Boat Named "Jamie"? Does anyone have a photo?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

I have just been having a chat with the lovely couple that we used to moor next to at Hatherton Marina. Their current boat is called Baker's Dozen  (Their surname is Baker). Ron built the boat himself. Before he retired his foundry used to bend the metal to supply the bow and stern sections for Les Allen boats and he has memories going back to childhood of the canals in the black country as his grandfather set up a foundry (I think in the mid 40's?) next to one of the inclined planes where coal was delivered by boat

The previous boat he built in 1976  and it was called Baker's Boy. He mentioned to me that he would love to see a photo of his old boat again. He said it was around 35' long and they spent a lot of time boating on it with their two young children. They both have such fond memories of their times boating. 

He said the last he heard of his old boat it was owned by quite an elderly lady whomoored it on The Stratford Canal and it was called "Jamie"

He has been trying to find a photo that might have the CRT registration number on it but without any joy. 

I can find this on CanalplanAC - 

Jamie Built by Homemade Craft - Length : 10 metres ( 32 feet 10 inches ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 999 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 78265 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

I can't be certain that is the correct vessel and I am not certain I have got all the details as correct as I would like. I now it is a long shot but does anyone know if this boat might still be around somewhere or perhaps have a photo of it at all? 

Please do not put any current owner in a compromised position by posting details of it's current location on here.  I would just love to try and bring a smile to dear old Ron's face by letting him know his boat is still around. He is struggling in lock down having to chop logs in the garden (even though he no longer has a stove to burn them in) He will be 82 next month and seeing as we can't share a curry with them to celebrate perhaps I can get some information on his old boat for him? 

• Greenie 2

• 1 year later...

Having just spent a thoroughly pleasurable couple of hours chatting on the phone to Ron and Margaret Baker who built this boat they have told me they spoke to a gentleman who used to own the boat some years back at Hawne Basin (where their current boat is moored) 

He said he believes Jamie is on the River Avon. 

He was telling me about the time them took the boat down The Anderton Boat Lift and on The Weaver and through Salt Marsh Lock (this was before the boat lift had been out of action for many years). He mentioned about a broken down boat he towed back to Lymm and the owner was so grateful he took him in his posh sports car to fetch his car where he had left it at Kidsgrove. 

He was also telling me about the time they took the boat out of Limehouse Lock on the Tidal Thames and about the J4 van he got the original BMC engine from but had to pay £50 for a brand new BMC gearbox! 

They have a lot of old Polaroid pictures of the boat from their years boating on it with their young family. 

They understand that the owner of the boat may want to remain private but, if anyone does know the owner and can ask them if they would like to get in touch with the builder of his boat and perhaps piece together some of the history of the boat then they would love to make contact. I have permission to pass on their phone number to the owner of the boat so if you are in a position to be able to check if the owner of Jamie wants too be put in touch then please let me know by PM