The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Good morning all you wonderful Virtual Challengers, I hope you do not have too much of a virtual hangover after all those toasts last night?

The day has finally arrived when you can slacken your virtual lines and start your virtual travels.

May The Fourth Be With you!

We have had an unexpected withdrawal after Team Red Wharf failed to get their cruise diary started in time but the concern that we might have an unlucky 13 teams taking part  has been saved by a last minute substitution when Team Anado Solo stepped in.  (making some virtual excuse about time being virtual when you are single handing from New Zealand) Welcome to the fun!

Right, I have my morning coffee, I better go and see if that Cap Ahab is still in his PJ's or whether he is ready to provide his morning report on the condition of the canals

Just to bring the links to all 14 cruise logs together in one place for anyone who might be reading:

• Greenie 1

You do not have to be part of any of the teams virtually  navigating the BCN to take part in the challenge. If anyone reading wants to join in and share photos of themselves dressed for the weather please feel free

Today's challenge:

·        You have woken up this morning to find there has been a heavy frost overnight. There is an icy wind coming from the north and the sky looks as though it is full of snow. You have no choice, you have stepped up to complete this BCN challenge and you know you have a solid 7 hours of cruising ahead of you in this bitter cold.  The only thing you can do is to dress appropriately. Wrap up warm with as many layers as you can. Hat, scarf, gloves and warm boots. Strap your hot water bottle on under your coat and start the engine…. But before you do please take a photo of you and or your team dressed for the weather and share it with us on your BCN Blog Thread. Take care out there today, we don’t want to cause any of you chilblains!

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

Video appears to have been hijacked?

I am not too sure why you can't see it?

The settings are public and Rob-M has obviously watched it. I need to try and get to the root of this so it doesn't cause problems through the week. Do you use Facebook Roland?

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

The settings are public and Rob-M has obviously watched it. I need to try and get to the root of this so it doesn't cause problems through the week. Do you use Facebook Roland?

I can see it - but if there are problems I can post them via my YouTube account and run links to that.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I watched it, I am signed in to Facebook in my browser.

Just now, Rob-M said:

I watched it, I am signed in to Facebook in my browser.

It might be that people who do not have a FB account can't view it. Although I have not come across that before . The fact it can be seen but returns to the start for Roland makes me suspect it is something else.

We could do with a few more people trying it, especillay if they don't "do" FB

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

Ok just checked embedded video on the historic page ,worked fine.

looks like issue is on this thread..

With this thread or this video?

Was the video you watched linked from Facebook?  Do you have a FB account?

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

With this thread or this video?

Was the video you watched linked from Facebook?  Do you have a FB account?

I've watched it successfully on another Android device where I don't have a Facebook page open.

It must be the Fourth which is driving me on. The halo around my head is not the sun, not a nuclear fireball: It can only be the the Fourth. It was a bit brisk at Bromford Junction this morning.

Halo.jpg

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

When I click on it flashes and returns to start. I am using an iPad, with a reasonable broadband connection. No problem streaming other stuff.

Sorry no don’t use Facebook 

Works fine on my I pad

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

With all these clever people entering the challenge, could we have maps updated, just like the Volvo Ocean racing?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=14DTZ6L-V-Dc2k2KlIsBdrtdTW5R36awN&ll=52.67985346941044%2C-1.7972357670905694&z=15

Certainly, our very clever computer whizz @RebelMike has fitted us with a GPS so you can track our progress :)

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

With all these clever people entering the challenge, could we have maps updated, just like the Volvo Ocean racing?

Indigo Dream has an AIS system on board, but I suspect it is not switched on at the moment. A cheaper (but rather neat) alternative is the RYA's Safetrx app, which if set correctly would enable all to see where everyone else is. Maybe this could be used for test, track and trace as well?

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/safe-boating/keep-in-touch/Pages/safetrx.aspx

Edited by Scholar Gypsy