The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

A huge thank you to all the teams for all your hard work.

Now....... can we have a drumroll for the results:

1.      501.75 - Team Indigo Dream ?

2.      491.87 - Team Firefly ?

3.      468.75 - Team Rebellion ?

4.      450.25 – The Workers

5.      433.75 – Urban Moorings

6.      393.00 – Whisky Galore

7.      391.30 – Team NB Styxl

8.      359.45 – Team Pugnipeek

9.      338.50 – Steaming Behind

10.   245.50 – Sugar & Spice

11.   242.75 – Anado Solo

12.   40.5 – Team Willum

13.   21.75 – Team Biscuits

14.   -3.37 – Barnier’s Stern Gland

Thanks to the organisers again. Plus special thanks from me to all the other challengers who entertained, informed, amused and amazed me over the six days.

My raw stats as submitted were:

Locks  34

Miles  83 (including duplications)

Points  226.75 (without bonus, quiz, penalties etc)

Is there an expanded version of the above table with approved points, daily challenge points, bonuses, penalties locks, miles crew size, etc, etc...  ? Those of us who don't have boats, experience, books or knowledge just love statistics.

KiwiBill

11 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

If a mistake was spotted it was always very obviously just a mistake and with the exception of The Biscuits (who we always knew was going to be trubble!) there was never any indication of anyone attempting to bend or stretch the rules. 

Yeah, thanks Jan.

Did you want this birthday present or not? :D

• Haha 1

Thanks all who were involved in the whole idea, it really did keep me occupied, mistakes and all, it’s a great concept as no matter how the real BCN Challenge goes nobody will be able to use the 60 miles, it also gave people like me that have a boat all be it a Willderness Trailboat sat in the garden to have a go at the challenge, a few years ago the small Willderness boats used to be active on the challenge as they are shallow draugted and can travel up very shallow sections.

For me it was great and were it to happen again I would definitely take,part as it could be done at any time of year aswell

Again many thanks all

Kevin

Sugar n Spice

• Love 2

Team Whisky Galore would like to thank all theose involved in organizing and judging the challenge. We learnt a lot about the BCN and especially the lost 60miles. It has made me want to cruise the northern sections of the BCN again. It has also made us realise how important to the well being of the BCN that the restoration of the Lichfield and Hatherton canal and the Bradley locks branch are.

Many thanks

Richard

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

One thing this virtual challenge has really brought home to me is just how the scenery has changed, even in the last 50 years. It has gone from sparse barren industrial with open panoramic views across the area, to tree enclosed urban housing,or white boxes, in lots and lots of places, with hedges and trees everywhere. The Canals have become very green corridors. It is now so very very different, even from when I was a lad, and going back 100 and 200 years it is amazing what the differences are.
Contrast and compare!

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

11 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

You make it sound as if you feel you have something to justify, or apologise for. You don't. You arranged a week of fun that kept us from being bored and which gave us all a lot of enjoyment. For that we all thank you!

I agree! we had a lot of fun within our crew, bringing a variety of skills to bear to the various challenges. A good distraction from the rest of the week. I agree with all the comments above, I think you got the overall approach to setting the challenge and marking the results just right - and I am not saying that just because Indigo Dreamers won.

I learnt a lot about the BCN, both the bits I have cruised, the parts I never did, and the parts I hope to soon (eg L&H). I did wonder if next year's challenge could include some points for campaigning activities, maybe walking up the Bradley Arm with a windlass to set the locks, and tranship a bag of coal from the bottom lock to the top?  

• Greenie 1

The whole point as I see the BCN challenge (both virtual and real) from the point of view of the organisers is two fold.
1) it is to get the canals used that is why the bonus scheme exists so that the less used canals give you more points,

2) to prove to other boaters that actually the BCN is somewhere well worth exploring, and that it is as safe if not safer than any other place on the cut.

To achieve these aims they have to encourage a wide range of people to join in.
There are those that attend to win. There are those that are there for the Beer, and other for the camaraderie or some both.
There are those that attend because its a fun, and/or a personal challenge, and others who do it because they see it as the right things to do and want to uphold the organisers aims. I fall into this later category, well I would have to say that, using one of the deepest draught boats to use the BCN, 2.5mph is so much faster that my wildest dreams when planning normally, 1mph for the Daw end is what I use.

So this challenge has been no different than any of the other challenges I have attended, in the past, I did not do it to win, but to travel canals I wanted to bag. I failed to touch the Lichfield and Hatherton, because hopefully within my lifetime I will be able to do these for real :) It has been illuminating just how the competitive ones go about winning.

Personally I think the time has come to change how the points are now distributed, rather than a fixed system which definitely favours the NE segment, and doing lots of locks, I would make it a lot harder, I would have satellite tracing in real time, visible to all, and points for being the furthest away from other competitors, this would mean that the whole system would be more used. How is that for a radical idea?

In all the times I have done the challenge this is only the second time I have reached the end point, normally we are stuck with a bladeful somewhere near Walsall or some such place ;)

Again I would like to thank those that put this together and all those others over the years that have done the real comp, it is not easy and it can seem to be thankless, but you are achieving your aims, I think so please carry on .

Edited by Ian Mac
Dyslexia!!
  • Greenie 2

11 hours ago, Capt Ahab said:

Next time...... we will know where to come to test run the exercise and flush out the unintended consequences. Sadly, after working out the core model of the game we ran out of space on the back of our fag packet!

Like Scholar Gypsy I would echo other peoples' comments.

I think the Team setting this year's challenge has done an exceptional job, thank you. 

In some ways this was more tiring than the real event as the extra-curricular content was challenging plus there was the w o r k thing to cope with. I loved getting hold of the other 60 miles book, loved learning more about those 60 miles + that Gospel Oak arm extension, I don't do much social media so good to watch some Capt Ahab's videos which were new to me.  This was so different to a normal year, we know there are bits we can do faster (eg Walsall or the Crow) but of course we loose that advantage here, choice of route is complex normally but now with different scoring and an extra 61 miles it becomes way more complicated. Fantastic stuff, thank you.

Debate about the rules can go on for ever but like in a game of rugby you do not challenge or argue with the referee, you accept the decision and move on or go back 10 locks every time you argue.

I don't think we published this so here is Hadfield's hand drawn tube map of the BCN . . .

bcn-tube-map.JPG.177b1422da7aca08b7b893ee84ba8ee5.JPG

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, RichardN said:

Like Scholar Gypsy I would echo other peoples' comments.

I think the Team setting this year's challenge has done an exceptional job, thank you. 

In some ways this was more tiring than the real event as the extra-curricular content was challenging plus there was the w o r k thing to cope with. I loved getting hold of the other 60 miles book, loved learning more about those 60 miles + that Gospel Oak arm extension, I don't do much social media so good to watch some Capt Ahab's videos which were new to me.  This was so different to a normal year, we know there are bits we can do faster (eg Walsall or the Crow) but of course we loose that advantage here, choice of route is complex normally but now with different scoring and an extra 61 miles it becomes way more complicated. Fantastic stuff, thank you.

Debate about the rules can go on for ever but like in a game of rugby you do not challenge or argue with the referee, you accept the decision and move on or go back 10 locks every time you argue.

I don't think we published this so here is Hadfield's hand drawn tube map of the BCN . . .

bcn-tube-map.JPG.177b1422da7aca08b7b893ee84ba8ee5.JPG

With my new found knowledge, I can see that Tipton Green Canal in shown incorrectly, that’s a bit geeky.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, john6767 said:

With my new found knowledge, I can see that Tipton Green Canal in shown incorrectly, that’s a bit geeky.

I did not even know there had been a Tipton Green Canal till this event!

We had that debate about position.

Is that photo of the Chemical Arm entrance, no it is the entrance to the Black Country Museum. Hmm looks pretty chemical.

Don't we turn before there?

Scurry off to re-check maps, no we turn after.

Is it two canals after we cross the new main line (sounding our horn appropriately)? Well sort of.

Oh what happened there? Bound to be a Capt Ahab video somewhere . . .

• Greenie 1

A big thanks to the organisers of this event and the hard work they and the teams have put in. Congratulations to Indigo Dreamers for their win. 

Really enjoyed following the event, and enjoyed reading the cruise logs as and when I had time between 12hr shifts at work. Enjoyed reading about the history and stories of the people teams met along the way, along with the historical facts and descriptions of the BCN in times past. Particularly enjoyed some of the old photos, several that I haven't seem before so thanks for that. 

Found it fascinating trying to work out where teams were at times in their logs, and working out the route of some of the old branches was interesting. It's had me digging out and going through my collection of BCN books again!

Thanks again. Time already booked off for next year's actual challenge and hope to see some of you there! 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I found it fascinating that the Tipton green canal was built first and went down the hill further that it did by 1900, when the last few locks had become disused. and the communication link had been built.  Did they have to be abandoned back then or not? Or are they still legally open? An interesting research project for those that like going to Kew. I also became intreged by the arm which went off just below the mainline as it too appeared to have locks on it in once source I skimmed by.

21 hours ago, Ian Mac said:

<snip> I would have satellite tracing in real time, visible to all, and points for being the furthest away from other competitors, this would mean that the whole system would be more used. How is that for a radical idea?
<snip

It is widely reported that one positive thing that has come out of  the Covid-19 pandemic is that the world has been able to turn to modern technology to stay in touch with family and friends or their work colleagues and schools in a way that, only a few years ago, would have completely impossible.

I think it has also led to a lot of people who were previously happy without the need to dip their toes into this new fangled technological nonsense feeling they out to at least try it to be able to stay in touch with those who are important in their lives.

I actually think your suggestion of having all the particpants boats fitted with a tracker could be an interesting one. I can already hear the cries of objection for a multitude of different reasons BUT something I learned from organising this is that years ago the challenge used to have marshals who were posted at junctions to watch out for participating boats passing.

Obviously at some point it was realised that they were not neccessary and since then I presume the carefully calculated score sheet shows up anyone claiming to have done something that is probably impossible in real time.

On 10/05/2020 at 23:09, Postcode said:

It also took our minds away from the fact that the plans I had for Jan's significant birthday were all cancelled. We didn't have time to dwell on it for 6 days or so which is just as well since we couldn't get half the ingredients we needed for a birthday meal (to happen tomorrow now).

I am glad the challenge was so well received and possibly more spontaneous for the lack of lengthy and detailed planning.

Dave

Another good thing to come out of this challenge is that my OH has finally posted something on the forum! The first time in 5 years!

I met him 13 years ago (at a CWDF Banter) and later when we became an "item" he pretty much gave up posting saying that he had a social secretary to do that sort of thing for him! He did ask me how he could change his forum avatar and I did tell him and I thought he had done it but I see he probably hasnt!

My absence from the forum (and from the internet generally) was very much needed after a week of studying cruise logs, and tallying up scores. I don't recall being under such pressure while sat in front of a computer screen since working for a major courier company during the week one of their planes had to land at Birmingham airport without it's landing gear down :)

So after a week of drooling over all those wonderful foody creations and reading your wonderfully creative virtual cruise logs I spent an entire day immersed in cookey in our kitchen and loved every minute of it.  It always gives me time to think when I am cooking and so I went on a bit of a virtual journey though my memories with my food preparation yesterday and I am going to be a bit indulgent and do my own little log to share if nobody minds.

I will be revisiting everyone's cruise logs to catch up on what has been posted as time allows

• Greenie 2

I also just realised! If you scroll just a bit further up this page to posts 730 (By @Postcode) and 731 (By @Capt Ahab)

you have two posts next to each other that are "The rest of the team"

Because I am the one who has been doing most of the posting through this challenge I appear to have picked up a lot of greenies (thank you) but often I was simply reposrting something that had been suggested or done by one of these two guys. The challenge could not have happened without them so can I just ask you all to scroll back and pop a greenie on post 730 and 731 to show your appreciation of the two people who have been working hard behind the scenes

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

It is widely reported that one positive thing that has come out of  the Covid-19 pandemic is that the world has been able to turn to modern technology to stay in touch with family and friends or their work colleagues and schools in a way that, only a few years ago, would have completely impossible.

I think it has also led to a lot of people who were previously happy without the need to dip their toes into this new fangled technological nonsense feeling they out to at least try it to be able to stay in touch with those who are important in their lives.

I actually think your suggestion of having all the particpants boats fitted with a tracker could be an interesting one. I can already hear the cries of objection for a multitude of different reasons BUT something I learned from organising this is that years ago the challenge used to have marshals who were posted at junctions to watch out for participating boats passing.

Obviously at some point it was realised that they were not neccessary and since then I presume the carefully calculated score sheet shows up anyone claiming to have done something that is probably impossible in real time.

Having some form of tracker on the real challenge could make the scoring easier and near real time. It would also prevent false accounting as I could easily go on to canal planner, enter a route using something like 3 mph and 4 minutes per lock and then submit that as my actual route regardless of whether I got held up anywhere. The timings would stand up to scrutiny but from practical experience it is unlikely that those timings would be achievable and covering that sort of distance would probably need to cruise some of the 6 hour rest period.

A few years ago I started looking at creating a web site where you would log in and submit your time at each junction by clicking on a location aware web page but I didn't ever finish it off.

21 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Having some form of tracker on the real challenge could make the scoring easier and near real time. It would also prevent false accounting as I could easily go on to canal planner, enter a route using something like 3 mph and 4 minutes per lock and then submit that as my actual route regardless of whether I got held up anywhere. The timings would stand up to scrutiny but from practical experience it is unlikely that those timings would be achievable and covering that sort of distance would probably need to cruise some of the 6 hour rest period.

A few years ago I started looking at creating a web site where you would log in and submit your time at each junction by clicking on a location aware web page but I didn't ever finish it off.

I don’t know it anyone used it last year, but one of the options that Sue was offer was a hosted spreadsheet, which you could do as you went, rather than filling in a local spreadsheet and emailing at the end.  The issue is of course internet connection, but I don’t think it would be hard to have a log it as you go type system.  You could I think relatively easily do it as a mobile web app so it could use gps as as it went as well, but that of course assumes each boat has a smart phone.

47 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

A few years ago I suggested on the forum that each participant should use a smartphone cycling/running/walking app that automatically shows your position on a google map, which anyone could look at. But back then this wasn't really practical as:

- not everyone had a smartphone.

- I had a company BlackBerry, but BB were then in decline and the new apps were all for android and iOS.

- I did find apps which could upload to an online map, but not which could show several different phone locations on a single map.

- mobile phone tariffs at the time had limited data making it potentially costly to constantly update one's position.

I suspect none of these are really barriers now. So if someone knows of a suitable app (or has the ability to write one) maybe we could do this next year.

Not too local, but the link below brings up a google map showing the real time location of Toronto's streetcars and buses. Something like this covering the BCN would be good! 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://totransit.ca/&ved=2ahUKEwjsi72fo67pAhXJTsAKHQITBW8QFjADegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1O_I2GnxwwaCJ81A-p0wsX

Edited by David Mack

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don’t know it anyone used it last year, but one of the options that Sue was offer was a hosted spreadsheet, which you could do as you went, rather than filling in a local spreadsheet and emailing at the end.  The issue is of course internet connection, but I don’t think it would be hard to have a log it as you go type system.  You could I think relatively easily do it as a mobile web app so it could use gps as as it went as well, but that of course assumes each boat has a smart phone.

That was the approach I was playing with, you called up the web page on your smart phone and clicked submit location which used the GPS location to record the current location along with the current time.  this detail was then all added to a map so anyone could monitor where the boats were.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

That was the approach I was playing with, you called up the web page on your smart phone and clicked submit location which used the GPS location to record the current location along with the current time.  this detail was then all added to a map so anyone could monitor where the boats were.

Yep, it would save all that shouting to the crew to record the time when you get to each junction