Good time to buy to buy a basic narrow boat - yes or no?

Jacsprat

Featured Posts

I get the impression that narrowboats require more ongoing maintenance than anyone would imagine, bargains are available, see Sort of Interesting on youtube, he got Abel's Ark with a new engine at a good price, I pointed him in that direction because I was looking at boats at that time, but was not able to buy.

My gut feeling is that you may lose freedom if you buy a boat and keep it in a marina. Plus you can't really leave a dog inside a boat in hot weather.

36 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think all moorings run by CRT are locked only as much as cc s can stay in one place for as long as lockdown continues, water and Elsan remain open, so it could be easier to cc, in that it is c mooring except for facilities. There is very little movement here, but there is some. There are three mooring types where I am, difficulty is you can't view them, and you don't have a boat.

Things may be very different in other places. 

Yes - even though I'm not an experienced boater, this is how I've imagined things being on the network at the moment. I'd be quite happy indeed to stay on the boat as a CCer for now and not move far. I have a lot to learn and study - a terrible situation, but a good opportunity to ease into boat life!

32 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Buying a boat without a survey is not necessarily the disaster people would have you believe. I think you will just have to buy privately rather than from a broker.

What general area are you looking in?

I'm fairly wide open as to where I can purchase. I'd probably end up cruising around the middle of England somewhere as that's where the bulk of my work may end up. Presently eyeing up a couple of small boats near Nottingham, but they are in brokerages dammit! I'd put in a lower offer on one and buy it without viewing or survey in person if I could - I kind of know this particular boat and its history already. I'd take the risk.

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Removed a few words for improved accuracy.

Private, insider joke I take it??? Lol!

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I get the impression that narrowboats require more ongoing maintenance than anyone would imagine, bargains are available, see Sort of Interesting on youtube, he got Abel's Ark with a new engine at a good price, I pointed him in that direction because I was looking at boats at that time, but was not able to buy.

My gut feeling is that you may lose freedom if you buy a boat and keep it in a marina. Plus you can't really leave a dog inside a boat in hot weather.

Yes - really enjoyed some of his videos. Sweet guy! Yes, the marina is not ideal, but it's only a stop gap until I figure a few other things out. I also know boats get hot  - don't worry, my dog is 16 and I got her this far without killing her or torturing her too much! She comes to work with me.

36 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It would be very difficult to get a job of any sort at the moment, possibly fruit and veg picking, if you are adaptable, can you drive a tractor?

If you wanted to work two weeks on,two off, where are you going to find such a job?

I know someone who cc s, does irregular work, but he has a m/bike so can stack shelves for afew months then have a break.

Long term I would advise anyone fit and healthy but not keen on office or retail ,to get a job outdoors, a proper job.

Where I am there is a big demand for HGV drivers, I think they sometimes work away for two weeks, but I am not sure,

I'm a professional private chef. I take temporary bookings for posh people. Once general lock down restrictions are lifted, there'll be work for me. I also have other irons in the fire, so to speak. I may also look into rota live-in caring jobs ( week on week off and other types of arrangements). I rather like taking care of this elderly lady where I am presently. There is a huge demand for that, and qualifications are easy to access. One must adapt!

Edited by Jacsprat
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Jacsprat said:

I talked with a broker today and he said all boat-related business have been ordered shut.

This is completely incorrect information.

You can buy a boat tommorow from Whilton, ABNB, RugbyBoatSales and others.

You may not be able to view the boat prior to purchase, but this is not unheard of, lots of boats get sold to people on the other side of the planet with them having view of video, pictures and other things, and maybe more information sent by email(previous surveys etc)

Deposit can be taken , and surveyors are still working....they can survey on their own quite happily.

If the boat you have seen really does fit the bill, make a call, someones business may need a monetary influx and things might move.....just take your own precautions on self distancing and sanitizing etc.

• Greenie 3

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You may not be able to view the boat prior to purchase, but this is not unheard of, lots of boats get sold to people on the other side of the planet with them having view of video, pictures and other things, and maybe more information sent by email(previous surveys etc)

Deposit can be taken , and surveyors are still working....they can survey on their own quite happily.

If the boat you have seen really does fit the bill, make a call, someones business may need a monetary influx and things might move.....just take your own precautions on self distancing and sanitizing etc.

Crazy! This chap told me he was pretty much locked out of the office and couldn't even access the file for the boat. Maybe it's just company policy in this case, or maybe he's simply enjoying some enforced time off. Really too bad for him, although I don't think he'd make a huge fortune from the commission of the boat I'm looking at. Thank you for that info matty40 - it'll keep me phoning and enquiring with positivity!

I wonder if you have looked at the cost of a marina berth, and terms and conditions, I only know where I am that it's annual or quarterly, there does not seem to be a big choice locally, the marina is full, I think there is a waiting list.

22 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Crazy! This chap told me he was pretty much locked out of the office and couldn't even access the file for the boat. Maybe it's just company policy in this case, or maybe he's simply enjoying some enforced time off. Really too bad for him, although I don't think he'd make a huge fortune from the commission of the boat I'm looking at. Thank you for that info matty40 - it'll keep me phoning and enquiring with positivity!

The government have a wage subsisidy scheme  for full time workers, essentially they stay at home, but key workers, who have to keep things going are still working , often restricted hours. Self employed, is complex.

I would think you can buy a boat if you are prepared to accept the restricted supply, and hope it is what you thought. I buy stuff every week , unseen, but am rarely disappointed, I use Paypal most of the time, credit cards also protect you to some extent.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I wonder if you have looked at the cost of a marina berth, and terms and conditions, I only know where I am that it's annual or quarterly, there does not seem to be a big choice locally, the marina is full, I think there is a waiting list.

Yes, thank you LadyG. I have looked into it. I'm looking for a non-residential mooring - when I'm working I'll be off the boat, when I'm not working, I'll be cruising. Really just need a safe place to leave the boat when I'm away. Should be ok.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I fully agree with Matty. The brokers are open and still trying to sell boats. We are in the middle of selling ours. We accepted an offer and had it surveyed the weekend before the lockdown but didn't do the 'test sail'(???). Just waiting now. The buyer  might come back with 'price too high' despite a great survey report with no faults to reduce price as some out there think prices will fall.....but what of the millions of peeps who go to Spain and Greece each summer? UK hols for a lot of peeps I think and the canals are the quietest places to go. I think it's going to get busy late summer when we can all get out again. Prices could equally go up so as someone earlier said, don't wait until prices come down.

We've been talking to the broker a lot and they are still trying to sell.  There are lots of buyers out there but they can't see the boats. Our broker is taking refundable deposits now to 'hold' a boat till after the lockdown. You could find a private sale to buy. Note the government restrictions allow you to travel to 'move home' so moving onto a boat is allowed.

We are quite happy at the moment as we can stay on this one until our new one is ready so no need to go and live in a house for a month. Our marina is still functioning and is a great environment to be in.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I fully agree with Matty. The brokers are open and still trying to sell boats. We are in the middle of selling ours. We accepted an offer and had it surveyed the weekend before the lockdown but didn't do the 'test sail'(???). Just waiting now. The buyer  might come back with 'price too high' despite a great survey report with no faults to reduce price as some out there think prices will fall.....but what of the millions of peeps who go to Spain and Greece each summer? UK hols for a lot of peeps I think and the canals are the quietest places to go. I think it's going to get busy late summer when we can all get out again. Prices could equally go up so as someone earlier said, don't wait until prices come down.

We've been talking to the broker a lot and they are still trying to sell.  There are lots of buyers out there but they can't see the boats. Our broker is taking refundable deposits now to 'hold' a boat till after the lockdown. You could find a private sale to buy. Note the government restrictions allow you to travel to 'move home' so moving onto a boat is allowed.

We are quite happy at the moment as we can stay on this one until our new one is ready so no need to go and live in a house for a month. Our marina is still functioning and is a great environment to be in.

Excellent and informative - thank you Dr Bob. I think I'm a bit unlucky to have a boat I'm interested in with a broker who at the moment, is completely uninterested in selling it. Better move on, I guess. Congrats on your sale - I hope it all goes smoothly as possible for you. Under the wire, eh?

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nope - owners of old 'historical' narrowboats were millionaires when they bought them, now they play instruments on street-corners to raise money to buy the next deck plank.

Like accordians, and some are so skint, they have to make a racket on other peoples large bells. Or ;) jump around with little bells on their feet esp on May 1st.

Edited by mark99
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, David Mack said:

Boatyards and brokers are shut at the moment, but you can probably buy privately still if the vendor is willing to come to some arrangement for viewing 

Viewing a boat for sale doesn't sound like essential travel to me.

image.png.985bfa32084035440618e8ecaa3e8f44.png

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I think this is a grey area in my case. I need a place to live. Moving home is permitted but discouraged of course. 

40 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The brokers are NOT allowing viewings except those in a position to buy immediately and who put deposit down. No fender kickers who have not put their house in the market yet  no Sunday afternoon dreamers, no "I have a list of 70 and neef to see them all" folks. 

People like the OP, people who have been kicked out of their Travelodge after house sale are all in a position to spend and move into their new home ASAP.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Jacsprat said:

Excellent and informative - thank you Dr Bob. I think I'm a bit unlucky to have a boat I'm interested in with a broker who at the moment, is completely uninterested in selling it. Better move on, I guess. Congrats on your sale - I hope it all goes smoothly as possible for you. Under the wire, eh?

Could it be your Broker has an office in someone else's marina and they have gone into lockdown preventing him from carrying on.

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Could it be your Broker has an office in someone else's marina and they have gone into lockdown preventing him from carrying on.

Entirely possible. I regret sounding tetchy about it - everyone has different circumstances. However, I just contacted the boat's owner (it had been briefly for sale privately before it went into marina and I kept her details), so perhaps she can make something happen. 

2 hours ago, Jacsprat said:

Entirely possible. I regret sounding tetchy about it - everyone has different circumstances. However, I just contacted the boat's owner (it had been briefly for sale privately before it went into marina and I kept her details), so perhaps she can make something happen. 

You could bypass the broker and deal with the owner

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You could bypass the broker and deal with the owner

Haha!! Just tried that. She says she has to go through the broker - contract and all that. 

Maybe time to reveal that the boat I'm after is a very tidy little 'atypical' Springer. I know, I know - it's a SPRINGER, but I believe it's been well'maintained and well-loved and will get me on the water safely. Good low-budget starter. It'll be a leap of faith if I go through with it (IF it will be possible to go through with it!), but it's not a huge spend. Worth the jump I think!

Edited by Jacsprat