??  Too cryptic

Tam

If you ever sail past you will understand.  A rare sight that changes with the seasons and the whims of Peter G. Its become a tourist attraction.

Perhaps mannequins would have been more descriptive and less cryptic.