Reduction in River licence

christophert

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Fairest maybe but it would strongly discourage boating. I like "all you can eat" payment models which encourage boaters to actually go out and boat!

Seconded, as someone who travels an average of over 1350 miles per year. I would have to reduce that travel significantly if it was all pay per use.

Also as owner of a 67ft boat, I am happy to help subsidise those Northern canals which i cannot use - as long as there is adequate maintenance of those canals which I can and do use (sadly of course there is not)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The EA actually work on an area basis (length x beam) which works well for skip-shaped boats, but for 'proper boats' which taper at the bow and stern they are paying for 'area' they don't have (beam is taken at the single widest point)

Only on the Thames.

Nene, Gt Ouse, Medway etc are all just by length with no extra for being over 7ft

5 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Now why am I beginning to think this is a duplicate account of a certain other member who complains about licences at certain marinas?

No, not a duplicate account as new to here. 

Your reply to my post was - 

Tough!
Get over it and pay what you signed up for.

And not all car insurance companies have been offering money back.

Really intelligent answer Mr.Davis. I'm pretty amazed you can actually think!

31 minutes ago, christophert said:

No, not a duplicate account as new to here. 

Your reply to my post was - 

Tough!
Get over it and pay what you signed up for.

And not all car insurance companies have been offering money back.

Really intelligent answer Mr.Davis. I'm pretty amazed you can actually think!

You still haven't explained how your licence fees increased tenfold over 10 years.

People are unnecessarily being harsh to OP, he instigated a debate and has some good point.(although I disagree, because I dont think CRT wont spend significantly less money on maintenance just because canals are closed)

Has anybody else made similar point in another old  thread, I feel a sense of deja vu.

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

People are unnecessarily being harsh to OP, he instigated a debate and has some good point.(although I disagree, because I dont think CRT wont spend significantly less money on maintenance just because canals are closed)

Has anybody else made similar point in another old  thread, I feel a sense of deja vu.

More than once in the last week (or so)

17 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I dont think CRT wont spend significantly less money on maintenance just because canals are closed

They have cut back spending to the bone so it will be hard to spend less .......... ;)

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Wide beam boats have been known to travel the North Oxford to get to Dunchurch Pools Marina.

Lost you sorry. Not familiar with the area where this fits with the thread? 70ft boats can't do the Leeds and Liverpool. 

Daniel

5 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

Narrowbeams can also breast up when mooring in popular areas so one widebeam in that case uses the space that two narrowbeams can use, yet is only paying 65% of what the two narrowboats pay.

Boating is slow so I'd say the vast majority of boaters don't visit all of the network they can access, so all of us are paying for facilities that we don't actually use regardless of length - so I'm not sure that this should really be a criterion. Though I suppose you're right that widebeams shouldn't be paying for the upkeep of narrow locks that they could never actually use. So perhaps 20% more is reasonable? Personally - as the owner of a 65' boat - I'm very happy to pay towards the upkeep of the Leeds and Liverpool even though I can't use it - for me it would be a great tragedy if we were to lose any more of our canals due to disuse. Not being able to access some of the network was a sacrifice we consciously decided to make when we bought our boat.

Oh absolutely, that's the other side of it for sure.

Our boat, over the last 29 years has covered basically the entire network from the top of the Lancaster to the bottom of the Thames, well Limehouse anyway! Wakefield, Avon onto the Tideway onto the Seven, Froghall. 

Daniel

Using the words Tenfold was a poor choice and not accurate. When I purchased the boat, my licence was £724 yearly, and now I'm paying £1150

I believe it would be a positive move for boat owners in marinas if C&RT offered a discount while lockdown is in place. 

3 minutes ago, christophert said:

Using the words Tenfold was a poor choice and not accurate. When I purchased the boat, my licence was £724 yearly, and now I'm paying £1150

I believe it would be a positive move for boat owners in marinas if C&RT offered a discount while lockdown is in place. 

lol, and I believe you have a boat in a marina.......

but as an "in betweener", please explain ?

Edited by LadyG

15 minutes ago, christophert said:

That's pretty much about 3% per annum (over 10 years) which is not a great deal above the average inflation rate over the last 10 years.

image.png.29deecbc11c7a717a6dd43755026b87e.png

41 minutes ago, christophert said:

On here, at least, you will get no support for that type of thinking. Take, for instance, the marina itself; their connection fee is calculated on having a full marina. If it is completely empty, that fee is still due. Calculated at 9% of the mooring fees, for a full marina. Unfortunately, pound signs and the prospect of profit leads a marina to sign a contract which leaves the marina stuffed, if they are failing. That contract also causes you to have to pay for a licence inside private property. So, you cannot leave the marina. For all intents and purposes, you have no access during lock-down. If you did try, the same people who won't support you will scream at you for trying to leave the marina and breaking the lock-down. 

Please don't try and make any sense of the situation. Many on here love the nonsense and so will remain powerless.

Edited by Higgs

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's pretty much about 3% per annum (over 10 years) which is not a great deal above the average inflation rate over the last 10 years.

image.png.29deecbc11c7a717a6dd43755026b87e.png

Yes, you're right. Sadly for many people, wages and pensions struggle to compete with inflation

9 minutes ago, Higgs said:

On here, at least, you will get no support for that type of thinking. Take, for instance, the marina itself; their connection fee is calculated on having a full marina. If it is completely empty, that fee is still due. Calculated at 9% of the mooring fees, for a full marina. Unfortunately, pound signs and the prospect of profit leads a marina to sign a contract which leaves the marina stuffed, if they are failing. That contract also causes you to have to pay for a licence inside private property. So, you cannot leave the marina. For all intents and purposes, you have no access during lock-down. If you did try, the same people who won't support you will scream at you for trying to leave the marina and breaking the lock-down. 

Please don't try and make any sense of the situation. Many on here love the nonsense and so will remain powerless.

Thank you for your wise advice.?

2 hours ago, christophert said:

59% increase over 10 years (assuming you mean a decade is 10 years , if not please do say ) would be about 5% per year  so that sound like a bit more than inflation.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

59% increase over 10 years (assuming you mean a decade is 10 years , if not please do say ) would be about 5% per year  so that sound like a bit more than inflation.

I've just had a look at what I paid out in the last 10 years on a 58 ft. boat and it works out at about 3% per year.

Just had a phone conversation with someone who has a canal trading licence and just paid with a 25% discount due to the current events.  Anyone else on 'ere know this to be fact.  If so, then there is a precedent for CRT to do something similar to us oafs and cretins?  Maybe a discount on all renewals based on the length of the lockdown. Not unreasonable.

24 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

Just had a phone conversation with someone who has a canal trading licence and just paid with a 25% discount due to the current events.  Anyone else on 'ere know this to be fact.  If so, then there is a precedent for CRT to do something similar to us oafs and cretins?  Maybe a discount on all renewals based on the length of the lockdown. Not unreasonable.

Are you tired of life. You don't propose such a thing on here. It's almost like trying to convert to Catholicism in an Islamic country. ?

Edited by Higgs

23 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

That's a bit unfair. I don't think any of us like the situation. All of us want to be out boating and all of us want the canals to be well maintained when we do.

Would you expect to be recompensed, for the failure of your service provider to provide you with a service for months? Moorers in a marina pay for access, on top of the licence fee. I'm not sure how far you want to stretch the term - unfair. Or, how far you're prepared to accept fairness, if you go without your internet service., and continue paying for it.  

Edited by Higgs