We've decided to head north...

magictime

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, magictime said:

After four weeks moored at Westport Lake, and with no end in sight to the current situation, we've come to the conclusion that we should probably consider a journey to Leeds (or nearby) 'essential' in our current circumstances.

Number one concern is my health; I should have been having a CT scan now-ish in preparation for brain surgery (another attempt to fix the problem responsible for my haemmorhage in 2017), and although this is on hold for now due to Covid 19 I want to be sure I'm close to the LGI when things start moving again. Arguably this isn't 'urgent' (yet), but with the Calder and Hebble not an option for the foreseeable future, and  a stoppage on the Stainforth and Keadby ruling out even the Trent as a route north,  we're one unforeseen L&L stoppage away from ending up completely cut off. Plus I don't know how quickly the ball might start rolling on my surgery when the Covid situation eases in the hospital.

So, if you spot us en route, please know that we haven't taken the decision to travel lightly and we aren't just enjoying a nice holiday. I must admit I'm already stressing out about being judged by people along the route who might assume we just don't give a damn. (There does seem to be rather a lot of this around at the minute.)

I dont think I would concern myself with the views of the unofficially appointed covid police in your circumstances.

You are moving for legitimate health reasons IMHO.

I hate the new self appointed covid police, the other day a guy(who does not work there) signalled me to not enter a supermarket isle because of the arrows they have put... I said sorry and walked around to reach the same place(still violating the arrows because I guess I might had to leave the whole store and come back) but I did silently judge the guy as much he did to me.

So you should not care if I judge you, as long as you can satisfy the police.

Edited by restlessnomad

What is essential boat travel?

If you are a live-aboard boater or are currently occupying your boat, then essential movement could be:

• to access water or waste facilities
  • to access essential food and supplies
  • to access urgent medical treatment
  • for emergency mechanical service for your boat
  • for emergency vet treatment for your pet

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

What is essential boat travel?

If you are a live-aboard boater or are currently occupying your boat, then essential movement could be:

• to access water or waste facilities
  • to access essential food and supplies
  • to access urgent medical treatment
  • for emergency mechanical service for your boat
  • for emergency vet treatment for your pet

To attend an URGENT hospital APPOINTMENT, not to attend an appointment you MAY be given some time in the future.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

To attend an URGENT hospital APPOINTMENT, not to attend an appointment you MAY be given some time in the future.

It makes no mention of having an appoinrment. If it did you wouldnt be able to attend A and E.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

But if the issue of access to a future and important set of hospital tests are causing concern would it not make sense to make efforts to relieve that by moving.

• Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

But if the issue of access to a future and important set of hospital tests are causing concern would it not make sense to make efforts to relieve that by moving.

Absolutely.

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

I have had an MRI scan delayed / cancelled, but I'm not going to sit outside the hospital in case the road is closed and I cannot get there when they eventually say "this is your new appointment"

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It's amazing how someone can quote the actual text, and then completely change it in their comment so as to suit their agenda. Perhaps you think we wouldn't notice? And in any case, CRT are only offering advice, they cannot make up their own laws.

Well, occasionally, maybe!

It also says 'could be', rather than being an exhaustive list of precisely what is and isn't allowed.

Suggesting that common sense should apply, unfortunately common sense isnt that common.

As someone who lives in a block where the communal entrance has to be considered a bio hazard due to constant traffic  in and out by neighbours who go visiting then return to gather in groups including multiple households and sometimes their houseguests, with zero regard for distancing, I really couldn't get  too wound up by this. I'm under siege here and dare not go near the door, going in and out over my balcony. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

As someone who lives in a block where the communal entrance has to be considered a bio hazard due to constant traffic  in and out by neighbours who go visiting then return to gather in groups including multiple households and sometimes their houseguests, with zero regard for distancing, I really couldn't get  too wound up by this. I'm under siege here and dare not go near the door, going in and out over my balcony. 

I have a harness, rope and a couple of spare carabinas I'm sure I can set up an absail,  getting back in would be more involved but a bit of foot locking and a prussic loop, sorted

First big challenge is that CRT controlled Harecastle tunnel. 

If you get permission to go through and staff on hand , you have pretty much got permission to continue your journey towards your medical need. 

Hope all goes well.

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Yup but sometimes people just want a little support, just a bit of reassurance. 

The forum can be very good for this, other times it can be bloody judgemental .

Totally agree.

My worry is more practical - is the Harecastle Tunnel open? I very much doubt there'll be anyone manning it.

Cross posted with Matty doh!

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have had an MRI scan delayed / cancelled, but I'm not going to sit outside the hospital in case the road is closed and I cannot get there when they eventually say "this is your new appointment"

I'm not worried about being able to get to the hospital to attend an appointment (I could catch a train). I'm worried about my home (my boat) being sufficiently close to the hospital that when I have my surgery, I can safely get back there to recover and know that my consultant and his team are nearby in case of any complications. 

1 minute ago, Kudzucraft said:

You should have just moved and not said anything, you have gotten less judgement heaped on you.

Yes, I knew I was taking that risk, but I think if anything I feel a bit better for the balance of opinion being what it is. The objectors have basically just pointed to the word 'urgent' in a non-exhaustive list of examples of essential travel written by CRT.

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Yup but sometimes people just want a little support, just a bit of reassurance. 

The forum can be very good for this, other times it can be bloody judgemental .

Exactly! And exactly!

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

First big challenge is that CRT controlled Harecastle tunnel. 

If you get permission to go through and staff on hand , you have pretty much got permission to continue your journey towards your medical need. 

Hope all goes well.

Yep all booked for tomorrow, thanks.

• Greenie 3