The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Just now, Golden Boyz said:

Can anyone help with how to register please? We have a team together & have scrolled through hundreds of messages saying I need to enter by midday but can't for the life of me find an entry form - failing at the first hurdle!

Yes, the organisation is rubbish!

We had the same issue.

• Horror 1

1 minute ago, Golden Boyz said:

Can anyone help with how to register please? We have a team together & have scrolled through hundreds of messages saying I need to enter by midday but can't for the life of me find an entry form - failing at the first hurdle!

You need to PM @cheshire~rose

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

There is going to be some challenges in that team, do you go for the trophy or the wooden spoon...?

The trophy of course. You are all doomed. Barnier's Stern Gland will wipe the floor with you all!

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The trophy of course. You are all doomed. Barnier's Stern Gland will wipe the floor with you all!

Always remember to use Stern Gland grease - it's better than Dripping!

12 minutes ago, Golden Boyz said:

See post 55. You need to send a direct message to @cheshire~rose including the email address that they should use.

On 19/04/2020 at 19:37, cheshire~rose said:

Safe Social Distancing moorings on the BCN have been provided at specific junctions, and mooring is only permitted at these locations. Any unused time cannot be carried forward from day to day, and any unused time will be lost. If a crew fails to reach a COVID safe location for the night a points deduction is to be applied in respect of the time it would take to reach the nearest safe haven.

Given the limited use of the BCN in recent months, canal and lock conditions are variable. Whilst the organisers will do all they can to maintain a fully operational system, some unexpected delays may occur on certain canals and any temporary stoppages will be announced before each day’s cruise.

Each Participating crew must ensure that they end their Virtual BCN Challenge at Bradley Workshops no later than 6pm on Saturday 9th May 2020. Failure to arrive at the destination by the deadline will result in a points deduction equivalent to the time taken to reach the official destination from the point their virtual cruise came to an end. Final score sheet must be received by the organisers NO LATER THAN 6:30pm on Saturday 9th May 2020.

To answer @john6767 's question regarding penalty for being late

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

With the clock ticking it seems like there is a flurry of last minute entries.  I would be nice to see who is on once the deadline has passed!

Indeed

potentially 14 teams so far!

There is steam coming off my keyboard trying to keep up with all the communications!

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Golden Boyz said:

Thank you all I have contacted Jan & we're in by the skin of our teeth lol

Given the deadline was Saturday 3rd May you have until 2025 to get your entry in.

6 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

There is steam coming off my keyboard trying to keep up with all the communications!

Is this a good time to ask for a change to the rules, or are they set in stone (well silicon!) now?

Asking for a friend, obviously.

23 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Captain Ahab (and a lot of other people) ourselves included)  did know that BUT for the purposes or brevity and to save an entire paragraph to describe which section we meant a little like you have done here it seemed simpler to describe it the way I did as everyone would be aware which section we were referring to. 

So surely, as part of the BCN, Fazeley to Whittington should score points?

☺️

Hello! I only heard about this challenge about 15 minutes ago so am already late to the party. I don't have a team, but I single-hand a lot so that's ok. I have found the post how to register, but where can I see the rules of the game? I am not that familiar with the BCN (let alone the forgotten parts), but would give this a go if I can find out if it's actually possible to do this without knowing it all.

And ... is it still possible to register??

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

Hello! I only heard about this challenge about 15 minutes ago so am already late to the party. I don't have a team, but I single-hand a lot so that's ok. I have found the post how to register, but where can I see the rules of the game? I am not that familiar with the BCN (let alone the forgotten parts), but would give this a go if I can find out if it's actually possible to do this without knowing it all.

Welcome the boss will be along soon

@cheshire~rose

Don't agree to buy anything, especially noodles

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

Hi Lizzy

send me a PM with an email address I can send some infor out to please.

click on the pink roses next to my name to send a personal message

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

So what is your team actually called?

Is it Barnier, as in Michel the EU chief negotiator bloke?

Or Marnier, as in Grand?

I’m guessing the former as your introductory cruise log post went over my head with the name.

22 minutes ago, David Mack said:

☺️

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

☺️

2 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

So surely as we are following the premise of The Real BCN Challenge to encourage use of lesser known and used canal of the BCN it doesn't need to be allowed.

.... and don't call me surely ?

15 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

I only heard about this challenge about 15 minutes ago so am already late to the party.

I don't have a team

where can I see the rules of the game?

I am not that familiar with the BCN (let alone the forgotten parts), but would give this a go

is it still possible to register??

You sound like a natural BCN challenger, welcome! :D

This sort of thing is quite common for the challenge, so this virtual one is already performing as expected.

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

So what is your team actually called?

Is it Barnier, as in Michel the EU chief negotiator bloke?

Or Marnier, as in Grand?

I’m guessing the former as your introductory cruise log post went over my head with the name.

Of course it is Barnier's Stern Gland. I will whip the muppet who made that typo.

• Haha 3