Licence fee

Bluebeard20

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

What the hell has being an OAP got to do with it!  Presumably your pension hasn't stopped being paid (mine hasn't)  and you are spending less day to day (I am) so you are in a much more fortunate position than someone who has lost / been furloughed from their job and is now struggling to make ends meet.

That depends on what sort of pension you have. If you have some combination of state pension, final salary pension or other annuity your income is unaffected (as long as the organisation paying remains solvent), but if you have a defined contribution pension which you have not yet converted to an annuity, then the funds that are supposed to support you for the rest of your life are probably worth significantly less than they were a couple of months ago.

7 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

No , it has to be maintained by cash, from various sources, one of which is the marina that has a contract with CRT to honour.

My boat needs maintaining, usually requiring cash. I don't seek to make rules apply that by law don't. 

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

Yes, it does need thinking through. However, I think the principle is reasonable, of not rewarding shareholders while a company is receiving a subsidy. 

But most of those shareholders are not 'fat cat' businessmen, these funds are largely held by the pension funds and savings of ordinary people. So if you hit shareholders you inevitably hit ordinary working and retired people. The aims of the government business support schemes are to keep viable businesses going through these difficult times, so that when life returns to (more) normal they are still there to provide employment for their staff, goods and services for customers, tax to government and to minimise the adverse impacts on their shareholder investors (i.e you and me). Of course the hastily drawn up arrangements are not perfect, but government is tweaking the rules to deal with some of the inconsistencies and false incentives unintentionally created.  What is the alternative?

• Greenie 4

6 minutes ago, Higgs said:

My boat needs maintaining, usually requiring cash. I don't seek to make rules apply that by law don't. 

The requirement to have a BSS would appear to be a rule in many marinas, that is not law, and yet you don't seem to be on your high-horse about that, why ? what is the difference ?

11 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

But do you follow the BSS regulations, despite them not being law but costing you money?

I'm sure you didn't mean to say that - the BSS is required (and named) in the 1995 Act

Look at Schedule 2. part 2

and :

Where prior to the grant of a relevant consent a certificate (“the boat safety certificate”) has been issued by a person authorised by the Board so to do in respect of a vessel confirming that the vessel complies with the standards applicable to it at the date upon which the boat safety certificate is issued, subsection (4) (a) above shall have effect throughout the period for which the boat safety certificate is expressed to be valid as  ………………………...

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The requirement to have a BSS would appear to be a rule in many marinas, that is not law, and yet you don't seem to be on your high-horse about that, why ? what is the difference ?

I'm not disputing BSS. I do not propose that boats should be dangerous. 

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

That depends on what sort of pension you have. If you have some combination of state pension, final salary pension or other annuity your income is unaffected (as long as the organisation paying remains solvent), but if you have a defined contribution pension which you have not yet converted to an annuity, then the funds that are supposed to support you for the rest of your life are probably worth significantly less than they were a couple of months ago.

I converted my defined contribution pension into an annuity 8 years ago and it gives me the massive sum of £160 a month, it was supposed to keep me to the standard that I was at in the 1980's that didn't happen. 

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

But most of those shareholders are not 'fat cat' businessmen, these funds are largely held by the pension funds and savings of ordinary people. So if you hit shareholders you inevitably hit ordinary working and retired people. The aims of the government business support schemes are to keep viable businesses going through these difficult times, so that when life returns to (more) normal they are still there to provide employment for their staff, goods and services for customers, tax to government and to minimise the adverse impacts on their shareholder investors (i.e you and me). Of course the hastily drawn up arrangements are not perfect, but government is tweaking the rules to deal with some of the inconsistencies and false incentives unintentionally created.  What is the alternative?

It would take thinking out, but the company, if benefiting from a subsidy, and taxpayers money, should recognise that they are not producing what it takes to be a totally private concern.

But, you don't think private moorers should get some slack, from CRT. CRT's income is coming in, regardless of the virus. Some of that income is taxpayer's money. The same stuff that is being handed out in spades to business. 

Edited by Higgs

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yes, it would.

Think I've said that twice. 

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

At the end of the day WE are all going to pay for all the discounts, refunds, etc being handed out at the moment. That is where the Government get the money to do things

They don't have the money, it's all on HP. 

Anyway, I'm fairly happy today - managed to get some live yeast for bread making. ?

Edited by Higgs

17 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

My response was obviously far too nuanced.

Well, it is a forum. You have to speak plainly, unless you've already laid a path. 

Edited by Higgs

20 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

People don't like 'austerity' or higher taxes. So by default, HP must be highly popular.

It is, until you reach the point that it exceeds the ability to pay it off. I'm sure those people who go mad with the credit cards will understand. Or, you've no money and have to borrow so much, you've actually lost control of your life. Or in political speak - you've goosed your democracy, because the creditors hold you at ransom. Ask Greece about that one. 

And those creditors will make damned sure you have no place for social projects. 

Edited by Higgs

On 23/04/2020 at 12:56, Bluebeard20 said:

We are OAP's and are especially peeved by the current situation and STILL being expected to pay the CRT license fee. We are already paying to be in Calcutt marina and now they tell us that the virus situation will go on to Chirstmas. Since we are off the canal proper we really didn't expect to still have to pay the licence fee. The Coronavirus wasn't our fault so why should we be expected to pay the full cost of it and get nothing in return?? Doesn't anyone else feel like that??
Regards

Assuming your boat is currently on its berth in one of Calcutts two marinas (rather than on one of Calcutts online berths or elsewhere) then the issue is between you and Calcutt not you and CRT.

The reasons for this is as follows -

- Locks Marina and the newer Meadows marina are not part of the waterways requiring a CRT licence. It would require a change in the law to make then so.

- It is part of Calcutt's general conditions of mooring that you have and display a current CRT licence (you also need a current BSS certificate and insurance).

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

12 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

- Locks Marina and the newer Meadows marina are not part of the waterways requiring a CRT licence. It would require a change in the law to make then so.

- It is part of Calcutt's general conditions of mooring that you have and display a current CRT licence (you also need a current BSS certificate and insurance).

This can only be part of the maria's T&Cs. One of the things I would like to see created is a SORN, for boats, where T&Cs have no support in the forcing of the purchase of a licence. 

Edited by Higgs

42 minutes ago, Higgs said:

This can only be part of the maria's T&Cs. One of the things I would like to see created is a SORN, for boats, where T&Cs have no support in the forcing of the purchase of a licence. 

You haven't thought this through :)

A type of SORN  for boats could only apply if the boat was not being used.

If you are living on your boat you are using it so would still have to pay the licence ;);):)

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, Loddon said:

You haven't thought this through :)

A type of SORN  for boats could only apply if the boat was not being used.

If you are living on your boat you are using it so would still have to pay the licence ;);):)

You SORN a vehicle if it is not used on the public roads.   Take your boat out of the water and you do not need to licence it.  I.e. the same as SORNing a vehicle.

26 minutes ago, dor said:

You SORN a vehicle if it is not used on the public roads.   Take your boat out of the water and you do not need to licence it.  I.e. the same as SORNing a vehicle.

Yes but that's not what higgsy is after, he can do that now. What I think  he wants is to be able to sorn his boat if its in a marina, meaning he wont pay if he doesn't venture out.

Latest boaters new just out states that licences are going to be extended by 1 month due to inability to use boats. Quoting from the update Boaters update

....So today as an interim measure we are extending all licences that are due to expire at the end of April by one month to run until the end of May.  All other current boat licences will be similarly extended by a month from their current expiry date. I urge you to continue to renew licences – we will look at the situation again in a month’s time when we hope that the full extent of the disruption will be much clearer.

• Greenie 3