Is Jim Shead still around?

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont do farcebook but I see he has a farcebook page. If you are a member can you look on that and see if its active?

I found two - but one is American, and I could see no waterways references on the other one's site.

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

I found two - but one is American, and I could see no waterways references on the other one's site.

He is definitely on Facebook as obviously him - narrow boat features as his page header.

He was being sent birthday wishes by many people last August, so it seems likely he is still very  much about.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

He is definitely on Facebook as obviously him - narrow boat features as his page header.

Interesting: that one does not appear on my Face Book screen. Good news though, thanks for posting it.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Interesting: that one does not appear on my Face Book screen. Good news though, thanks for posting it.

Thats the one that came up on google when I put his name in search engine. Can a member not just look and see if hes said what he has had for dinner or whatever they do on there to see if hes around?

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Thats the one that came up on google when I put his name in search engine. Can a member not just look and see if hes said what he has had for dinner or whatever they do on there to see if hes around?

A facebook user can only see anothers details such as what they had for dinner if they are "friends" with that user.  A friend request has to approved first.

Just now, Alway Swilby said:

A facebook user can only see anothers details such as what they had for dinner if they are "friends" with that user.  A friend request has to approved first.

Ya learn summit every day.

4 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Well actually, being pedantic, it depends how one chooses to post such details.

Whilst posts being visible to just "friends", or maybe "friends plus friends of friends" may be more usual, it is equally possible to make posts "public" so anybody can see them, whether "friends" or not.

As it happens I can see Jim Shead's posts and photos, but I'm not a Facebook "friend" of Jim Shead, so he has actually made many of his posts public, (whether that be intentional, or by accident).

Thanks for starting this thread, because it has caused me to find a rather nice photo of a working boat pair taken in 1968 at Hillmorton, where there is a reasonable chance that the Willow Wren motor boat in use s our "Flamingo".  It's not a picture I have seen before, and it to me a lot more interesting than what Jim may or may not have eaten recently (!)

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

The most recent version of his home page at the Internet Archive is date 17 September 2019.

http://web.archive.org/web/20190917131741/http://jim-shead.com:80/waterways/index.php

There is a contact link on this site with email him, may be someone who knows him could try that

A few years ago, maybe three? We were going down farmer's bridge and a well dressed, tall man started getting locks ready ahead of us. He introduced himself as, 'Jim' and offered to come on with us down Aston locks as he could get a train back. He told us he'd lived on a boat but that his wife became unable to manage any longer so they lived beside farmer's bridge locks and he liked to help people do the locks. I can't remember why but he gave us his business card before he left us, at which we realised who he was-Jim Shead, a thoroughly lovely man and we were thrilled to have met him this way. He told us that he was no longer doing the updating of the boat listing.

• Greenie 3

20 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

That is not totally correct, the Facebook user can select what information is viewable to non friends.

I have just looked at Jim Shead's FB page (He is not a FB friend but I do have 30+ mutual friends) and can see his posts.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

42 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

That is not totally correct, the Facebook user can select what information is viewable to non friends.

I have just looked at Jim Shead's FB page (He is not a FB friend but I do have 30+ mutual friends) and can see his posts.

Tim

I think you can probably see all my details, I dont put things on there that I am not happy for anyone to read

Domain only expired recently

Domain Name: JIM-SHEAD.COM
Registry Domain ID: 68716368_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com
Registrar URL: http://tucowsdomains.com
Updated Date: 2020-04-07T02:48:30
Creation Date: 2001-04-03T02:18:57
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2020-04-03T02:18:57

It's a pity that he's had to let it go.

14 hours ago, Andrew Denny said:

I have since heard that Jim is now retired due to ill-health. 

His domain is gone, but the invaluable website can be found on the Wayback Machine at 

https://web.archive.org/web/20190917131741/http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/index.php 

Good information, thanks.

He posted on his site in September last year, so his retirement is quite recent.