Is Jim Shead still around?

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Good information, thanks.

He posted on his site in September last year, so his retirement is quite recent.

A great canal man who has given the canal community good service.

Sorry if he is unwell  Best wishes to him. Thankyou Jim. 

• Greenie 1

On 21/04/2020 at 12:01, alan_fincher said:

He is definitely on Facebook as obviously him....         .....it seems likely he is still very  much about.

That is good to heard. Although sorry to hear he may be unwell.

On 21/04/2020 at 23:07, Mrs Trackman said:

A few years ago, maybe three? We were going down farmer's bridge and a well dressed, tall man started getting locks ready ahead of us. He introduced himself as, 'Jim' ...

Could have written the same thing myself, I think we were on Emilyanne at the time, so I am sure he has clocked the boat, had a lovely chat while the rest of the crew worked the boat through. Long my his health be with him, something said even less lightly at these times than most. 

I've had a very similar encounter with yourself Mr Denney, also in Birmingham I believe. 

20 hours ago, StephenA said:

Domain only expired recently.           It's a pity that he's had to let it go.

I wonder if it it was intentional, although at times, sometimes best to let things rest. I wonder if anyone has a copy of the site other than the wayback machine,

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, peter n said:

Although the whois entry containtains a for sale ad. for the domain, so catch the  content while  it is  visible if you want it! 

Latest expiry date is now shown as 2021, updated on 5th May, so it appears that it has been renewed. The site is running as of todays date.

Irrespective of any new owner of a domain name, most of the data will still be available on archive.org, I still have a chuckle at some of my early developements from 1998.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I can't access subscribers list, GDPR and all that. 

By the way, I have since found that the content on jim-shead.com is back up, and I will mention this correction in the next issue, but I did hear from someone with knowledge that he's not well, and he hasn't responded to our emails.  The domain was definitely 'for sale' a few weeks ago, so I still am not sure what's happened. 

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately the Internet Archive only takes snapshots of a small number of a site's pages - you may be lucky and find what you want but I'm stuck with a few dead-ends!   Alas Jim's excellent resource is not available any more. [The Boat Listing is now a separate matter hosted elsewhere and seems to need updating.]

However, the domain could be reinstated if he wished but the hosting of the incredible amount of information will need to be funded, although not too expensive.

I guess the 'gift lies with Jim' and if he is sadly suffering ill-health - this is the last thing he would want to be involved with. Hopefully a friend with like interests might be prepared to seek Jim's approval and reinstate it?

If nothing else, this certainly serves to make me think about legacy consideration for my websites.

Edited by NigelT

• 7 months later...

It now appears to be down again, pages of chinese characters for 'cure select' which is a shame.

I wonder if someone can secure a complete copy of the site and or domain name and re-host it for him?

Daniel