Anyone near Cropredy ?

waterdog

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Guidance" however, is not the law.

The law says something different.

Of course it's not the law, it's guidance.  However if it's not there to guide us, what's its point?

Why should something have to be a law before common sense dictates Don't do this?

The instruction is still  "... you must not visit it ...."

Like I said, some will say blah blah blah, however the purpose of this is to stop transmission of a killer virus, not the finer points of semantics. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

If, you have been stuck abroad, you arrive back in the uk, according to some, you can’t travel to your home.

But, the OP has not been 'stuck abroad' (on holiday) they have been 'stuck' in their primary residence and now wish to move to their 'holiday home'.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

Didn't the Scottish Spokesperson for Health just lose her job for doing just that?

No. She lost her job because she travelled to a second home.

I posted a link earlier as I said but its been ignored.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No. She lost her job because she travelled to a second home.

I posted a link earlier as I said but its been ignored.

...... but that's what the OP is doing.

"our "paper address" is here at our daughters in Sussex"  paper or otherwise, it's what they told the authorities.

• Greenie 1

Just now, zenataomm said:

...... but that's what the OP is doing.

"our "paper address" is here at our daughters in Sussex"  paper or otherwise, it's what they told the authorities.

So who is checking the paperwork?

Not the police.

Your primary residence is where your primary residence is. Not what it states on a piece of paper.

Guy's please, there is enough squabbling about semantics in other threads regarding covid 19. 

Rest assured we are well aware of the dangers around this horrible virus, we have already lost a family member to it who died alone in hospital with no visitors and was cremated with no family present. 

All things considered though and with a smidgen of common sense thrown in, I think we would less of a risk to others on the boat, and others would be less of a risk to us when compared to our current situation. 

If, and it is still an if, we return to the boat we will have considered all the options carefully.

I am noting the concerns raised on the thread so far but sometimes things are not exclusively black or white.

• Greenie 4

Their 'paper address' is their daughter's home.  It's not their home.  They've been staying there, but for reasons, need to move out.  I don't see the problem with the law or the guidance - see the document issued today to the police; under Other Reasons it say that 'Moving to a friend’s address for several days to allow a ‘cooling-off’ following arguments at home.' is a reasonable excuse.  The point is, that the move is not likely to be reversed in a few hours.  This is not a visit to the boat, it's resuming their temporarily interrupted life aboard.

I do agree that the marina itself may present larger problems to accessing their home....

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Their 'paper address' is their daughter's home.  It's not their home.  They've been staying there, but for reasons, need to move out.  I don't see the problem with the law or the guidance - see the document issued today to the police; under Other Reasons it say that 'Moving to a friend’s address for several days to allow a ‘cooling-off’ following arguments at home.' is a reasonable excuse.  The point is, that the move is not likely to be reversed in a few hours.  This is not a visit to the boat, it's resuming their temporarily interrupted life aboard.

I do agree that the marina itself may present larger problems to accessing their home....

There is no problem.

As i have said multiple times.

21 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Guy's please, there is enough squabbling about semantics in other threads regarding covid 19. 

Rest assured we are well aware of the dangers around this horrible virus, we have already lost a family member to it who died alone in hospital with no visitors and was cremated with no family present. 

All things considered though and with a smidgen of common sense thrown in, I think we would less of a risk to others on the boat, and others would be less of a risk to us when compared to our current situation. 

If, and it is still an if, we return to the boat we will have considered all the options carefully.

I am noting the concerns raised on the thread so far but sometimes things are not exclusively black or white.

From what I read, you are putting no-one, nor yourselves at any unreasonable significant additional risk and would just do it if your livaboard marina access in unimpeded.

Sometimes intelligent personal specific "risk assessment" wrt your family and the wider community (taking sensibly into account the whole circumstances) is more pragmatic than trying to navigate around vague and contradictory guidelines.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 2

I will qualify my response to the above with the unintelligent bollox my industry is being forced to comply with via todays published Gov guidelines. 

We are currently encouraged to goto work on building sites.

We are NOT forbidden to go to work by tube train etc.

We ARE allowed to work within 2M of each other if limited to less than 15 minutes. There is NO guidance what tou do after 15 mins. Ie go home or wait 10 mins and have another 15 min session within 2M.

You ARE allowed to travel in the same van to work if you always work with same person!

Edited by mark99

it is grey, our boat is our home and it is 10 miles (on one of our regular rides ) away.

However we were working on the house between tenants, and camping here. (Furnished let) 

We assume we are stuck here, yet according to guidelines can go for a rest while out  exercising which could be at boat.

Makes no sense.

24 minutes ago, mark99 said:

You ARE allowed to travel in the same van to work if you always work with same person!

Where do you get that one from please?

All the working vans near here are followed by one or two cars, and they all park near each other then start unloading the van to start work.  It's obvious they are the crew that usually would be sat in the van seats.

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

In today's email, it seems quite clear to me.

Of course some will say, but this is their home, they're only returning to it.

You yourself say, your residence is registered elsewhere, so if you want to nit pick about its meaning to you, then I suggest you might have the authorities being blunt with you about what they mean.  You're concentrating on the effect on this instruction to you, the authorities are concentrating on stopping movement to stop the transmission of a killer virus. It's your move and your conscience .... or not.  I understand there are many people whom have been caught away from their home, some abroad and they're stuck.

e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Coronavirus & boating update, 16 Apr 2020

............To be clear, if you are not currently occupying your boat the government guidance is that you must not visit it .................

That's a bit norty, pretending your rant is a CRT official Damian Rant.

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

Didn't the Scottish Spokesperson for Health just lose her job for doing just that?

No, she was forced to resign as she was supposed to be setting a good example to people she was telling not to do what she did, o her 2 consecutive weekends.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But, the OP has not been 'stuck abroad' (on holiday) they have been 'stuck' in their primary residence and now wish to move to their 'holiday home'.

My postal address is not my boat, my home is my boat.

I have never lived at my postal address,  would that be my primary residence and my boat my holiday home ?

• Greenie 1

The rules have been relaxed by the police as of this morning, you can go to live with a friend for a few days to help out or following an argument at home,

You can stop on a walk to rest on a bench or in a park for example,

You can buy non essential items and luxury items and buy and repair a fence if necessary or home improvements.

I hope this will stop people spying on neighbours or taking very harsh lines towards those just looking to return to your boat. You absolutely can now return to your boat if your stay was temporary with your son or daughter.

Go for it and enjoy life afloat again!!!

10 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

it is grey, our boat is our home and it is 10 miles (on one of our regular rides ) away.

However we were working on the house between tenants, and camping here. (Furnished let) 

We assume we are stuck here, yet according to guidelines can go for a rest while out  exercising which could be at boat.

Makes no sense.

You can go back to what you class as your home roland. 

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The link takes you to :

Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays.

As the OP states his registered home is not his boat, it is therefore a second home, and travel from your 'primary home' to your 'second home' is not essential and not allowed.

An unfortunate function of not declaring your actual residence.

Come on alan that's not really the situation here is it...

They were in the wrong place at the wrong time so they are now returning to there floating home, yes okay post is issued to the other address they are registered to a fixed address, most live aboards do that no doesn't mean that's there home. 

The originators should go to there floating home, "officer relationships are becoming strained, we went there to help out for a while but due to space and differing outlooks on life we are returning to our real floating home"

We need to be reasonable here if i go from my house to my car drive to a friend and drop of a disinfected parcel, keeping social distancing walking off before they open the door and get bk in my car and go home i have passed on nothing to nobody (except a parcel) we need to be a little less analytical and hardline here and support others on this forum during this crappy time.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

The rules have been relaxed by the police as of this morning, you can go to live with a friend for a few days to help out or following an argument at home,

You can stop on a walk to rest on a bench or in a park for example,

You can buy non essential items and luxury items and buy and repair a fence if necessary or home improvements.

I hope this will stop people spying on neighbours or taking very harsh lines towards those just looking to return to your boat. You absolutely can now return to your boat if your stay was temporary with your son or daughter.

Go for it and enjoy life afloat again!!!

You can go back to what you class as your home roland. 

Do you have any official source to this statement. 

"Residence" is determined on the facts, not on a piece of paper which happens to match a name with an address. The OP could draw on several supporting cases which have been through the courts involving capital gains tax and private residence relief. So I disagree that the OP would be travelling from a primary residence (Sussex) to a holiday home (Cropredy). A single relocation journey would surely be acceptable? A parallel is people returning to Heathrow on repatriation flights. Are they expected to hole-up in the nearest hotel for several weeks, or are they permitted to make a single journey to go home?

I agree that the more important question - and nothing to do with curtain-twitching - is whether they would be able to access Cropredy Marina to retrieve their boat. 

35 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Do you have any official source to this statement. 

Maybe it should have said the way the police are  interpreting them has changed, the rules are the Law and I don't think parliament have changed them. 

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe it should have said the way the police are  interpreting them has changed, the rules are the Law and I don't think parliament have changed them. 

Apologies yes ditchcrawler you are 100% correct.

It has been reported in the media today that the police have been asked to relax there interpretation of the rules with examples being given to the police as acceptable reasons to travel or stop in a public environment.

The government i feel whilst enforcing these laws does not want to cause kickback on social media etc for over zealous fines from police. 

I got the feed today on my mobile daily news page. 

Some forces have been called a disgrace for using drones to check public places and for over use of stop and search on motorway car drivers. It has been accepted that car journeys to a location to exercise is ok now, as long as the exercise outweighs the journey time for example.