The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Indigo Dreamers said:

I haven't caught up with the whole thread, but consistency is the key - as long as the rules are clear and applied fairly then it doesn't matter which option you choose. Given that we're all travelling at the same pace, this is a far more strategic/cerebral challenge than the real thing!

I think of the cruising dimension as more of a strategic board game, with an almost infinite number of options available. Sort of snakes and ladders played in four dimensions......

2 minutes ago, Capt Ahab said:

I think of the cruising dimension as more of a strategic board game, with an almost infinite number of options available. Sort of snakes and ladders played in four dimensions......

Eek renal brain can't comprehend that, just 2 dimensions is enough 

6 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I reckon he’s secretly using his own scoresheet. ?

It's probably a virtual one 

I have sorted the error - it appears I was dropping my haiches 

Just to let folks know we will move to version 7 immediately as there was a typo of 5 miles rather than .5 on one section 

Just for clarification, I am me, myself and Benji on Team Peak on virtual Gracie, as I am shielding, & doing the 65k Virtual Challenge for Kidney Care UK at the same time. I reckon I can walk 2100 steps a day around my garden 

https://www.kidneycareuk.org/get-involved/challenge-events/kidney-care-uk-63-virtual-challenge/

IMG_20200428_164046.jpg

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

It's probably a virtual one 

I have sorted the error - it appears I was dropping my haiches 

Just to let folks know we will move to version 7 immediately as there was a typo of 5 miles rather than .5 on one section 

Couple of errors I've spotted:

Ogley Junction to Anglesey Basin and return should be 3 miles not 6

Tipton Green to Factory is 2 furlongs so should be 0.5 miles not 1

Also, assuming the intention is now that only sections that have been completely navigated score points, it would be nice to explicitly state that in the rules at the top of the sheet.

Doing a full pass through the detail now, spotted one more error:

Anson Jn to Walsall Jn should be 1.5 or 2 miles not 0.5 (it's 1 mile 6 furlongs in Bradshaws)

Some notes:

Ideally, Factory Jn to Deepfields Jn on the new main line should be split at Bloomfield Jn.

Tame Valley to Pudding Green is still present, as well as its subsections.  Does this mean that section now scores both ways (providing it is completely completed in one direction)?

The old main line from Brades Hall to Factory now scores both ways - you added lots of entries for this so I'm sure that's intentional.

Thank you for adding Two Locks Line :)

Teams: You have email (yes even you @john6767 - honest!)

Following on from the amendments pointed out by Rebel Mike we have done a final tweak of the spreadsheet and the updated version has been sent out.

<We really were not anticipating how much work and effort needed to go into this and we are fed up of all the nit picking pedants on here. We can't be ar*ed to mess about any further so you whingeing buggers will have to put up and shut up> ?? but we love you all really so let's put a different spin on this:

We very much appreciate all your input to help us ensure we have something as close as possible to being correct. This has, after all, been quite hastily planned! ❤️

We do not believe it is fair to continue tweaking the spreadsheet any further than we already have as it could be playing havoc with your plans and so if there are any errors now put it down to the fact that as the entire challenge is virtual perhaps it is not an error but just an interpretation of how the canal might have been if things had been different :)

Of course if you do become aware of errors we would like to know about them because if this challenge is successful there is always the possibility of a re-run at another time and if we are aware of any problems with this final file we can put them right before the virtual challenge taking place in 1870 ?️
  • Greenie 3

Thank you for your efforts putting this together - adding 60 miles of canal to the route planning spreadsheet and coming up with adapted rules for virtual cruising was always going to be a significant piece of work!

It looks like we'll only need to make minor tweaks to our route based on the latest revisions, I hope it's the same for other teams.  Now we just have a long list of photographs to source ?

49 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

before the virtual challenge taking place in 1870 ?️

Ooo, so next time we get to have arguments over whether particular canals were navigable or not in 1870, I look forward to it ;)

Just to let those who are puzzling over how the section  Factory Junction to Tipton Green Junction can be half a mile going one way and a mile going the other: we had thought it might be due to the large amount of outflow from The Owen Street Sewage Works causing a strong flow but further investigation reveals it is due to the prevailing wind direction 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

Just to let those who are puzzling over how the section  Factory Junction to Tipton Green Junction can be half a mile going one way and a mile going the other: we had thought it might be due to the large amount of outflow from The Owen Street Sewage Works causing a strong flow but further investigation reveals it is due to the prevailing wind direction

So not the "Black Country Tide" then?

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

It depends on whether you are on the inside or the outside of the bend along the Tipton Wall. It never seems to end.

• Haha 1

A reminder of the important timings for the challenge:

• Registration is now open
  • Registration closes at Midday BST on Saturday 3rd May
  • Cruise Logs must have been created no later than Midday BST on Sunday 2nd May
  • Your virtual starting point must have been communicated to the organisers no later than midday BST on Sunday 2nd May
  • Important information regarding the current state of the Birmingham canals, a daily quiz and a daily challenge will be communicated to all teams no later than 8.30am BST on Monday 3rd of May and each morning after that up to and including Saturday 9th May.
  • No later than 10pm BST each day of the virtual challenge (except for Saturday which has a deadline of 6pm) your team spokesperson will post an update to their cruise log describing their days cruising and share a photo of where they are moored that night.
  • No later than 10pm BST each day of the virtual challenge (except for Saturday which has a deadline of 6pm) your team spokesperson will post a photo of their attempt at the daily challenge
  • No later than 10pm BST each day of the virtual challenge (except for Saturday which has a deadline of 6pm) your team will email or PM the answers to your daily quiz (THESE MUST NOT BE POSTED ONLINE)
  • No later than 10pm BST each day of the virtual challenge (except for Saturday which has a deadline of 6pm) your team will email an updated copy of your score sheet to the organisers to checking.
  • Each Participating crew must ensure that they end their Virtual BCN Challenge at Bradley Workshops no later than 6pm on Saturday 9th May 2020.
  • Final score sheet must be received by the organisers NO LATER THAN 6:30pm on Saturday 9th May 2020.

Any questions please ask

Edited by cheshire~rose
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

A reminder of the important timings for the challenge:

• Registration is now open
  • Registration closes at Midday BST on Saturday 2nd May
  • Cruise Logs must have been created no later than Midday BST on Sunday 2nd May
  • Your virtual starting point must have been communicated to the organisers no later than midday BST on Sunday 2nd May
  • Important information regarding the current state of the Birmingham canals, a daily quiz and a daily challenge will be communicated to all teams no later than 8.30am BST on Monday 3rd of May and each morning after that up to and including Saturday 9th May.
  • No later than 10pm BST each day of the virtual challenge (except for Saturday which has a deadline of 6pm) your team spokesperson will post an update to their cruise log describing their days cruising and share a photo of where they are moored that night.
  • No later than 10pm BST each day of the virtual challenge (except for Saturday which has a deadline of 6pm) your team spokesperson will post a photo of their attempt at the daily challenge
  • No later than 10pm BST each day of the virtual challenge (except for Saturday which has a deadline of 6pm) your team will email or PM the answers to your daily quiz (THESE MUST NOT BE POSTED ONLINE)
  • No later than 10pm BST each day of the virtual challenge (except for Saturday which has a deadline of 6pm) your team will email an updated copy of your score sheet to the organisers to checking.
  • Each Participating crew must ensure that they end their Virtual BCN Challenge at Bradley Workshops no later than 6pm on Saturday 9th May 2020.
  • Final score sheet must be received by the organisers NO LATER THAN 6:30pm on Saturday 9th May 2020.

Any questions please ask

You appear to have two 2nd May, is this something to do with the time machine.

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Any updates to the participants?

Good Times are in, and we are looking forward to looking at @RebelMike, @Tom and Bex@john6767  and @Amber34 scores a week on Sunday ...

(that's Rebellion, Tatty Lucy, Firefly and Maxwell)

Welcome to the madness.

It will be interesting to see whether you can keep last years standard up!

I suggest the following clarification:

3 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:
  • Registration closes at Midday BST on Saturday 3rd May 2014
  • Cruise Logs must have been created no later than Midday BST on Sunday 2nd May 2010
  • Your virtual starting point must have been communicated to the organisers no later than midday BST on Sunday 2nd May 1920
  • Important information regarding the current state of the Birmingham canals, a daily quiz and a daily challenge will be communicated to all teams no later than 8.30am BST on Monday 3rd of May 1875

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Good Times are in

Ah, the competition is hotting up now!  We've promised the Inland Alligators that we'll secure a second victory for nb William this year, so if you wouldn't mind taking it a little bit more leisurely through the lock flights that would be much appreciated ?

• Haha 1