The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Serious question to the organisers:

Can each team please be given some number of points that they can award to any team except themselves?

I have been reading everybody else's cruise logs, and I keep wanting to allocate real challenge points not just forum greenies for some of the entries.

A good idea, provided it can be done without damaging the integrity of the competition....

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Can each team please be given some number of points that they can award to any team except themselves?

I have been reading everybody else's cruise logs, and I keep wanting to allocate real challenge points not just forum greenies for some of the entries.

Don't force us to read some of that drivel.

3 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

A good idea, provided it can be done without damaging the integrity of the competition....

Ok, if you think there may be skullduggery that way,  maybe let us nominate specific blog posts for the judges to consider for extra bonus points. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes, I do like that idea and I had thought perhaps we could have a side competition for "Participants Choice" or something along those lines.

I will see what @Capt Ahab and @Postcode think about it - although @Postcode will now be staring at his tablet wondering what he just got a notfication for and whether he can get his social secretary to deal with it for hin ;)

ANNOUNCEMENT!

The Judging Panel have spoken after reading the cruise logs you compiled yesterday. As usual the teams that have been awarded the top 3 places will remain a secret for the time being but it probably doesn't need to be said that there are around 2/3rds of the field that are consistently catching the judges attention with their compilations and you lot are making it so hard for them to pick between you so just keep up the great work.

The teams that get a mention in dispatches (and gain the odd bonus point by doing so:

·      

The Workers for the Wolverhampton Canal Sign – good old BW  

·       Pugnipeek – for the Bottle & Glass and William Perry story (Not only was it a great story but I’ve been in that pub in both locations!) 

·       Firefly – Loved the weedhatch video &  meeting themselves coming the other way 

·       Indigo Dream –  for Curlitude, the ghost story (again) and  for duck castle – we want one!

·       Firefly for the detail of being unpopular for holding up the work boats

·       The Workers for their description of their route and all the historic details. 

·       Styxl for  cleaning up someone else’s weed hatch rubbish.

·       (Note: I noticed that when they cleaned the burrs of the horse, it went from brown to white. Did they use bleach? Is this a case of animal cruelty?) 

·       Urban Moorings – Excellent blade picture

·       In the spirit of promoting the BCN, I think Whisky Galore’s blog is up amongst the best of the entries

And finally - On Tuesday “Trackman” refers to the penny pinching railway engineer using bullhead rail in the early 70s. I worked for BR at the time and know exactly who they mean. I wonder if I know Trackman? We may have to facilitate an introduction when our panel no longer need to be anonymous!

Edited by cheshire~rose

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Ooooh good, we can give Team Biscuits a lora points.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Ooooh good, we can give Team Biscuits a lora points.

Yeah, we'll just with the nominate posts for extra consideration then.

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

ANNOUNCEMENT!

The Judging Panel have spoken after reading the cruise logs you compiled yesterday. As usual the teams that have been awarded the top 3 places will remain a secret for the time being but it probably doesn't need to be said that there are around 2/3rds of the field that are consistently catching the judges attention with their compilations and you lot are making it so hard for them to pick between you so just keep up the great work.

The teams that get a mention in dispatches (and gain the odd bonus point by doing so:

·      

I am now trying to guess who is judging this, who would know I was referring to Stan when I mentioned BH rails! To quote the very man, "but why?". I won't mention the gentleman's full name, but I think we both know who it was.

• Haha 1

Announcement:

Good morning Challengers! Today is a day of very great celebration across our land and I am aware that you are all waiting to hear today's broadcast from our leader so without further ado I will hand you over to our Field HQ in Aldridge Buckingham Palace

Indeed - there are going to be great celebrations across the land today and we sincerely hope that many of you will be dialing 1945 into your Automat Sensucht so you can partake in some celebrations around the fantastic city that you are exploring.

I think this is the broadcast you are all waiting for though:

It does trouble me slightly that it would appear that @Capt Ahab is trying to suppress a smile towards the end of the video clip! ?

Have fun everyone - Teams - you have email!

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

Announcement:

Good morning Challengers! Today is a day of very great celebration across our land and I am aware that you are all waiting to hear today's broadcast from our leader so without further ado I will hand you over to our Field HQ in Aldridge Buckingham Palace

Indeed - there are going to be great celebrations across the land today and we sincerely hope that many of you will be dialing 1945 into your Automat Sensucht so you can partake in some celebrations around the fantastic city that you are exploring.

I think this is the broadcast you are all waiting for though:

It does trouble me slightly that it would appear that @Capt Ahab is trying to suppress a smile towards the end of the video clip! ?

Have fun everyone - Teams - you have email!

Hadn't realised he was suppressing that smile. I'd describe his tone as somewhat gleeful. 

Still. I am eager to tune in each day. 

5 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Have fun everyone

Well that threw a spanner in the works!

As we're not going to be able to use this in our diary any more, here's a video from Rebellion coming up the locks to finish the 2017 challenge for you all to enjoy while you ponder ways to avoid as many locks as possible today.

On 19/04/2020 at 19:37, cheshire~rose said:

snip<Each Participating crew must ensure that they end their Virtual BCN Challenge at Bradley Workshops no later than 6pm on Saturday 9th May 2020. Failure to arrive at the destination by the deadline will result in a points deduction equivalent to the time taken to reach the official destination from the point their virtual cruise came to an end. Final score sheet must be received by the organisers NO LATER THAN 6:30pm on Saturday 9th May 2020.>snip

A reminder folks that tomorrow is the last day of the challenge (I hear cheers from across Birmingham!)

Please remember that tomorrow we need your quiz entry, your challenge entry and you score cards in much earlier at 6.30pm which gives you just 30 minutes after you have vitually tied your virtual lines at Bradley Workshops no later than 6pm. It will be interesting to see which of you have positioned yourselves for an early arrival there when we see where you tie up tonight.

I also want to say , I know a lot of you are seriously worn out now BUT - the comments from the panel have started to arrive and I can tell you there are some teams whose scores are VERY close and your position on the podium could be won or lost by those bonus points so just put every last ounce of enthusiasm you can muster into those cruise logs everyone.

They are a joy to read!

19 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

ANNOUNCEMENT!

(Note: I noticed that when they cleaned the burrs of the horse, it went from brown to white. Did they use bleach? Is this a case of animal cruelty?) 

Did you not read the bit about getting another horse from the stables at the top of Ryders Green! so that ours could be properly groomed. post #64

19 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

·      

4 minutes ago, Ian Mac said:

Did you not read the bit about getting another horse from the stables at the top of Ryders Green! so that ours could be properly groomed. post #64

I was just quoting the judging panel

I will tell them to be more observant in future

Good morning Challengers

I hope you are all tucking into a heart breakfast in readniness for your final push to get to the end and earn as many points as possible along the route/

Here is today's bulletin on the condition of the BCN:

·    

·

I Having watched that we realised that one of our teams must have used their crystal ball at the start of the competition and has managed to completely bypass the problem today!  Well done @Ian Mac. It just goes to show that maybe having an 'oss is the best :) I hope this problem is not on the route of too many of ours teams today