Its happening again (Host Error)

huami

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So far only VNC, but the only other page I occasionally visit is the 'politics' page, maybe I don't go on that enough to be there when 'it' happens.

Other pages open fine pretty quickly - when there were complaints a few days ago about the forum being very very slow and pages taking ages to open, I was opening pages 'instantly' as normal.

MrSmelly had the same problems again yesterday, I wonder how many others there have been ?

What did RichM do the last couple of times it was reported?

Alan, Thanks again 

As far as I am aware Richard didn't actually do anything last time, other than check the logs, which, didn't show anything of note.

I am just wondering if, for some reason, your personalised VNC page is configured in a way which make it more server demanding, hence you getting about 2% errors where everyone else is getting more like 0.002% and basically not having the issue.

Something we shall have to look into once we have the new tech team in place.

Daniel

Just now, DHutch said:

Alan, Thanks again 

As far as I am aware Richard didn't actually do anything last time, other than check the logs, which, didn't show anything of note.

I am just wondering if, for some reason, your personalised VNC page is configured in a way which make it more server demanding, hence you getting about 2% errors where everyone else is getting more like 0.002% and basically not having the issue.

Something we shall have to look into once we have the new tech team in place.

Daniel

Thanks for looking into it.

No worries - its not the end of the world having to occasionally click a couple of extra times to get onto a page.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thanks for looking into it.

No worries - its not the end of the world having to occasionally click a couple of extra times to get onto a page.

Sorry not to magic a fix for you!

You might wish to try a difference and or the default 'vnc' stream to see if that's better, Am on https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/discover/754/ here.

Else given the very low number of reported instances, it is on the list for later.

Daniel

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

View New Content

What you get to see when you click (top right) "New Posts"

Oh I see, 'view new posts', that's interesting...

I usually click on one of the live topics on right hand side and get a red notification if the thread gets updated with new posts(or reply to my post)

VNC or "New Posts" when logged in is by far the easiest way to view the forum and see in one listing all the threads which are new or have been updated in a single list, regardless of where they have been posted. I sometimes wonder why we have different sections - putting everything in the same place would give all readers the benefits of VNC. I never really notice which section threads have been posted in anyway!

• Greenie 3

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

VNC or "New Posts" when logged in is by far the easiest way to view the forum and see in one listing all the threads which are new or have been updated in a single list, regardless of where they have been posted. I sometimes wonder why we have different sections - putting everything in the same place would give all readers the benefits of VNC. I never really notice which section threads have been posted in anyway!

That's how I always view the forum on the laptop. Just keep clicking on VNC when I come back to it. Haven't got VNC customised at all and just skim the titles for ones relevant or I may be interested in.

Maybe if the 'View New Content' was a red tab labelled with 'On no account click this'  then more people would use it!

I do think that the current section split has the right balance between chaos and order so I wouldn't want to see all posts in one big section. Also, I imagine, it would make it a nightmare for the admin and mods who will have permissions set according to sections and actions etc.

Haven't seen the Cloudflare error for a few weeks and have been on regularly the past few days.

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

Likewise - which is why I'm sometimes surprised when members report that something has been posted in an inappropriate section, because I hadn't realised that it had been.

I am not sure why anyone would NOT use View New Content if they wanted to, er, view new content!

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Daniel : Over two days and its not happened again.

"Just one of those things" (a few days in Feb, a couple of days in March, and a couple in April)

Daniel : Spoke too soon, happened again this morning and took 112 times 'refresh' before the forum 'came back'

I was reading a post and then clicked to go back to VNC when they appeared.

One example :

Screenshot (150).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I believe the issue is that the firewall is locked down to permit traffic from CloudFlare IPs who act as a reverse proxy/caching/DDoS protection service for CWDF. It seems that Cloudflare sometimes send traffic from IP ranges that are not documented and as such are not permitted by the firewall. The server then blocks the connections from these untrusted IPs which is why CloudFlare reports the site or host being down. This would also explain why it does not affect all users at the same time.     

I have made a temporary change which in theory will prevent this happening. 

Edited by RichM
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, RichM said:

I believe the issue is that the firewall is locked down to permit traffic from CloudFlare IPs who act as a reverse proxy/caching/DDoS protection service for CWDF. It seems that Cloudflare sometimes send traffic from IP ranges that are not documented and as such are not permitted by the firewall. The server then blocks the connections from these untrusted IPs which is why CloudFlare reports the site or host being down. This would also explain why it does not affect all users at the same time.     

I have made a temporary change which in theory will prevent this happening. 

Happening again on my pc despite attempts to refresh. It is OK on my tablet.

Howard

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you have a custom VNC ?

I don't know. I just have a page called "View New Content".

It's happened again since my last report, by the way - don't know exactly for how long, as I was out.

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't know. I just have a page called "View New Content".

It's happened again since my last report, by the way - don't know exactly for how long, as I was out.

I was (just 2 minutes ago) reading a thread on my PC and it cut out again error 502. It came back one minute later.

Howard

Just now, howardang said:

I was (just 2 minutes ago) reading a thread on my PC and it cut out again error 502. It came back one minute later.

Howard

If using Windows please try opening up command prompt on your computer and type ipconfig /flushdns and press return. 

Otherwise I expect the changes I made will propagate out shortly.