We've decided to head north...

magictime

Featured Posts

Just now, Sir Nibble said:

It's identical to the balconies on every other floor but thanks, that's a hair that really needed splitting.

You are welcome, I was just joshing though.

25 minutes ago, magictime said:

I'm not worried about being able to get to the hospital to attend an appointment (I could catch a train). I'm worried about my home (my boat) being sufficiently close to the hospital that when I have my surgery, I can safely get back there to recover and know that my consultant and his team are nearby in case of any complications. 

Yes, I knew I was taking that risk, but I think if anything I feel a bit better for the balance of opinion being what it is. The objectors have basically just pointed to the word 'urgent' in a non-exhaustive list of examples of essential travel written by CRT.

Exactly! And exactly!

Yep all booked for tomorrow, thanks.

Brilliant mate hope its an easy cruise for you with no stress, finger crossed for the op, my mate Mark was a total success hope your is the same

• Love 1

55 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

I'm under siege here and dare not go near the door, going in and out over my balcony. 

nothing to say as I've read the rest of the thread.

Edited by Loddon

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Brilliant mate hope its an easy cruise for you with no stress, finger crossed for the op, my mate Mark was a total success hope your is the same

Thanks - I hope so too! This will be the 5th attempt at fixing the issue (only the 2nd open surgery, but I've had three less invasive procedures too). Hard to stay optimistic sometimes.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, magictime said:

Thanks - I hope so too! This will be the 5th attempt at fixing the issue (only the 2nd open surgery, but I've had three less invasive procedures too). Hard to stay optimistic sometimes.

We're all wishing you all the best, and I think you will fill find CRT supportive as well.

jo 

12 minutes ago, pearley said:

Our paths crossed on the Beeston Cut in November. Good luck on your travels.

Pete and Jeannette

Joanie M

Thanks. Yes, I remember - the Trent had imposed its own ban on travel!

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have had an MRI scan delayed / cancelled, but I'm not going to sit outside the hospital in case the road is closed and I cannot get there when they eventually say "this is your new appointment"

Going by road is not quite the same as having to get there by boat is it.

8 hours ago, magictime said:

After four weeks moored at Westport Lake, and with no end in sight to the current situation, we've come to the conclusion that we should probably consider a journey to Leeds (or nearby) 'essential' in our current circumstances.

Number one concern is my health; I should have been having a CT scan now-ish in preparation for brain surgery (another attempt to fix the problem responsible for my haemmorhage in 2017), and although this is on hold for now due to Covid 19 I want to be sure I'm close to the LGI when things start moving again. Arguably this isn't 'urgent' (yet), but with the Calder and Hebble not an option for the foreseeable future, and  a stoppage on the Stainforth and Keadby ruling out even the Trent as a route north,  we're one unforeseen L&L stoppage away from ending up completely cut off. Plus I don't know how quickly the ball might start rolling on my surgery when the Covid situation eases in the hospital.

So, if you spot us en route, please know that we haven't taken the decision to travel lightly and we aren't just enjoying a nice holiday. I must admit I'm already stressing out about being judged by people along the route who might assume we just don't give a damn. (There does seem to be rather a lot of this around at the minute.)

Goodluck with your move and upcoming medical procedure. Just 1 tip, don't post photos and a running commentary on Facebook canal groups. 

Edited by jeddlad

Talk to CRT, explain situation, esp that boat needs to be near hospital sooner or later, and that you are able to be flexible at the moment, so it is best to move now. 

Stick a CRT approved navigation if you feel under pressure. Essentially it makes no difference to public health provided sensible precautions are taken, wear gloves at locks. Not much more you can do.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Go for it Greg, I’m sorry we can’t share Poolstock locks with you and Frances again. We were also stuck at Beeston, but in December, it’s a shame we hadn’t met up again. 

The self appointed Covid police probably won’t spot you, as your boat is so subtle, it just blends in with the scenery. Any who do, will be unable to be annoyed as your boat just radiates peace & harmony. 

Hope all goes well up in Leeds. 

Mike & Wendy

Edited by MHS
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MHS said:

Go for it Greg, I’m sorry we can’t share Poolstock locks with you and Frances again. We were also stuck at Beeston, but in December, it’s a shame we hadn’t met up again. 

The self appointed Covid police probably won’t spot you, as your boat is so subtle, it just blends in with the scenery. Any who do, will be unable to be annoyed as your boat just radiates peace & harmony. 

Hope all goes well up in Leeds. 

Mike & Wendy

Thanks! We must have just missed you - we moved on to the Erewash early in December. We were on the Nottingham and Beeston for ages before that with the Trent in flood.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Talk to CRT, explain situation, esp that boat needs to be near hospital sooner or later, and that you are able to be flexible at the moment, so it is best to move now. 

Stick a CRT approved navigation if you feel under pressure. Essentially it makes no difference to public health provided sensible precautions are taken, wear gloves at locks. Not much more you can do.

Thanks, yes, we've talked to CRT and they didn't raise any objections. And yeah hand sanitizer at locks, and no stopping to visit shops etc.