The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

This has to be one for @Capt Ahab to answer. 

The score sheet will have a list of the scoring for every stretch of canal it is possible to score points for doing 

Well, I have tried to be true to the BCN as it used to be so if we are looking at the northern edges, that will include Ogley Locks (AKA The Lichfield) to Huddlesford Junction, all the the Cannock Extension to Hednesford plus the Churchbridge Flight down to Watling Street (A5) where it joins to the non BCN Churchbridge Branch (AKA Hatherton) but not the Churchbridge Branch beyond.

Not wanting to deny you scope to explore some of these odd corners the neighbouring canals have agreed toll free travel to the other routes back into the BCN, but there no points to be earned on these foreign waters.

The same will apply to the Dudley No2 (AKA Lapal) between Hawne Basin and Selly Oak. Points stop at the junction with the Worcester Birmingham.

57 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

My copy of Another 60 Miles says it is BCN as far as Hednesford Basins to the North and Churchbridge Junction to the west.  It states "Although the Staffs and Worcs Canal Co contributed towards the costs of building the branch it was still part of the BCN".

If you want to be picky, you could say these parts are the Cannock Extension and the Churchbridge Branch, but they are part of what we now call the Hatherton Canal.

TOSM is where I got that the Hatherton was not part of the BCN from, it marks it as a neighbour water way from I think the bottom of the main lock flight.  Anyway it is a good question as to what is actually counted

This has to be one for @Capt Ahab to answer. 

The score sheet will have a list of the scoring for every stretch of canal it is possible to score points for doing 

Are we going to get any additional info before the start, ie do we have to declare our start location with no knowledge of how the scoring works?

13 minutes ago, Capt Ahab said:

Well, I have tried to be true to the BCN as it used to be so if we are looking at the northern edges, that will include Ogley Locks (AKA The Lichfield) to Huddlesford Junction, all the the Cannock Extension to Hednesford plus the Churchbridge Flight down to Watling Street (A5) where it joins to the non BCN Churchbridge Branch (AKA Hatherton) but not the Churchbridge Branch beyond.

Not wanting to deny you scope to explore some of these odd corners the neighbouring canals have agreed toll free travel to the other routes back into the BCN, but there no points to be earned on these foreign waters.

The same will apply to the Dudley No2 (AKA Lapal) between Hawne Basin and Selly Oak. Points stop at the junction with the Worcester Birmingham.

I did not realise Hawne Basin to Selly Oak was not BCN, dam it I fancied a trip through the tunnel.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

TOSM is where I got that the Hatherton was not part of the BCN from, it marks it as a neighbour water way from I think the bottom of the main lock flight.  Anyway it is a good question as to what is actually counted

Are we going to get any additional info before the start, ie do we have to declare our start location with no knowledge of how the scoring works?

The real BCN Challenge scoring sheet is only opened immediately prior to starting the challenge. We are asking people to declare their start point prior to us releasing the score sheet to replicate the jeopardy of the real challenge 

I did not realise Hawne Basin to Selly Oak was not BCN, dam it I fancied a trip through the tunnel.

You could have shared some great pictures from there too

60T90-Black.jpg

The real BCN Challenge scoring sheet is only opened immediately prior to starting the challenge. We are asking people to declare their start point prior to us releasing the score sheet to replicate the jeopardy of the real challenge 

The basic score sheet is sent out as folks enter so they can plan routes. It’s only the bonus questions and some additional photo opportunities that are withheld until the start of the Challenge.

Will we get any info on entering?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

The planning sheet is sent out a few months before, for example we had the 2020 sheet for some months now.  What is opened on the day (electronically now) is the log sheet, which includes the treasure hunt questions.  So well before the challenge you have the details of how different sections are scored, where photo opportunities are etc, you would not be able to make a plan without that information.

9 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

As I read it, we can through through the Lappal tunnel and then have a toll free passage back to Worcester Bar..

Yes but you have wasted time on a non scoring section, who wants to do that!  You also don’t know at this point if the section is two way or now, so you would be able to back track and score point both ways.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, john6767 said:

Nooo - the stretch to Selly Oak IS BCN!

The planning sheet is sent out a few months before, for example we had the 2020 sheet for some months now.  What is opened on the day (electronically now) is the log sheet, which includes the treasure hunt questions.  So well before the challenge you have the details of how different sections are scored, where photo opportunities are etc, you would not be able to make a plan without that information.

Yes but you have wasted time on a non scoring section, who wants to do that!  You also don’t know at this point if the section is two way or now, so you would be able to back track and score point both ways.

It's a very short non-scoring section, got to be worth it for the chance to travel Dudley #2

Edited by Keeping Up

I shall be following this challenge with interest and hope the rules abs scoring will be in public domain. 

Unfortunately won't be entering. 1st BCN challenge we'll have missed in 8 years? Working that week and with volume of calls increasing, won't have time required to participate. 

Great idea though and good luck to all the teams. 

3 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

It's a very short non-scoring section, got to be worth it for the chance to travel Dudley #2

Well I was actually thinking of starting from Selly Oak, so would not have needed to do the W&B part ?

12 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

I shall be following this challenge with interest and hope the rules abs scoring will be in public domain. 

Unfortunately won't be entering. 1st BCN challenge we'll have missed in 8 years? Working that week and with volume of calls increasing, won't have time required to participate. 

Great idea though and good luck to all the teams. 

Just to let everyone know Either myself or Capt Ahab will be back later on today to post an update with regards to the scoring. We are still bringing together a few final details before publishing more.

Obviously there will need to be communication between the organisers and the teams that is not in the public domain immediately (E.G. - if one team posts the anwers to the daily quiz then it means all the teams will get to see it!)

Our plan is that even those not actively involved in the full challenge will be able to see the quizzes and daily challenges and take part in them if they wish as well as seeing the "Wildcard" jeopardy that we have planned and by reading the daily updates on each team's cruising log you will see how it may have affected them and what contingency plans they have to deal with such problems. It is our hope that this little bit of silliness will bring an element of distraction from their current circumstances to a lot of people and we are heavily relying on those taking part to provide a big part of that as they use their imagination and skills as a team to notch up the points towards a potential winning score.

Edited by cheshire~rose
  • Greenie 1

Announcement!

The organisers of The Virtual BCN Challenge have been in negotiation with the proprietors of The Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal Navigation. (Via Zoom) 

They have agreed to allow navigation of The Hatherton Branch for the duration of the challenge for a virtual peppercorn rent. 

c6b497d718358b2c713283c03c143eba9efca0f3_1200x800.jpg.7ab5299a34e698249927ab941f2f6270.jpg

The organisers of The Virtual BCN Challenge will be releasing (via email) the planning and scoring sheet for the challenge this afternoon. This will be sent to all teams who have formally registered with us and provided a working contact email address.

You now only have a week to register your entry with us and so I would encourage those of you wishing to take part to  contact me by private message with details of your team and an email address where you can receive the planning and scoring sheet. 

• Greenie 1

Update on current entries:

The Workers

Team (name yet to be decided) 

Indigo Dreamers 

Team Red Warf

Team Firefly 

Team Keeping Up

All the above teams should have received a test email from me, if you don't see it please let me know. 

Final tweaks to the planning spreadsheet are taking place with a view to sending it out this afternoon. 

If you wish to join in then please register your team by sending me a private message with details of your team including the name you want your team to be referred to as and a working email address.

Thanks 

On 20/04/2020 at 13:46, RebelMike said:

Hooray!  This news has brightened up our day on nb Rebellion, being stuck in the same place for over a month now is very strange for us - we should have been well on our way to Birmingham for the challenge by now!

I'm hoping that all our regular crew will be up for it, but I'll make a post confirming user names etc. nearer the time.  Am I right that this will take part in the "Cruising Diaries" subforum here, or will there be a special BCN Cruising Logs forum?

Mike

Not had a formal entry from you yet Mike and I will be sending the planning sheet out this afternoon so get in touch with an email address I can use please - You will need to make a few more posts before the private message system will allow you to use it 

On 22/04/2020 at 02:22, smudgepuss said:

Minion reporting for duty!:boat:

Welcome to the forum

New forum members have to have made several posts before they can use the private message system and I need a formal entry with an email address sent that way so perhaps you can make a few random posts to get your count up? 

On 19/04/2020 at 20:24, Odana said:

A Hockley Port Team is being assembled .... We may go for two,just for some internal competition

I am hoping to send out the planning sheet this afternoon so when you get a moment don't forget to ensure your team(s) send details via PM 

On 20/04/2020 at 07:21, StarUKKiwi said:

?I'm in, a small team called 

"State of Gracie" 

Don't forget to message me with an email address to confirm your entry - planning sheets going out this afternoon

On 19/04/2020 at 20:40, harrybsmith said:

At least 2, I've already got my crew assembled.  See you at the finish!

You might have your crew assembled but I have not had an entry from you yet and so you won't get your planning sheet until I get an mail address via PM 

On 17/04/2020 at 19:42, Kiwidad said:

I’m in

Not yet you are not - not had a formal entry from you - sending out the planning sheets this afternoon 

On 18/04/2020 at 06:54, Ange said:

Gosh. Our beloved NB Iona was sold with heavy hearts. We now have the opportunity to virtually own her and cruise on her again!

Bring it on!

ETA we'll have a virtual Millie dog on board and Unkle Richard can give her chips at the end ?

Don't forget to get your formal entry to us by PM - I need a confirmed email address to send out your planning sheet 

On 18/04/2020 at 09:00, Dr Bob said:

Well we tried to come last, last year, but we weren't allowed to. 

Maybe this year?

Are you still only a maybe? 

Not had an entry from you 

2 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Not had a formal entry from you yet Mike and I will be sending the planning sheet out this afternoon so get in touch with an email address I can use please - You will need to make a few more posts before the private message system will allow you to use it 

Great, we were planning to have a planning meeting this evening so would be handy to have the planning sheet, I'll try and get a PM to you!