The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Oh Bill

Please keep on rambling.

Maybe you would like to continue your vitual cruise log and keep us posted on your virtaul travels "the long way round" via Austria. There is so much we all need to learn from people like you who have memories that go back further than ours and traverse different lands to those we know so well. Please take us all with you on your virtual journey, we want to share it with you so never, ever feel alone x

Agree. Really interesting story. And why I am proud to be a citizen of the world and not a little Englander celebrating our great victories. People's life stories involve travel, sometimes not their choice, and chance and it's great to read about it. Thankyou.

• Greenie 1

Thankyou so much Cheshire-Rose, Captain Ahab and judges. It was a great idea and good fun. Harder work than I expected, even though the rest of our crew did much of the work, but a great distraction and we found out interesting things, especially about the lost 60 miles. 

I'm already missing the daily report from the Aldridge field station which I eagerly turned to each morning. How am I to know the state of the BCN now? 

I'll miss you all. And realise we are still stuck in one place. 

• Sad 1

Some interesting numbers being posted for total miles and locks per day, on first look there seems to be some over 7hr days. Hopefully there will be clear explanations, such as that posted for The Workers, when the results are announced.

• Greenie 2

It doesn't help that all our miles were completed backwards, and that we went UP the Aston flight instead of down (thus reaching Spaghetti Junction), so our points total is -273 otherwise known as absolute zero.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Thankyou so much Cheshire-Rose, Captain Ahab and judges. It was a great idea and good fun. Harder work than I expected, even though the rest of our crew did much of the work, but a great distraction and we found out interesting things, especially about the lost 60 miles. 

I'm already missing the daily report from the Aldridge field station which I eagerly turned to each morning. How am I to know the state of the BCN now? 

I'll miss you all. And realise we are still stuck in one place. 

A friend of mine who lives in Walsall posted a video of the curly wyrley full of tadpoles and I thought "funny, we didn't see any when we went rounf there yesterday" - except we hadnt been round there, only in our minds! Such is the power of the imagination. ?

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Some interesting numbers being posted for total miles and locks per day, on first look there seems to be some over 7hr days. Hopefully there will be clear explanations, such as that posted for The Workers, when the results are announced.

I’m sure a peer review will sort all that out. It will be good to compare routes after the scores are announced.

24 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I don't think you can really tell anything in terms of time or points from the locks and miles.  for the points there are the section multipliers on the miles, and for time there is also duplicated sections to take into account.

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don't think you can really tell anything in terms of time or points from the locks and miles.  for the points there are the section multipliers on the miles, and for time there is also duplicated sections to take into account.

Thought this was on a different thread.

My comment was from one of the posts that provided their daily breakdown.

Edited by Rob-M

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Bluff

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

Bluff

No, just fact.  The spreadsheet does allow that, as the has the duplicate sections in there at 0 points, or at least ours does.  So it contribute to time but not to points.

Just now, john6767 said:

No, just fact.  The spreadsheet does allow that, as the has the duplicate sections in there at 0 points, or at least ours does.  So it contribute to time but not to points.

I’m sure we’ve all got that but what I meant was that’s just cover for how you’ve done your scoring.

8 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’m sure we’ve all got that but what I meant was that’s just cover for how you’ve done your scoring.

I don't think I am, and it does not matter how I do the scoring, it's how the organisers do it that counts anyway.  I suspect in this challenge more than other, there is a lot of points not related to the "cruising" part anyway.

12 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Are you lot waiting for a big announcement?

Not that bothered as I am proud to be last place, has anyone thought about doing it again, if so let me know and I will set about buying some books and maps as the lost 60 miles are definitely very interesting thanks to @Capt Ahab

Edited by Sugar n spice
Auto correct
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Are you lot waiting for a big announcement?

Sunday's Daily Challenge:

The organising committee are about to release a pile of random numbers.  For the next 24 hours see how many ways you can pick at how they came up with such obviously made up scoring based on one line in an email from April ...

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink
  • Haha 2

In keeping with tradition it would be usual to read out the scores in reverse order and as so many people know, one of the hardest fought traditions in the real BCN Challenge is for the Wooden Spoon award for last place.

Never in the history of the competition has there been so much apparent skulduggery going on to try and ensure that the Wooden Spoon award goes to the the most fitting place. Laurie with his boat Clarrie has a long standing tradition of getting the award and his inclusion in Team Barnier's Stern Gland was an attempt to ensure that happened.

Sadly it seems that their best efforts fell at the final hurdle when they went AWOL at the end of the competition and we thought we may have to disqualify them and give the award to the next in line. Thankfully we were able to use the time machine to go back to 1918 where we found the team enjoying a beer or three (in Bermuda shorts and sunglasses) They were far too inebriated to get a photo of the presentation ceremony but our roving reporter did take a photo of the celebrations on the street after the award was handed over:

0_PROD-Armistice-day-11th-November-1918-

We left the wooden spoon with Laurie's grandfather for safekeeping and he has assured us he will hand it down the generations in future years so Laurie probably already knew he won it but was keeping that information quiet when he went along for the ride with Team Barnier's Stern Gland

Many congratulations on keeping the tradition alive to that team

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1
  • Horror 1