We've decided to head north...

magictime

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I wish people would actually read the legislation, not what they heard from a friend in the pub, err I mean on Facebook!

the English law (which I’m citing because you mentioned Coventry) says that a reasonable excuse for leaving home is (para 6 (2)j:

“to move house where reasonably necessary”

I can’t see how your house-moving trip was not compliant with the law.

Because Coventry university like many uni’s has told students not to go back to their parental home. The government posted this guidance on 27th March. 

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I wish people would actually read the legislation, not what they heard from a friend in the pub, err I mean on Facebook!

the English law (which I’m citing because you mentioned Coventry) says that a reasonable excuse for leaving home is (para 6 (2)j:

“to move house where reasonably necessary”

I can’t see how your house-moving trip was not compliant with the law.

And I had checked it too, both the English and the Welsh guidelines as the journey was roughly half and half in England and Wales. I came to the same conclusion as you but for those who wish to split hairs she was not moving home as such as she was already at her home  address and the Uni address could be construed as a second home! The need to remove her belongings was not imperative until mid June. 

1 minute ago, MHS said:

Because Coventry university like many uni’s has told students not to go back to their parental home. The government posted this guidance on 27th March. 

Cadi was home well before the 27th March. 

2 minutes ago, MHS said:

Cadi was home well before the 27th March.  No such advice was sent out by the Uni

33 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Cadi was home well before the 27th March.  No such advice was sent out by the Uni

It is now on their own Coventry uni website. 

https://www.coventry.ac.uk/the-university/key-information/health-and-safety-information/our-response-to-covid-19/

I know that Lincoln Uni gave out incorrect instructions telling students to go home. They then changed it one day later when challenged over their advice. 

Edited by MHS

Can't see how the OP is going to get to Leeds.

The only route I can see is River Trent,to Trent Falls,Selby Canal,Aire and Calder to Leeds Liverpool.

Never been near there,but have read up on the rules VHF radio,and two crew.

Perhaps someone familiar with this area on here could advise?

15 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

The only route I can see is River Trent,to Trent Falls,Selby Canal,Aire and Calder to Leeds Liverpool.

If you get to Trent Falls, you’ve gone too far!

Keadby is the spot to get off the Trent. You then get the excitement of a sliding railway bridge. 

Edited by MHS

12 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

For vessel over 12 metres in length :

VHF must be monitored and there must be at least 1 crew member in addition to the Master.

Colreg compliant nav lights are required if travelling in poor conditions or at night.

Screenshot (155).png

14 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

What would stop him going via Keadby?

The VHF and two crew applies below Gainsbrough, so would apply to a trip via Keadby as well.

9 minutes ago, MHS said:

If you get to Trent Falls, you’ve gone too far!

Keadby is the spot to get off the Trent. You then get the excitement of a sliding railway bridge. 

The op has pointed out a stoppage on the Stainforth and Keadby.

20 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

The op has pointed out a stoppage on the Stainforth and Keadby.

Missed that one. I’ve not done the Trent Falls route, I understand it’s not for the unprepared. 

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or the complacent, or those unused to wide, lumpy water that runs faster than a NB can go, or those that don't understand tides.

We are very familiar with the tidal Trent but had thought we might do Trent Falls some time as a challenge! Certainly not to be taken lightly in a narrowboat 

With this in mind it might pay you to take a good look at places which have good public transport links with  Leeds so you can find yourself a place you feel comfortable to sit out the lock down  but can easily get a direct train when the time comes? 

Edited by cheshire~rose

8 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

We are very familiar with the tidal Trent but had thought we might do Trent Falls some time as a challenge! Certainly not to be taken lightly in a narrowboat 

Suggest you get the charts - coming out of the Trent and turning left (West) you need to go East first then loop around before heading West.

The shallows cause big problems with rough water as the tide is flowing and its easy to run aground if on a falling tide.

The 'depth' numbers that are underlined mean that is the height it dries so 2underscore 3 means it dries to 2.3 metres above chart datum

Screenshot (156).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

If there is no appointment, and treatment is not needed immediately. it cannot be "urgent". The OP stated quite clearly that it was precautionary. That's not urgent. 

You're not seriously suggesting that even if I did have a date for brain surgery intended to prevent a further bleed, I still wouldn't be within my rights to move my home close to the hospital, because the treatment still wouldn't strictly speaking be "urgent"? 

Was that really CRT's intention when drafting their advice (not 'rules'), do you think? Or the government's intention when saying that only "essential travel" is allowed? 

Anyway, the point is moot now because, as has been pointed out, the L&L is closed from Wigan to Bingley. 

20 minutes ago, magictime said:

You're not seriously suggesting that even if I did have a date for brain surgery intended to prevent a further bleed, I still wouldn't be within my rights to move my home close to the hospital, because the treatment still wouldn't strictly speaking be "urgent"? 

Was that really CRT's intention when drafting their advice (not 'rules'), do you think? Or the government's intention when saying that only "essential travel" is allowed? 

Anyway, the point is moot now because, as has been pointed out, the L&L is closed from Wigan to Bingley. 

He was simply digging himself into a hole. He kept digging himself into it even though he couldn't see he was completely wrong.

His opinion was materless given CRT said they had no problem with your proposed journey.

However you resolve getting close to Leeds good luck.

32 minutes ago, magictime said:

Are all the pennines crossings closed? 

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Are all the pennines crossings closed? 

Effectively yes, because if you could get the other side of the Rochdale or Huddersfield, the Calder and Hebble is out. And I think there are stoppages on those two anyway.

56 minutes ago, magictime said:

Effectively yes, because if you could get the other side of the Rochdale or Huddersfield, the Calder and Hebble is out. And I think there are stoppages on those two anyway.

If you are really keen to get there then the Trent Falls route allows you to cover a lot of ground - fast. You have to time it right with the tide and the weather and a VHF is required but you could get from Cromwell to Selby in one day. We left Torksey in our 46 foot narrowboat and caught the ebb tide to Trent Falls and the flood to Naburn without stopping - a distance of 84 miles (about the same as Cromwell to Selby) in exactly 12 hours.

• Greenie 1

Just now, mikedel said:

If you are really keen to get there then the Trent Falls route allows you to cover a lot of ground - fast. You have to time it right with the tide and the weather and a VHF is required but you could get from Cromwell to Selby in one day. We left Torksey in our 46 foot narrowboat and caught the ebb tide to Trent Falls and the flood to Naburn without stopping - a distance of 84 miles (about the same as Cromwell to Selby) in exactly 12 hours.

Yeah not sure it's for me! We've done Keadby to Cromwell over two days, and have the charts, but the northern bits sound a bit intimidating.