Good time to buy to buy a basic narrow boat - yes or no?

Jacsprat

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When Gratefulness Slaps You Right Upside Your Head | SoftStone, Inc.

or maybe :

Frightened - English Flashcard for Frightened for IELTS – LELB Society

No, no - we must treasure our past...

look how much love, attention, and £££s are spent on preserving the past. As an object they may / are subject to riddicule. They are difficult to work into today's needs with their chined hulls and the oiltank / gasholder steel presents some challenges, however, it would be a shame if they all disappeared from the canals - as would timber working boats.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Haha!! Just tried that. She says she has to go through the broker - contract and all that. 

Maybe time to reveal that the boat I'm after is a very tidy little 'atypical' Springer. I know, I know - it's a SPRINGER, but I believe it's been well'maintained and well-loved and will get me on the water safely. Good low-budget starter. It'll be a leap of faith if I go through with it (IF it will be possible to go through with it!), but it's not a huge spend. Worth the jump I think!

If the broker cant/wont sell it how can he hold the seller to a contract he can't/wont fulfil 

• Greenie 3

45 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Maybe time to reveal that the boat I'm after is a very tidy little 'atypical' Springer. 

If it HAS been well maintained, a good choice of boat - robust, characterful and with excellent use of space.

What is "atypical" about it? Is it advertised on ApolloDuck?

Edited by Athy

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

If it HAS been well maintained, a good choice of boat - robust, characterful and with excellent use of space.

What is "atypical" about it? Is it advertised on ApolloDuck?

Hello Athy - I've sent you a PM... Are you really in Norfolk? Me too at the moment - Stiffkey. One of my favourite places in the world (I'm a Canadian expat).

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If the broker cant/wont sell it how can he hold the seller to a contract he can't/wont fulfil 

Yes indeed! But if she can't access the paperwork or keys because the marina is in lockdown, then it's a problem. It's OK - I've got about 7 weeks to complete a process. I imagine restrictions on certain businesses like this will be relaxed shortly - but who really knows?

3 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Hello Athy - I've sent you a PM... Are you really in Norfolk? Me too at the moment - Stiffkey. One of my favourite places in the world (I'm a Canadian expat).

Yes I am. "Stewkey" eh? Have you met the rector? I am just replying to your message by P.M., bear with me.

Edited by Athy

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Bet its damp and chilly up there today with this north easterly coming in

It is quite a bone-chilling day! Can't complain really - amazing, gorgeous weather over the last couple of weeks and no tourists. Kind of a strange paradise. Very, very lucky to be here during lock down. And very grateful not to still be on my massive bicycle tour (which ended a few months ago). Could easily be stranded in some far away country at the moment with just a 2 person tent and my little dog to keep me company. 

On 17/04/2020 at 20:41, Alan de Enfield said:

Nope - owners of old 'historical' narrowboats were millionaires when they bought them, now they play instruments on street-corners to raise money to buy the next deck plank.

How to become a millionaire - start off as a billionaire and buy a narrowboat...

• Love 2
  • Happy 1

Just now, mark99 said:

Hey Springers are like the Morris Minors of the waterways. Intrinsically not of great value but characterful.

I always smile when I see a Springer.

Lol! A bit like me then! Perfect. Well, it's a wait and see game at the moment. No communication from the broker. There may or may not be a Springer in my future...

46 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Lol! A bit like me then! Perfect. Well, it's a wait and see game at the moment. No communication from the broker. There may or may not be a Springer in my future...

Check to see if any overplating. As quite thin wrt original hull thickness, please get a hull survey esp with any overplating. Best of luck.

Edited by mark99

3 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Check to see if any overplating. As quite thin wrt original hull thickness, please get a hull survey esp with any overplating. Best of luck.

Well, I KNOW its had some recent overplating along with a hull survey just before the boat went into brokerage. Definitely a risky purchase, but I've got a very good feeling generally. Will get a full independent survey once we get past this 'hump'. Would love a more robust brand, but but but! Thanks! 

On 19/04/2020 at 20:21, Alan de Enfield said:

Its fine until "the wheel falls off" (which happened to many of them)

morris minor.png

I saw many of them looking sad like that, always on a roundabout.  Lack of grease on the King Pin if I recall correctly.

They didn't have king pins as such.  Torsion bar suspension. It was the top swivel joint that pulled out of the stub axle arm. The top swivel joint socket screwed onto the thread on the top of the vertical stub axle bit. Poor seals in those days, unless kept well greased to chase rain water out, the threads rusted away quickly and hey presto, go over a bump and they'd pull apart.

On 17/04/2020 at 18:41, alan_fincher said:

I rather fear you have quite a few more months to wait before any responsible person is likely to be prepared to sell you a boat. 

Some 50% of people are of below average responsibility

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Some 50% of people are of below average responsibility

Lets say out of a population of 12 people, 10 of them are 100% responsible and 2 of them are 25% responsible,.

The average is 87.5% so 10 people are above average and only 2  (16.666r%) are below average.

Try it with some different numbers, it works both ways, the number of people is irrelevant, and rarely will it be 50% of the population.

1000 people are 85% responsible, 2000 people are 50% responsible, the average is 61.666r so 1000 are above average and 2000 (66.666r%) are below average.