Good time to buy to buy a basic narrow boat - yes or no?

Jacsprat

Featured Posts

Don't think too much about it - gut instinct responses from experienced boaters living aboard greatly appreciated! Are you all feeling positive out there, or is the future of CCing looking a bit grim, especially for those working from their boats?

A small amount of background for me: 

• I just got back to the UK after a year of bicycle touring abroad with my little dog - arrived about two months before the outbreak and am in precarious, temporary rented accommodation :    ( www.dogandsnailbiketravels.com)
  • I've been looking at narrow boats for about two years, so have swotted up on what I can from a newbie perspective
  • I have an extensive background of full-time living and travelling in campervans 
  • built a basic tiny house mostly by myself in Canada which I lived in for a couple of years, so am comfortable with basic DIY
  • don't have a huge budget, alas, so am looking at shorter boats with good hulls and engines as a priority
  • I'll probably have to work off the boat, so a marina mooring may be necessary. Plan is to work two weeks per month and cruise (when restrictions are loosened) for the other two weeks

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful replies! Stay well!!

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think you'll struggle to buy a NB in current lockdown conditions.

Certainly no-one responsible will be willing to show you around one for sale.

Yes - fully understood. Shopping online at the moment, and as soon as restrictions are loosened, I hope to view my narrowed-down list in person of course. I will aim for full survey and proper handover. I guess I should qualify the question by saying, 'post-lockdown'.

Edited by Jacsprat

1 minute ago, dmr said:

We are in a national and global event the like of which we have not really seen before, and the story is still unfolding. Anybody who makes any predictions is just guessing.

I can only offer a bit of wisdom here, if you want to do something then just do it, don't waste away your life waiting for prices to rise, prices to fall, or for some other event outside of your control to occur.

.................Dave

Very wise Dave - good, philosophical answer! Thank you

I rather fear you have quite a few more months to wait before any responsible person is likely to be prepared to sell you a boat.  I would dearly love to think that it might be possible at least in this calendar year, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

In another life I organise a team of people being at multiple performances of music and dance throughout the year, and normally we would now be in the situation where we would have regular engagements, typically not less than 4 or 5 a month, including some big ones far from our normal base.  Clearly all these events are getting pulled, but I am seeing one or two publishing a revised date in August or beyond.  I'm not really expecting these will happen, (though I'd be very happy to be proved wrong on this point!).

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I rather fear you have quite a few more months to wait before any responsible person is likely to be prepared to sell you a boat.  I would dearly love to think that it might be possible at least in this calendar year, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

In another life I organise a team of people being at multiple performances of music and dance throughout the year, and normally we would now be in the situation where we would have regular engagements, typically not less than 4 or 5 a month, including some big ones far from our normal base.  Clearly all these events are getting pulled, but I am seeing one or two publishing a revised date in August or beyond.  I'm not really expecting these will happen, (though I'd be very happy to be proved wrong on this point!).

Yes, certainly in your line of work, it's hard to imagine anything at all going forward this year. Very sorry for all of the folks that count on that kind of thing. I do hope you're wrong about boat sellers though - I'm thinking that it may be one of those businesses they'll allow to get up and running shortly as long as they practice good social distance habits. I've found a couple of boats that may work, but will have to sit on it until at least the end of this particular lock down, and probably longer - urgh. If I can't get a boat in the next two months, I'll have to find another rental to spend a fortune on. Much rather put that money towards a boat...alas!

5 hours ago, dmr said:

We are in a national and global event the like of which we have not really seen before, and the story is still unfolding. Anybody who makes any predictions is just guessing.

I can only offer a bit of wisdom here, if you want to do something then just do it, don't waste away your life waiting for prices to rise, prices to fall, or for some other event outside of your control to occur.

.................Dave

So very true Dave. The older I get (64) the more and more this becomes apparent. Follow your dream and with your experience and attitude you wont; look back I'm sure.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If the hire fleets can't rent out their boats for at least 3 weeks, could they be induced to rent to liveaboards on a short term basis?

I can't imagine so. I talked with a broker today and he said all boat-related business have been ordered shut. I'm sure the exceptions are those who provide essential services to residential boaters. In my situation, I have two months before I have to leave my rental - fingers crossed it'll be enough time to find a decent boat and be allowed to purchase it!

Edited by Jacsprat

7 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

I can't imagine so. I talked with a broker today and he said all boat-related business have been ordered shut. I'm sure the exceptions are those who provide essential services to residential boaters. In my situation, I have two months before I have to leave my rental - fingers crossed it'll be enough time to find a decent boat and be allowed to purchase it!

I received this from 'my' marina March 27th :

In these continued difficult times, our priority remains the health and well-being of our staff and customers.

We have recently received further guidance from the British Marine Federation and The Yacht Harbour Association giving us more clarity on the government’s regulations, specifically in relation to the marine sector.  With this in mind, we are writing to update you on our current steps to ensure we are adhering to the latest government advice to ensure your safety during this time.

Following the government advice for us all to stay at home, avoid all non-essential travel and to practice social distancing we would like to advise customers of the following:

• Please remain in your primary residence and do not use your boat to self-isolate. We ask that you follow government advice and stay at home and avoid all non-essential travel.
  • Our marina receptions and other land-side facilities such as washrooms and laundries are closed to the public and berth holders until further notice.
  • Our office-based staff, wherever possible are working remotely. If you wish to contact the marina office, please do so via telephone or email where our staff are on hand to answer your queries, discuss your berthing renewal options, give you an update on your boat and take payments as normal.
  • Fuel is only available for essential commercial vessels and social distancing must be strictly adhered to while fuelling is taking place.
  • Our marina operatives remain on site carrying out essential work to help your boat remain safe and secure under the current circumstances. They are continuing with daily checks and essential marina maintenance as well as checking lines and fenders. If you have a specific concern you would like checked on your boat, while you remain at home following government advice, please do not hesitate to contact us.

This is a difficult time for all of us and with the sun shining we appreciate your continued support in following the government advice to stay at home. However, please rest assured that our teams are doing their best to take care of your boat amidst this uncertainty and are on hand via phone or email to answer your questions and allay any concerns you may have with regards to your boat.

We very much hope that as soon as the restrictions are formally lifted by the government, we will see you all down on your boats enjoying the sunshine and getting back on the water later this summer.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Do you have a mooring all ready?

6 hours ago, Jacsprat said:

I will aim for full survey and proper handover.

I can't imagine any yards opening and being willing to dock your prospective purchase for a survey in the next two months.

Six months might be a possibility in my opinion, but more likely a year or more. Frankly, I'd be inclined to sign up for another year on your current tenancy. Or better, insist on it rolling over into a periodic tenancy. That way you can leave when you like at one month notice. Any LL will be delighted for you to stay on as currently the rental market is moribund given the ban on moving house. (Dunno if that changed yesterday with the new guidance to police).

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Spelling.

Boatyards and brokers are shut at the moment, but you can probably buy privately still if the vendor is willing to come to some arrangement for viewing (assuming access to the boat's current mooring is available). You won't be able to get the boat docked for survey though. But if the price is right there might be an opportunity to take the risk and buy a cheap boat.

Having bought it you can't really move it far.

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Do you have a mooring all ready?

Possibly, but happy to CC until a mooring is possible (understand that it's only 'essential travel' on the canal at the moment). What a world we are in at the 'mo!

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Boatyards and brokers are shut at the moment, but you can probably buy privately still if the vendor is willing to come to some arrangement for viewing (assuming access to the boat's current mooring is available). You won't be able to get the boat docked for survey though. But if the price is right there might be an opportunity to take the risk and buy a cheap boat.

Having bought it you can't really move it far.

You've read my mind. 

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I can't imagine any yards opening and being willing to dock your prospective purchase for a survey in the next two months.

Six months might be a possibility in my opinion, but more likely a year or more. Frankly, I'd be inclined to sign up for another year on your current tenancy. Or better, insist on it rolling over into a periodic tenancy. That way you can leave when you like at one month notice. Any LL will be delighted for you to stay on as currently the rental market is moribund given the ban on moving house. (Dunno if that changed yesterday with the new guidance to police).

As far as I understand, it is possible to legally move at the moment, but discouraged. You are right though - it'll be a renter's market for a while. Money thrown out the window, however, if I can get on a boat.

3 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

As far as I understand, it is possible to legally move at the moment, but discouraged. You are right though - it'll be a renter's market for a while. Money thrown out the window, however, if I can get on a boat.

I guess I was trying to illustrate the two month deadline to move out is a bit of a phantom deadline. Your tenancy can revert to periodic, then you can end it to suit yourself, not the landlord. 

Have a google of periodic tenancy, if you've not heard about this. 

12 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Possibly, but happy to CC until a mooring is possible (understand that it's only 'essential travel' on the canal at the moment). What a world we are in at the 'mo!

You've read my mind. 

I think all moorings run by CRT are locked only as much as cc s can stay in one place for as long as lockdown continues, water and Elsan remain open, so it could be easier to cc, in that it is c mooring except for facilities. There is very little movement here, but there is some. There are three mooring types where I am, difficulty is you can't view them, and you don't have a boat.

Things may be very different in other places. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I guess I was trying to illustrate the two month deadline to move out is a bit of a phantom deadline. Your tenancy can revert to periodic, then you can end it to suit yourself, not the landlord. 

Have a google of periodic tenancy, if you've not heard about this. 

Indeed, but the situation is a bit out of the ordinary. I'm in the annex of an elderly lady's property. Her daughter understandably wants to come and care for her mother during the crisis (something I'm doing at the moment as an emergency measure) and needs the annex for herself. I'm under pressure to move on. Already here a month past our original agreement. 

1 minute ago, Jacsprat said:

Indeed, but the situation is a bit out of the ordinary. I'm in the annex of an elderly lady's property. Her daughter understandably wants to come and care for her mother during the crisis (something I'm doing at the moment as an emergency measure) and needs the annex for herself. I'm under pressure to move on. Already here a month past our original agreement. 

Oh I see, tricky. Nothing is ever straightforward is it!!

Just now, Jacsprat said:

Somehow especially not in my life! But I kind of like it that way...

Buying a boat without a survey is not necessarily the disaster people would have you believe. I think you will just have to buy privately rather than from a broker.

What general area are you looking in?

7 hours ago, Jacsprat said:

Don't think too much about it - gut instinct responses from experienced boaters living aboard greatly appreciated! Are you all feeling positive out there, or is the future of CCing looking a bit grim, especially for those working from their boats?

A small amount of background for me: 

• I just got back to the UK after a year of bicycle touring abroad with my little dog - arrived about two months before the outbreak and am in precarious, temporary rented accommodation :    ( www.dogandsnailbiketravels.com)
  • I've been looking at narrow boats for about two years, so have swotted up on what I can from a newbie perspective
  • I have an extensive background of full-time living and travelling in campervans 
  • built a basic tiny house mostly by myself in Canada which I lived in for a couple of years, so am comfortable with basic DIY
  • don't have a huge budget, alas, so am looking at shorter boats with good hulls and engines as a priority
  • I'll probably have to work off the boat, so a marina mooring may be necessary. Plan is to work two weeks per month and cruise (when restrictions are loosened) for the other two weeks

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful replies! Stay well!!

It would be very difficult to get a job of any sort at the moment, possibly fruit and veg picking, if you are adaptable, can you drive a tractor?

If you wanted to work two weeks on,two off, where are you going to find such a job?

I know someone who cc s, does irregular work, but he has a m/bike so can stack shelves for afew months then have a break.

Long term I would advise anyone fit and healthy but not keen on office or retail ,to get a job outdoors, a proper job.

Where I am there is a big demand for HGV drivers, I think they sometimes work away for two weeks, but I am not sure,

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Buying a boat without a survey is not necessarily the disaster people would have you believe. I think you will just have to buy privately rather than from a broker.

What general area are you looking in?

Particularly if you do choose a surveyor, get a favourable report and then end up having to replace the whole bottom and quite a bit of the sides!

Not that anybody would be that unlucky! ?

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Particularly if you do choose a surveyor, get a favourable report and then end up having to replace the whole bottom and quite a bit of the sides!

Not that anybody would be that unlucky! ?

Anybody buying a historic boat without a survey is an idiot, I'm sure you'll agree.... how were the surveys on Sickle and Flamingo? 

My 'good' survey was done a year after I bought it., no doubt you remember really :)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit