Coronavirus: Canal & River Trust to extend boat licences by one month

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

we now have lots of fly tipping going on. Why?

That will be due to lots of inconsiderate people. Or one inconsiderate person with a lot of stuff to get rid of and can't hold onto it for a while.

Going to the tip isn't essential.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

That will be due to lots of inconsiderate people. Or one inconsiderate person with a lot of stuff to get rid of and can't hold onto it for a while.

Going to the tip isn't essential.

If going to the tip isn't essential perhaps the council should close them permanently and spend the money saved on more essential services.

Just now, The Welsh Cruiser said:

If going to the tip isn't essential perhaps the council should close them permanently and spend the money saved on more essential services.

Yes, and let the farmers who take the rubbish pay local businesses to landfill, genius business model ?

10 hours ago, john6767 said:

I hope you are right, but not really expecting to see the boat again this year, I hope I am wrong.  To rub salt in I switched to a gold licence in Jan as we were planning to do Gt Ouse and Thames this year, so having paid more I fear I will not even get the extra month that CRT are giving.

The gold license price has defined components of the cost as CRT and EA contributions, so I'd expect you to get  the equivalent of a month of the CRT portion. 

Actually, this may be a problem for us. We run our CRT license January to January which makes it easy to get a gold license every second or third year. Next year we'll have to get a  refund for the extra month to start the GL in January.

MP.

7 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

The gold license price has defined components of the cost as CRT and EA contributions, so I'd expect you to get  the equivalent of a month of the CRT portion. 

Actually, this may be a problem for us. We run our CRT license January to January which makes it easy to get a gold license every second or third year. Next year we'll have to get a  refund for the extra month to start the GL in January.

MP.

CRT have now confirmed that the extra month does not apply to Gold licences.  So as has been my luck (or lack of it) this year, additional cost of Gold licence, no rebate, and £1400+ addition mooring fees.  

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

Wonder if the EA are going to do something similar...

HaHa, HaHa.

They've already made it difficult / impossible to navigate by turning all the 'lectric locks off and some of those have no hand winding gear. Ditto with the pumpouts - though many of the 'residents' don't bother with them.

OK - you can ring them up, but I wonder.....

7 hours ago, john6767 said:

CRT have now confirmed that the extra month does not apply to Gold licences.  So as has been my luck (or lack of it) this year, additional cost of Gold licence, no rebate, and £1400+ addition mooring fees.  

Bummer.

MP.

On 25/04/2020 at 07:11, The Welsh Cruiser said:

My local authority immediately closed the tips, we now have lots of fly tipping going on. Why?, is it impossible to have a tip with social distancing? They also closed their 'call centre'. If you try to call them it's 'emergencies only'. Why? Banks, insurance companies etc. managed to keep their call centres going, either by re arranging things so social distancing in their offices or setting up employees to work from home. Why have local authorities been unable to do this? Could it be because there's no incentive to do this, better to just pack the staff up, send them home on full pay then have the annual moan 'we haven't got enough money' and whack the council tax bills up once again?   

A lot of councils have switched people to do other things.  My next door neighbour who works for the local highways department is working from home, but has been going through the government’s list of vulnerable people making sure they have what they need and can get food etc.

So just because you can’t see things going on, doesn’t mean they aren’t happening.

51 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

My next door neighbour who works for the local highways department is working from home, but has been going through the government’s list of vulnerable people making sure they have what they need and can get food etc.

Yup, the missus has had two phone calls from the council asking just that.  Which impressed us both.