The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Good morning Challengers

I hope you are all tucking into a heart breakfast in readniness for your final push to get to the end and earn as many points as possible along the route/

Here is today's bulletin on the condition of the BCN:

·    

·

I Having watched that we realised that one of our teams must have used their crystal ball at the start of the competition and has managed to completely bypass the problem today!  Well done @Ian Mac. It just goes to show that maybe having an 'oss is the best :) I hope this problem is not on the route of too many of ours teams today

Don't forget whisky galore with our trusty steed 

• Greenie 1

I didn't post this yesterday, I am sorry, better late than never though!

The panel have decided on the best cruise logs from Thursday and points have been awarded. Their comments and the issue of bonus points are as follows:

Indigo Dream because I've copied down the veggy faggot recipe. Dogs disappointed that I didn't have time for the liver cakes as well

Some of the blogs/logs make me wish I was there or bring back memories. Some read like a campaigning cruise. Others just seem full of in-jokes which may be funny or maybe not…

Styxl and Urban Moorings logs were in the “wish I was there” category. 

Firefly’s time machine, the software upgrades description was so true.

Anado Solo - bonus points for that bacon sandwich

Yet again Indigo Dreams deserves bonus points for their ghost story

I loved Team Workers passage of Dudley Tunnel, (though the gauge was a bit Pugnipeek). Also doing the Pensnett canal twice for fun deserves bonus points

I have to say those veggy faggots looks lush to me too and I might have to try that out (but don't tell him indoors that I am dishing up meet free stuff!)

I've found our old Monopoly set, the one that we were given as a gift when we collected our Chinese take-away meal. I still can't work out how to play the game, and it doesn't seem to be much help with the quiz either.

beijingmonopoly.jpg.ea9b4758f45d1515af9e981c1cb04b2f.jpg

chinese.jpg.640c77ca93660a631f6e7fe4c43aad05.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/05/2020 at 13:57, cheshire~rose said:

Today I have tasked myself with trying to go through each and every team cruise log and I have to say I am in awe of just how much time has been spent on research and creativity not to mention the large dose of imaginaton that everyone is applying to create their logs. I still have a lot more to read through but it occured to me that each time I laugh out loud or feel I want to share a poem, a film clip, a joke or a photo with someone there are probably a LOT more people who doing exactly the same and so I know all your hard work is actually keeping a lot of people amused through their lockdown. Thank you to all of your for that.

I think it is important to remember that this virtaul event is taking place because the real BCN challenge could not. The Real BCN Challenge is an important event in the calendar of The BCN Society and, as their event had to be cancelled due to Covid-19 this year they are missing out on the entry fees of a lot of participating boaters and a lot of donations that the event would usually generate.

It is also fair to say that without this fine forum tolerating all these teams mucking about with their virtaul cruise diaries we might well struggle to work out how this event could have been hosted. It is free to join this forum and it is free to read it as well but there are costs involved in it's existance and it doesn't hurt to remind people that, if they can afford to do so, bunging the cost of a round of drinks with your mates into the frum coffers may just help it continue to be free for everyone to enjoy

It is with that in mind that I want to say, if you are enjoying this event, either from the perspective of a participant, or from the perspective of an onlooker perhaps you would consider making a small donation, either to The BCNS or to the forum.

The BCNS do not have a clickable link where you can donate but you can do so via online banking by using these details:

BCN Society
Barclays Bank
Sort Code 20-84-13
Account Number 60176419

If you wish to donate to the forum you can do so here:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/store/category/6-make-a-donation-to-canal-world/

I am unashamedly sharing this again

If you are enjoying reading or taking part then please consider supporting the BCNS or the forum (or both) financially if you are able to

Edited by cheshire~rose
  • Love 1

We weren't expecting quite as many people to be taking part. We had placed an order with Batham's Brewery back in 1897 but I don't think there will be anough

bathams-peaky-blinders.jpg

Credit to Batham's Brewery

so Ansell's is sending over a dray in 1955

ansells-brewery-dray-and-tanker.jpg

Credit Ansell's Brewery

with an extra pint or two in tow behind

We are getting a marquee erected because there is a chance of some rain. We used a company that we are much more used to dealing with that is local to where we usually moor:

about-us.jpg

Credit To Mudford's

Mudford's also make great cloths for boats:

like on NB Python shown here passing another great brewery

image.png.46b1152f9d88a11668a8b1ee520cfd94.png

Edited by cheshire~rose
  • Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Swot

OK here is my own SWOT analysis of my role on the team of Indigo Dream

Strengths:           VHF operating procedures

Weakness:          Cooking
Opportunities:    Spooking out the Opposition (eg Curlitude)

Threats:               Others having misplaced confidence in my abilities.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

OK here is my own SWOT analysis of my role on the team of Indigo Dream

Strengths:           VHF operating procedures

Weakness:          Cooking
Opportunities:    Spooking out the Opposition (eg Curlitude)

Threats:               Others having misplaced confidence in my abilities.

I find that very reassuring, ie we have nothing to fear except .....