The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I see an immediate problem,  to be true to the spirit of my BCN I need to drink at least half a bottle of malt and have about 3hrs kip, I am not sure work will approve 

No, although this may be a problem it is certainly not an immediate problem because we do not start the challenge yet.

With the current difficulties in getting supplies in the shops you may need to opt for a powdered version of the malt to drink:

snapshotimagehandler_113029521.jpeg?h=54

If work persist in making this a problem for you then perhaps you need to ask them to use a little more imagination when you ask them for time off on account of your dreadful morning sickness?

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

No, although this may be a problem it is certainly not an immediate problem because we do not start the challenge yet.

With the current difficulties in getting supplies in the shops you may need to opt for a powdered version of the malt to drink:

snapshotimagehandler_113029521.jpeg?h=54

If work persist in making this a problem for you then perhaps you need to ask them to use a little more imagination when you ask them for time off on account of your dreadful morning sickness?

Err hungover, not pregnant 

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The problem here is that you are making this sound like a FUN thing.

The BCN Challenge, if done properly, shouldn't be fun!CIMG4093.JPG

Alan, how long have you known me?

How many times have you been deceived in the past when I have suggested you might want to part with cash for some irresistable item?

Make no mistake - while there is likely to be an element of fun there are some devious people at work in the creativity department ?

Just now, tree monkey said:

Err hungover, not pregnant 

If you can get hungover on that malted drink then you have the requisite imagination to make a fine team member!

Somebody sign him up quick!

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

How many times have you been deceived in the past when I have suggested you might want to part with cash for some irresistable item?

I admit that might just have happened once or twice in the distant past.

But I'm much wiser than that now, and it ain't going to happen again!

(Possibly ?!? ?)

Hmm our previous crew member Matt  is going to be a little busy with this young man. Dave will be busy in his Hiab delivering for B & Q, I fear I may be single handed ?

IMG-20200414-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 2

53 minutes ago, Ange said:

Hmm our previous crew member Matt  is going to be a little busy with this young man. Dave will be busy in his Hiab delivering for B & Q, I fear I may be single handed ?

IMG-20200414-WA0000.jpg

Well frankly Ange I am a little surprised that such an independent and resourceful woman as you can accept such feeble excuses from Matt! 

Fear not, I can lend you a tiny windass for Eli so he can pull his weight and help out. Start 'em young I say! 

20200418_104559.jpg

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

You can see the name of the lock, on the beam above the top (guillotine) gate.

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Indeed and your internet presence from last year indicated that you were  setting off on your Easter cruise

Edited by Mike Todd
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

Sounds interesting!

Looking forward to more details - not sure I can muster a crew though, but always wanted to do the challenge single handed...

There is no reason why you can't singlehand for the challenge. 

I suspect the biggest potential problem you might have is not having anyone to disagree with :) 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

There is no reason why you can't singlehand for the challenge. 

I suspect the biggest potential problem you might have is not having anyone to disagree with :) 

Ah, that's one problem I won't suffer from then!

Can I suggest that as its a virtual challenge that the lost 60 miles be included in the cruise? We could have bonus points for cruising the waterless aquaduct over the M6 toll road or going up or down Bradley locks. It would make for some interesting route planning.

Andy Tidy - Captain Ahab- has a good series of YouTube videos on the lost miles. This is one example

49 minutes ago, pearley said:

Nothing to do with Newark. It's Stamp End Lock in Lincoln. Been through it a few times, not the easiest of locks.

Yes I know that, but Newark was the nearest destination from Boston via Stamp End that I could think of which began with the letter N.

Edited to add, I did think of referring to the "Boston Canals Network" but then didn't because I just knew that if I did there would soon be somebody correcting me to say it wasn't in Boston but in Lincoln.

Edited by Keeping Up
  • Greenie 1