Well (deck) I just don't know...

Tesla

Featured Posts

I have always assumed that the term "well deck" was used to describe a deep, non-draining forward deck. Am I now right in thinking this is not the case and that essentially anything other than a tug deck is in fact a well deck, self draining or otherwise?

I'd never really thought about it but yes I'd tend to refer to a deck sunken enough that one could put seats in it (rather than on it) as a well deck - Ripple had a fairly shallow one, Lutine a very deep (and below water level) one - both had fixed bench seats

To my mind there is also a distinction between a deck with a door to the cabin and one without - this may not have any correct terminology. Most of the ones without access the front deck isn't really useable space other than operationally for tying ropes etc, but canal time did have some boats with a well deck and a cross bench but no door to them.

1 minute ago, 1st ade said:

The pedant in me says the seats are on the deck but in the well...

My inner pedant would say yes to the second part but no to the first in most cases - well decks often have fixed seating and it isn't fixed to the floor..... ;) 

30 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Hmm, so how do people refer to this space? E.g. where is the kindling? In the cratch?  In the well deck? Up front? There isn't any, we have a diesel stove...

How would I refer to a front garden or the shed? I'm staying in the house I grew up in at the moment and the front garden was always "the front" unless the fact that it was a garden was relevant to what was being said

Ripple had a "front deck" which was a shallow well deck, Lutine had a "front well" because it was a deep well deck (and it had a second, very short deck forward of this), Juno has a "front" because to all intents and purposes there is no deck.

The songbird got confused on Lutine because the principle access was the back deck, so to her that was, like a house "the front" (although I normally live in a house where I never go out of the front door, always the back door!)

I've never had a cratch cover, if I had, the kindling would probably be "under the cratch cover" if that's where it was, but I'd say "untie the front" when we were setting off

On 18/04/2020 at 23:34, Matt&Jo said:

I love the detail of convo on here. Has me in stitches. You guys make this forum ?

FWIW id say in the well deck or up front even tho i have a cratch cover 

Yes but is your well deck self drain or not?