Jabsco macerator pump advice

Featured Posts

I have an old toilet with what looks like one of these fitted:

jabsco.png.77692ae0d34501589f164814413a7cb6.png

The pump is just clicking - the relay inside I guess - but no more than that. Before I take it all apart any tips/sugesstions as to what I might try to get it working?

Just in case I am looking to find a replacement pump and just want to check that this one might fit https://www.asap-supplies.com/jabsco-macerator-waste-pump-for-12v-quiet-flush-toilets

I have no personal experience of these but from reading posts on this forum the general advice seems to be to strip it down and clean it, at which point you’ll probably find something jamming the impeller. You’ll probably also find a general build up of uric acid crystals, limescale and other crud narrowing the pipes. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I have no personal experience of these but from reading posts on this forum the general advice seems to be to strip it down and clean it, at which point you’ll probably find something jamming the impeller. You’ll probably also find a general build up of uric acid crystals, limescale and other crud narrowing the pipes. 

Like a wet wipe of face tissue 

Not jabsco, but ours went through a stage of occasionally doing that (once every 6 weeks or so). Stripping it down found nothing wrong at all. Power getting to the motor fine. Eventually found that a quick burst of reverse power applied directly to the motor connection worked every time. Certainly nothing to lose trying before you commit to dismantling (not a pleasant task!).

Hasn't done it for 6 months or so now (frantically finds as much wood to touch as possible!).

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the reverse polarity idea and no joy. Still clicks but no movement (so to speak).

The bolts holding the toilet down to the tank are completly rusted and I couldn't shift them. I suspect will need to be drilled out in order to get at the pump. I can get the top two pump screws out but really struggle to see the bottom two without lift the whole unit up. So still looking for ideas before I get fully in there. I am going to:

• fill it with white vinegar and baking soda and leave to soak overnight
  • have a gently hook around with a coat hanger to see if I can pull out any debris

Failing that it will be drilling the bolts, remove the pump and hopefully it just needs a good clean.

Thanks all.

Edited by rgriffiths