Anyone near Cropredy ?

waterdog

Featured Posts

Here's the BBC News take on the document issued as guidance to the police. I haven't come across the actual 3 page document itself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52312560

Oops! I have since found the actual document itself, came back here to post a link and discovered MtB had already done so in the post before mine. 

This is the page that includes the link. I've linked to it anyway as there may be other items of interest to some folk.

https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/Support/Health-safety/Pages/Covid-19.aspx

Edited by Lily Rose

1 hour ago, Mike on the Wey said:

"Residence" is determined on the facts, not on a piece of paper which happens to match a name with an address. The OP could draw on several supporting cases which have been through the courts involving capital gains tax and private residence relief. So I disagree that the OP would be travelling from a primary residence (Sussex) to a holiday home (Cropredy). A single relocation journey would surely be acceptable? A parallel is people returning to Heathrow on repatriation flights. Are they expected to hole-up in the nearest hotel for several weeks, or are they permitted to make a single journey to go home?

I agree that the more important question - and nothing to do with curtain-twitching - is whether they would be able to access Cropredy Marina to retrieve their boat. 

Cropredy Marina have shut the main gate and changed the access code. They turfed out anyone else including the pair of Hotel Boats that were prepping for their cruising season - no ifs or buts. Pissed off several moorers who hoped to self-isolate without thinking about the additional burden on the local surgery but hey s*"t happens. No-one other than staff are present. Your phone call will no doubt confirm this.  Take a look at the stats and hope  that you and your nearest and dearest don't become one.

Taken from MtB's link, this supports the OP being able to travel from Sussex to Cropredy. People are making it far more complicated than it is, and creating "infection scenarios" where the actual risk of infection is minimal. 

"The Regulations allow people to move house. This means that individuals can move between households. But this should be a genuine move (ie,measured in days, not hours)."

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Update,

The marina are happy for us to collect the boat subject to some entirely sensible precautions.

Also they are providing services for passing / nearby static boaters on a pre arranged basis, i.e. phone first and then pay over phone.

So getting back to our home looks entirely feasible. Just the obstacle of making the journey to overcome.

Give my boat a pat ?

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Update,

The marina are happy for us to collect the boat subject to some entirely sensible precautions.

Also they are providing services for passing / nearby static boaters on a pre arranged basis, i.e. phone first and then pay over phone.

So getting back to our home looks entirely feasible. Just the obstacle of making the journey to overcome.

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about the journey. It might be prudent to take a printout (or download) of the document (the one MtB linked to in post 51) with you just in case you get stopped by an officer not yet up-to-speed on the guidance.

9 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

Cropredy Marina have shut the main gate and changed the access code. They turfed out anyone else including the pair of Hotel Boats that were prepping for their cruising season - no ifs or buts. Pissed off several moorers who hoped to self-isolate without thinking about the additional burden on the local surgery but hey s*"t happens. No-one other than staff are present. Your phone call will no doubt confirm this.  Take a look at the stats and hope  that you and your nearest and dearest don't become one.

Glad to see that the OP has in fact found the Marina more helpful than suggested. The owners (Castle Marinas) are very clear on their policy:

"Castle Marinas has a responsibility to our community and families to enforce the sanctions imposed by HM Government on Tuesday 24th March. To keep the most vulnerable members of our community safe, we are asking all marina users to respect the advice and not to travel to the marina for the time being, unless your boat is classed as your ‘home’."

12 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Taken from MtB's link, this supports the OP being able to travel from Sussex to Cropredy. People are making it far more complicated than it is, and creating "infection scenarios" where the actual risk of infection is minimal. 

"The Regulations allow people to move house. This means that individuals can move between households. But this should be a genuine move (ie,measured in days, not hours)."

How can you, as an individual, measure your risk of transmitting the virus?

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

How can you, as an individual, measure your risk of transmitting the virus?

By self quarantining before you leave and not meeting anyone on the way or when you arrive at your destination. I would consider myself quite safe as I have not been near anyone for 3 weeks other than the wife and she hasn't met anyone since she went shopping over a week ago. I suppose its possible we may have contacted it from a letter we recieved

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Not in this thread...

Correct.

It was posted in the lockdown thread.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 hours ago, waterdog said:

Update,

If you want somewhere to leave your car off road and safe we have room. We are 10 miles from cropredy, and 1 mile from the grand union (Dodford), if you are heading north when permitted.

pm me if you need to. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

By self quarantining before you leave and not meeting anyone on the way or when you arrive at your destination. I would consider myself quite safe as I have not been near anyone for 3 weeks other than the wife and she hasn't met anyone since she went shopping over a week ago. I suppose its possible we may have contacted it from a letter we recieved

Since it seems that the virus can survive for a while outside the human body (it may also survive in animals but less clear) then you might unknowingly pick up contamination somewhere along the way and deposit it somewhere else. Incubation seems to have quite a variable length and a contact over a week ago could leave you still in the asymptomatic, but infectious, stage.

AFAIK, the only way to be sure that you are not infectious is to have a test, but you may still become infected after having had the test and before knowing its results.

As it stands, I would not want to consider you safe if you approached me.

3 hours ago, waterdog said:

Update,

Pleased for you guys ?

Our marina frouds bridge allowed my wife access as she had tablets on the boat she needed for her life long illness so they allowed her access and to stay for a few hours. Its over 1 hour away but an essential journey.

Being reasonable, compassionate and finding a way to do it safely is all that is needed.

Lets get real if you have isolated properly for 2 weeks and show no symptoms then your likely clear of covid 19 so travel with no interaction is very low risk.

Just now, Matt&Jo said:

Pleased for you guys ?

Our marina frouds bridge allowed my wife access as she had tablets on the boat she needed for her life long illness so they allowed her access and to stay for a few hours. Its over 1 hour away but an essential journey.

Being reasonable, compassionate and finding a way to do it safely is all that is needed.

Lets get real if you have isolated properly for 2 weeks and show no symptoms then your likely clear of covid 19 so travel with no interaction is very low risk.

But as the law is constructed, it is not yourself that you have to convince. Your actions have to pass a reasonableness test conducted by someone else, in principle, in a court.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

As it stands, I would not want to consider you safe if you approached me.

I don't consider ANYONE safe at the moment and I give everyone a wide berth. Not only am I protecting me, I may be protecting them as I may be incubating the virus.

haggis 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

But as the law is constructed, it is not yourself that you have to convince. Your actions have to pass a reasonableness test conducted by someone else, in principle, in a court.

Is that reality as an offender...no!

In hampshire from what ive seen and read as reported people are stopped and spoken to and issued a leaflet with names taken... then if they are found again they are issued a fine, not dragged to court in most curcumstances.

Im not saying it has not happened but i think that to be the exception not the rule across most counties and infact it was a judge who said that hull police force are grossly abusing powers under the covid 19 bill.

As far as im aware the police are not actually given powers to stop under the covid act but instead have to stop your for a legitimate reason under the road traffic act (so i have read) 

1 minute ago, haggis said:

I don't consider ANYONE safe at the moment and I give everyone a wide berth. Not only am I protecting me, I may be protecting them as I may be incubating the virus.

haggis 

Totally agree and that is where social distancing comes in with mask and gloves and glasses, im 36 and may look a t#at but its my minimum ppe when im out. 

1 minute ago, Matt&Jo said:

As far as im aware the police are not actually given powers to stop under the covid act but instead have to stop your for a legitimate reason under the road traffic act (so i have read) 

I doubt they are using RTA powers when kicking people of the East coast beaches.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I doubt they are using RTA powers when kicking people of the East coast beaches.

Your right alan thats covered under the covid bill but stopping people on motorways is becoming common practice now in hampshire and surrounding areas with over 350 people fined....hence why the government issued the police advice

4 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Is that reality as an offender...no!

In hampshire from what ive seen and read as reported people are stopped and spoken to and issued a leaflet with names taken... then if they are found again they are issued a fine, not dragged to court in most curcumstances.

Im not saying it has not happened but i think that to be the exception not the rule across most counties and infact it was a judge who said that hull police force are grossly abusing powers under the covid 19 bill.

A police officer or a PCSO has the power to issue a fixed penalty notice for contravening any part of the emergency rules. They may also stop a person they suspect of having COVID-19.

Whilst the chance of being caught for any particular offence will clearly affect how people behave, I thought that we were discussing what folk should do.