The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

If we’d had a Eurovision style voting system - wouldn’t that have been good - The Workers 12 points would have been contested between Team Rebellion and Team Styxl.

1 minute ago, smudgepuss said:

Well done Indigo Dreamers!  See you all next year with some actual canal action hopefully!

I do hope so. Well done on your virtual silver, sorry, bronze medal. ?

• Greenie 1

On 07/05/2020 at 13:57, cheshire~rose said:

It is with that in mind that I want to say, if you are enjoying this event, either from the perspective of a participant, or from the perspective of an onlooker perhaps you would consider making a small donation, either to The BCNS or to the forum.

We've made a small donation to each, but one thing we'll miss is having a challenge plaque.  Does anyone know what the minimum order on such things might be and if anyone at BCNS might be interested in getting some made to raise funds?

2 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

We've made a small donation to each, but one thing we'll miss is having a challenge plaque.  Does anyone know what the minimum order on such things might be and if anyone at BCNS might be interested in getting some made to raise funds?

Urban moorings have access to a laser cutting machine.

Would an engraved plywood one do?

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Hmm, maybe it would be in the spirit of the challenge for us each to make our own out of whatever we have lying about :)

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaay. Mr Biscuits..............we beat ya to it :D Mission accomplished...................its bloomin harder coming last than it seems!!

Just popped back from 1918 to see what the great grandkids are like but having seen them I am buggering of back to 1918 with some modern condoms!!

23 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

I always looked forward to finding out what was going to happen next in The Workers historical investigations.

Good to know it was being read. Over the last two days of the Challenge it felt a little like fatigue had set in and posts weren’t being read. It was nice to get about 6 or 7 greenies in a row last night when @Tom and Bex were reading through it.

Believe it or not the route was planned before any of the people who featured were selected. Our principle objective as a team was to cover Lichfield, Hatherton and Lapal.

• Greenie 1

I'm well impressed with a score of over 500 well done Team Indigo Dream ?

And well done to the other 5 teams which beat us and to all the other teams for being part of the great event.
I for one have learnt a lot and I will be sending a donation in too

The BCNS do not have a clickable link where you can donate but you can do so via online banking by using these details:

BCN Society
Barclays Bank
Sort Code 20-84-13
Account Number 60176419

Also this forum does not run on fresh air and could do with some help too. If you wish to donate to the forum you can do so here:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/store/category/6-make-a-donation-to-canal-world/

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaay. Mr Biscuits..............we beat ya to it :D Mission accomplished...................its bloomin harder coming last than it seems!!

No, it was a tough race for the wooden spoon as ever, and you had a great team to help you get nowhere.

Are you all going to put Clarrie back into her more usual shape or is @Laurie.Booth stuck with a folding submarine now?

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

No, it was a tough race for the wooden spoon as ever, and you had a great team to help you get nowhere.

Are you all going to put Clarrie back into her more usual shape or is @Laurie.Booth stuck with a folding submarine now?

Good question? Will have to ask him, he has got quite used to it and he may want to keep it for next years challenge so he can dive dive dive and hide on occasion.

I don’t know I go away for a couple of hourS to do stuff, and the results come out.

Well done to the Indigo Dreamers, and a big thank you to everyone who took part, and of course the organisers.  It provided a very good distraction to the current situation, but I had not appreciated how much work it would be.  Going to take things easy this week!

ps.  How do you get negative points?

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not mooring overnight on a covid-safe mooring at an approved junction.

It's similar to the penalty you accepted to get to Aldersley Junction, but for 5 nights!

But my penalty was 0 in that instance.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

But my penalty was 0 in that instance.

Only because it was on a non-scoring section, hence "similar".  On a scoring section, failure to reach an approved junction at the end of the day gets negative points based on how far away you are from one.

Trying to earn enough negative points to offset the challenges and quizzes and random bonuses is a lot harder than it looks.

Thank you to the organisers and our fellow participants for making this such a fun and challenging week - it's been a real tonic, literally, when our team 'zoomed' every day over a gin!

We're obviously not entering the debate on the scoring - on the real challenge it's not allowed and then there's gift horses and their legendary mouths! ?

In the meantime, I think our amazing crew - Simon of nb Shcolar Gypsy, Christine of nb Ketura and Emily of nb Indigo Dream (until she gets her own boat), and the resident hounds (here and at the rainbow bridge)  - have earned this classy trophy, because putting a post-it note on a fine piece of crystal is nowhere near the most bonkers thing that we've done this week!

Trophy

• Greenie 3