Running engine on idle.

Gerry underwood

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Gerry underwood said:

is it cheaper than running the boost?

Fuel used is possibly cheaper than the gas you would otherwise use, but that has to be countered against the nuisance noise, and the wear on the engine.

Edited by WotEver
typo

Just now, Gerry underwood said:

We are on a shore line.

Then running your engine will cost 10x to produce the heat for the water than it will cost via your land line.

Simply take (say) 15p per unit for the 1kw immersion heater for 1 hour = 15p

Your engine will use somewhere between 1 and 1.5 litres of diesel per hour at (?) £1.30 + wear and tear on the engine, oil etc = £1.50+

• Greenie 1

Running an engine from cold at tick over is not a good idea.

With it not getting up to a decent running temperature you run the risk of premature wear. 

The lubrication won't be effective.

The bores may glaze over.

Piston rings could stick, also exhaust valves.

Your exhaust/silencer/expansion box may become a repository for poorly burnt exhaust fumes which will create a sticky gunge.  Then when you do finally get under way and require the engine to do some serious work, all that muck will burn off and you'll be followed by a massive blue fog. 

This could take a few days to clear, it will smell horrid.

Everybody will point at you and discuss you behind your back.

Long distant relatives will denounce you, and you'll be written out of wills.

Greta Thornbirds will devote a whole scowl at you.

I suggest you cease and desist this foolhardy method of heating water, for this way madness lies.

I may have got a little over enthusiastic there and exaggerated a bit, however I believe in the spirit of what I say.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Running an engine from cold at tick over is not a good idea.

With it not getting up to a decent running temperature you run the risk of premature wear. 

The lubrication won't be effective.

The bores may glaze over.

Piston rings could stick, also exhaust valves.

Your exhaust/silencer/expansion box may become a repository for poorly burnt exhaust fumes which will create a sticky gunge.  Then when you do finally get under way and require the engine to do some serious work, all that muck will burn off and you'll be followed by a massive blue fog. 

This could take a few days to clear, it will smell horrid.

Everybody will point at you and discuss you behind your back.

Long distant relatives will denounce you, and you'll be written out of wills.

Greta Thornbirds will devote a whole scowl at you.

I suggest you cease and desist this foolhardy method of heating water, for this way madness lies.

I may have got a little over enthusiastic there and exaggerated a bit, however I believe in the spirit of what I say.

What he said.

On 26/04/2020 at 11:36, Alan de Enfield said:

Then running your engine will cost 10x to produce the heat for the water than it will cost via your land line.

Simply take (say) 15p per unit for the 1kw immersion heater for 1 hour = 15p

Your engine will use somewhere between 1 and 1.5 litres of diesel per hour at (?) £1.30 + wear and tear on the engine, oil etc = £1.50+

Red Diesel is around 60p at the moment, but it is still cheaper to use the Land Line than run the engine.