36ft liveaboard narrowboat dwellers - your testimony is required!

Jacsprat

Featured Posts

Hello to all of you lovely lock-down boat dwellers!

So I haven't quite sealed the deal on the 36ft boat I put an conditional offer on. I'm not ashamed to say, I had a total panic attack as all the potential end-of-the world stuff got into my head, and I became really concerned there would never be any paid work for anyone ever again anywhere - nor would there ever again be a chance to sell the boat if I didn't get on with it.. PHEW! I won't get into just how severe my anxiety was, but it really threw me into a spin, especially because most of my life savings are involved. I'm sure many of you had the same type of panic when you bought your first boats, but the present circumstances certainly seem to amplify the paranoia.

Starting to get over that a bit, but now want to assess the reality of living in a nice-ish, older 36ft boat with a very nice  separate double sleeping berth. Because of my relatively small budget in the early 30's, I've compromised length and space for boat condition and resale-ability. Everything is on board to have a comfy life  - nice little galley with plenty of storage and sufficient work surfaces, a very small but clever lounge, a 4 ft well deck with space for two to have a bevvy, a tiny bathroom, but with everything needed.  Yes, I did go to see it while practising excellent social distancing!! - this is a purchase to allow me a place to live as my rental situation ends in a month, in case anyone is worried about the rules (moving home is allowed if necessary). The things I don't like - tiny trad stern, paint needs refreshing and wood trim around windows inside need expensive replacement - all cosmetic stuff really. Nice tidy engine bay, and otherwise, a well-loved boat with a very good recent survey from a well-known surveyor.

Anybody here live full-time on a small boat like this? It's just me and my wee duggie but I'm no kiddie - in my 50's. Would absolutely LOVE to hear from you if so!

Not a NB but we (two of us plus two dogs) have lived on a 31ft yacht a couple of times.  Last time away was over Christmas as the kids have flown, thankfully.  Condensation was a problem even with the blown hot air heating on, so you will be okay for a the summer with a window open but need to think about it for next winter.  A wood burner takes warm damp air and sends it up the chimney which is good.  Window frames drip and mattresses need air underneath etc, but these problems are all solvable.  A dehumidifier if you have shore power is a great option.  

Final thought, a pram cover creates an extra room for wellies and wet coats etc and allows the doors to be kept open but the rain out.  

Good luck, sounds like exciting times ahead and much better than paying rent.  

Edited by Pete7
  • Love 1

Living on a boat is less secure than living in a house, its not an investment, and although its your life savings you might just loose them (boat catches fire or sinks and insurance company often finds a way not to pay out). But then again 20,000 people have now lost their lives so whats a bit of money?

Another bit of wisdom, imagine yourself sat in the (slightly damp) armchair in the old folks home in 35 years time talking about your past, do you want to talk about living on a boat, or just thinking of living on a boat?

As for 36 feet I can't help, we have 71, this includes a room just for the engine, and a large bedroom just for the dog, but she refers to share ours.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Living on a boat is less secure than living in a house, its not an investment, and although its your life savings you might just loose them (boat catches fire or sinks and insurance company often finds a way not to pay out). But then again 20,000 people have now lost their lives so whats a bit of money?

Another bit of wisdom, imagine yourself sat in the (slightly damp) armchair in the old folks home in 35 years time talking about your past, do you want to talk about living on a boat, or just thinking of living on a boat?

As for 36 feet I can't help, we have 71, this includes a room just for the engine, and a large bedroom just for the dog, but she refers to share ours.

.................Dave

Thanks Dave - I've had plenty of adventures in life including a recent 8000km bicycle ride from Nordkapp to Sicily - with the dog on the back of the bike. The boat would be one more great adventure to talk about in that damp chair one day!! I really am just hoping someone will come along and tell me I'll never notice my 36ft boat was actually built for pygmies and not an average sized western woman! If I'm honest, I think my little Murph needs a room for herself too, but she isn't contributing to the budget...

12 minutes ago, Pete7 said:

Not a NB but we (two of us) have lived on a 31ft yacht a couple of times.  Last time away was over Christmas as the kids have flown, thankfully.  Condensation was a problem even with the blown hot air heating on, so you will be okay for a the summer with a window open but need to think about it for next winter.  A wood burner takes warm damp air and sends it up the chimney which is good.  Window frames drip and mattresses need air underneath etc, but these problems are all solvable.  A dehumidifier if you have shore power is a great option.  

Final thought, a pram cover creates an extra room for wellies and wet coats etc and allows the doors to be kept open but the rain out.  

Good luck, sounds like exciting times ahead and much better than paying rent.  

Yes - there were obvious signs of condensation in the form of ruined window frames. There is, however, a multi-fuel stove with a backboiler to two radiators. It won't be cold! There's a nice pram cover on the bow which is entry for the boat in any case - very useful space! Thank you for your advice and good wishes - same to you!

Dogs are pack animals so prefer to share a bed with their owners.

Lots of people live in little plastic cruisers, and a lot live in small vans, so a narrowboat will be luxury.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

Not incredibly different from my story. My budget was slightly less than 30k and 36ft was my minimum length...ended up with 42ft, fully functional but in need of tlc.

It'll not quite be full time due to family commitments but as it'll be moored closer to my work than my current location, I'm intending to spend more time than not at the boat.

Good luck, I'm sure the reality will be a shock to both of us!

• Greenie 1

Quite similar here, I've lived on a 35ft boat for the best part of 7 years. Similar lay out to yours by the sound of it. I'm going to sell up soon but that's not because the boat is too small or I don't like the lifestyle. Rather, I've always wanted to live by the sea, now is my opportunity.

A boat this length usually lacks a dedicated dining area, mine is no different. For 4 years I coped with having a fixed oak table in the middle of the living area. This was my dining table, computer table, everything table. It often got covered in junk and tended to take over the space too much, making things feel cramped. I did away with the table and made one that's fixed to the wall opposite the bench seat in there. In 2 sections, hinged, it drops out of the way when I don't need it. I also made 2 slim cupboards, these surround my t.v. All the junk I used to put on the table now lives in these cupboards. When the table is hinged down the boat feels spacious, really nice to live on.

I don't know if you'll be in a marina but if not, welcome to the world of how the hell to make enough electricity and not constantly wreck sets of batteries!

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, Jacsprat said:

The things I don't like - tiny trad stern,

A trad stern means more space inside - important on a shorter boat. It will have room for you to stand on it and steer, which is all it's designed for.

Read this sticky topic in "Living afloat"

The things that nobody thinks to tell you...

And it's follow up entry.

Writtern by a person who has done what you are doing, and lived to tell the tale.

Bod

Edited by Bod

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

A trad stern means more space inside - important on a shorter boat. It will have room for you to stand on it and steer, which is all it's designed for.

Cruiser stern tends to let rain water into the engine bay.If it'only you and your dog then there will be enough room on it. You can also buy a "doggy"life jacket if you are worried about him jumping off to chase ducks.

Had a 30ft narrowboat and although not a full time liveaboard,I used to chug off for two or three weeks at a time.

There was about enough space for me,it had a crossways bed at the rear and it was a bit of a pain setting it up every night,but the bed section of the boat was divided from the front by the bathroom,giving the impression of two rooms.The living area/galley had enough space for a telly,bookshelf,and comfy seat,and I never felt that it was cramped.

Two or three weeks was quite enough for me,and then I wanted to go home.I do think I would have felt the same even if my boat had been much bigger.

Cruising during the day was fine,but the evenings were pretty tedious.

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes - certainly understand that. Only worried for my dog regarding the trad stern. It'll be fine for a long time to come, and I'm sure that if all else goes 'swimmingly', I'll end up with, preferably, a semi'trad when I upgrade to a longer boat! 

8 minutes ago, Bod said:

Read this sticky topic in "Living afloat"

The things that nobody thinks to tell you...

And it's follow up entry.

Writtern by a person who has done what you are doing, and lived to tell the tale.

Bod

I have done! Gulp!! 

Thank you for your replies - a mixed bag of 'you'll survive', to forgetaboutit!!  Lol! I've survived and mostly enjoyed full-timing in a small camper van - even built a tiny house and lived in that for two years of Canadian winters. But I'll admit, I have reservations about this one. Been studying narrowboat living for two years - I was ready, but the present situation is really clouding it for me. It helps very much to talk it out on this forum, so thanks again!!

Jacquie

13 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Cruiser stern tends to let rain water into the engine bay.If it'only you and your dog then there will be enough room on it. You can also buy a "doggy"life jacket if you are worried about him jumping off to chase ducks.

Had a 30ft narrowboat and although not a full time liveaboard,I used to chug off for two or three weeks at a time.

There was about enough space for me,it had a crossways bed at the rear and it was a bit of a pain setting it up every night,but the bed section of the boat was divided from the front by the bathroom,giving the impression of two rooms.The living area/galley had enough space for a telly,bookshelf,and comfy seat,and I never felt that it was cramped.

Two or three weeks was quite enough for me,and then I wanted to go home.I do think I would have felt the same even if my boat had been much bigger.

Cruising during the day was fine,but the evenings were pretty tedious.

Yes!! I'd seen many a very rusty, nasty looking engine bay on cruiser sterns - pram covers essential!! Down the road, a semi-trad would be my first choice...

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A small trad stern also means reasonably dry cruising in the rain on the occasions when you have to, you can shelter in the hatches with a gagool over you and the slide.

It's the dream...alas! Dry-ish cruising is a bonus! Of course, the other consideration is socialbility, but on such a short boat, having someone travel in the well deck and still have a bit of a chat will be fine for now.

Edited by Jacsprat

2 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Thank you for your replies - a mixed bag of 'you'll survive', to forgetaboutit!!  Lol! I've survived and mostly enjoyed full-timing in a small camper van - even built a tiny house and lived in that for two years of Canadian winters. But I'll admit, I have reservations about this one. Been studying narrowboat living for two years - I was ready, but the present situation is really clouding it for me. It helps very much to talk it out on this forum, so thanks again!!

Jacquie

Yes!! I'd seen many a very rusty, nasty looking engine bay on cruiser sterns - pram covers essential!! Down the road, a semi-trad would be my first choice...

With more experience you will find that the semitrad bit is a waste of valuable indoor space too. Its not even secure enough to leave stuff in.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

With more experience you will find that the semitrad bit is a waste of valuable indoor space too. Its not even secure enough to leave stuff in.

Ahhh, well that is new information to me! A big consideration. But it's also about friends and dogs having some outdoor space while cruising.

4 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Ahhh, well that is new information to me! A big consideration. But it's also about friends and dogs having some outdoor space while cruising.

The side seating in a semi trad is the most uncomfortable place in the world to sit because of the backrest angle. Unless your passengers want to stand all day, its a useless arrangement. The dog won't like it either, it will want to be on the roof looking where it is going or under your feet!

• Greenie 1

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

The side seating in a semi trad is the most uncomfortable place in the world to sit because of the backrest angle. Unless your passengers want to stand all day, its a useless arrangement. The dog won't like it either, it will want to be on the roof looking where it is going or under your feet!

You are DEFINITELY making me happier about my trad stern! Good, practical info - thank you! 

My first boat was a trad stern 30 footer and the cabin space was adequate. before I go on I have to say that I am not a live aboard and I wouldn't live on a boat in a million years no matter how big it was. Anyway, then I bought a 20 foot Shetland 4X2, yeah right no way in the world. Not only would have six people on that small boat been way too many a plastic cruiser on the canals designed to be on the sea and moving at 8 to 10 knots just didn't work at 4 knots max even though some on here will say different and other plastic boat owners do not stick to the 4 knot rule anyway. I now have a 30 foot cruiser stern and the size of the cabin area is significantly reduced and I mean significantly. Okay for me it is not an issue but as a live aboard, absolutely no way. Oh and as for rain getting into the engine compartment. If it's sealed properly with the right sort of cover and the gulleys are kept clear that is not an issue even without a pram cover.

• Happy 1

We were 'Summer Liveaboards' on a 30 footer, cruiser stern with a pram-hood making a extra room for wine drinking in cool evenings, or taking the sides out and having a bimini top in the sunshine, and as a conservatory for drying clothes, taking off boots etc. Wouldn't have been without it.

Having to put down and take up the bed everyday was 'fun' for the 1st few nights, but it began to be a MAJOR 'itch' as time went by. 

Buy as big as you can find (afford) and make sure it has a permanent bed.

When we sold the 30 footer, it was advertised on Boxing day, viewed and paid for before New-years eve. It was bought by a couple who took it down to London (Brentford) and used it as a full time liveaboard.

I actually not only covered my cost of purchase, but all maintenance costs (over the year of ownership) AND the cost (£1800) of the Pram hood.

You can make a profit on boats if you 'buy right and sell right'. 

The next one up was a 40 footer, with a cruiser stern, then a 45 footer Trad

We have had, Cruiser stern, trad and semi-trad.

Given the choice the Cruiser stern would always 'win-out' (more room, somewhere nice to sit, room for the dog to be with you, etc etc.)

Canopy.jpg

IMG_20130912_101839.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We were 'Summer Liveaboards' on a 30 footer, cruiser stern with a pram-hood making a extra room for wine drinking in cool evenings, or taking the sides out and having a bimini top in the sunshine, and as a conservatory for drying clothes, taking off boots etc. Wouldn't have been without it.

Having to put down and take up the bed everyday was 'fun' for the 1st few nights, but it began to be a MAJOR 'itch' as time went by. 

Buy as big as you can find (afford) and make sure it has a permanent bed.

When we sold the 30 footer, it was advertised on Boxing day, viewed and paid for before New-years eve. It was bought by a couple who took it down to London (Brentford) and used it as a full time liveaboard.

I actually not only covered my cost of purchase, but all maintenance costs (over the year of ownership) AND the cost (£1800) of the Pram hood.

You can make a profit on boats if you 'buy right and sell right'. 

The next one up was a 40 footer, with a cruiser stern, then a 45 footer Trad

We have had, Cruiser stern, trad and semi-trad.

Given the choice the Cruiser stern would always 'win-out' (more room, somewhere nice to sit, room for the dog to be with you, etc etc.)

Canopy.jpg

IMG_20130912_101839.jpg

Brilliant Alan - I think I'm headed on the same trajectory as you. We will eventually come out of this horrible plague situation. In the meantime, I will have a 'cosy' and interesting place to live and work from - and I get a fairly decent boat at a knock-down price. When it comes time to upgrade it, I should be able to make a small profit on the buying price - if the market recovers! Of course, like everyone else before me, I have a growing list of upgrades, first being a decent solar array! Here we go...

Edited by Jacsprat
  • Happy 2

14 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

When it comes time to upgrade it, I should be able to make a small profit on it if the market recovers!

Our 40 footer with pram-hood 'up' and 'down'.

In bad weather you can travel with it up as it only takes seconds to drop it for passing under a bridge.

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0023.JPG

And the 45 foot 'Trad'.

IMG_20140503_101706.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jacsprat said:

Only worried for my dog regarding the trad stern.

Don't try to share a trad stern with a dog.  Sooner or later you will trip over it. Just put the dog on the cabin roof with a bowl of water and a blanket to lie on. If your dog is inclined to jump off the boat at inconvenient moments its lead can be secured to a mushroom vent, but do make sure the lead is short enough so the dog can't fall over the cabin edge.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Don't try to share a trad stern with a dog.  Sooner or later you will trip over it. Just put the dog on the cabin roof with a bowl of water and a blanket to lie on. If your dog is inclined to jump off the boat at inconvenient moments its lead can be secured to a mushroom vent, but do make sure the lead is short enough so the dog can't fall over the cabin edge.

God advice - might as well make that a discipline from the start. Good thing she is about 126 years old - still a bouncy terrier - but marginally less so!