Anyone near Cropredy ?

waterdog

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Semi hypothetical question here, 

We're looking for some info on services (water points, pump out, fuel) etc near Cropredy (ish). 

We are c.c. liveaboards and left our boat in Cropredy Marina just before the lockdown to look after our grandson in Sussex when the schools closed and his mum & dad were at work.

Three weeks later the government has now announced another 3 weeks minimum lockdown and our daughter and son in law are now both on furlough so we have become spare parts really and would like to get back to our home.

I'm not even sure if we can get into the marina whilst lockdown is ongoing, (I will phone them tomorrow) but assuming we can collect the boat and get back on the cut we then have to think about services, is anyone in the area who can advise on the current availability of water / fuel /pump outs please. Are any of the marinas in the area letting boats in to use the pump out ?

We will stick it out for another 3 weeks in a house if we have to but I'm starting to go a bit nuts. Not even sure if driving to the boat would be an essential journey but we would really just be going home, although our "paper address" is here at our daughters in Sussex which might cause issues if we were stopped by the police on the way. 

Be grateful for any info.

• Angry 1

11 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Hi All,

Semi hypothetical question here, 

We're looking for some info on services (water points, pump out, fuel) etc near Cropredy (ish). 

We are c.c. liveaboards and left our boat in Cropredy Marina just before the lockdown to look after our grandson in Sussex when the schools closed and his mum & dad were at work.

Three weeks later the government has now announced another 3 weeks minimum lockdown and our daughter and son in law are now both on furlough so we have become spare parts really and would like to get back to our home.

I'm not even sure if we can get into the marina whilst lockdown is ongoing, (I will phone them tomorrow) but assuming we can collect the boat and get back on the cut we then have to think about services, is anyone in the area who can advise on the current availability of water / fuel /pump outs please. Are any of the marinas in the area letting boats in to use the pump out ?

We will stick it out for another 3 weeks in a house if we have to but I'm starting to go a bit nuts. Not even sure if driving to the boat would be an essential journey but we would really just be going home, although our "paper address" is here at our daughters in Sussex which might cause issues if we were stopped by the police on the way. 

Be grateful for any info.

"Keep em peeled" 

Police boat.jpg

• Greenie 1

I agree, it’s their home and circumstances beyond their control have dictated their situation. 

I believe all Castle Marinas have closed to non livaboards. As you say, call them tomorrow and find out what the score is regarding getting in to move back into your home.

We are, and have been, in Banbury since before the lock down. We are managing well. Visit Tesco occasionally. Pop down to Banbury services for water and the Elsan. Dog walking is well catered for on Spiceball Park to which we are moored adjacent to.

I know I would be trying to get back onboard if I were you. There are a couple of moorings. 

• Greenie 3

Thanks for that Nightwatch, yes the boat is our home, normally 24/7.

We have a porta potti onboard so using an elsan would be possible. Much rather get a pump out though ?

Please no pump out versus cassette arguments ?

Edited by waterdog

1 minute ago, waterdog said:

We have a porta potti onboard so using an elsan would be possible. Much rather get a pump out though ?

I have now spent over 4 weeks in a poxy house due to this virus, its dreadful. I normaly live on my boat and have done for many years. I will suffer here for a further 3 weeks but if it goes on longer I am travelling back to my home. Being classed as Homeless by the government anyway when I registered to vote some of the lockdown doesnt apply.

43 minutes ago, matty40s said:

f the boat IS their home, then they ARE allowed,

Agreed, but - they have said that the boat is not their registered home (which is the bricks & mortar where they are)

I think the Police would take a lot of convincing.

Our boat is our home for 4-6 months in the Summer but I wouldn't like to try getting to it at the moment.

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Not sure if you can get a pump out at Cropredy Marina. Now!. Otherwise I think you’d be lucky to get a pump out. We have a pumpout arrangement but the porta potti is getting lots of attention. It’s okay.

Edited by Nightwatch

I'd suggest the nearest would nbe 

1 hour ago, waterdog said:

Ignore Tracey/boater/hider sam, he prolly forgot to take his medication this morning.

Nearest with all that would be Fenny Compton Marina going north, about a four hour cruise. Whether they are open or not is another thing. If not, then keep going to Braunston. Going south I'm pretty sure the marina just as you go into Banbury has all you ask for, but Banbury is not a nice place to be at the moment. 

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ignore Tracey/boater/hider sam, he prolly forgot to take his medication this morning.

Nearest with all that would be Fenny Compton Marina going north, about a four hour cruise. Whether they are open or not is another thing. If not, then keep going to Braunston. Going south I'm pretty sure the marina just as you go into Banbury has all you ask for, but Banbury is not a nice place to be at the moment. 

Thanks Mike, we filled up / emptied at Fenny on our way down. The pump out there is self service so could well be an option if they are still operating. 

Just now, waterdog said:

Thanks Mike, we filled up / emptied at Fenny on our way down. The pump out there is self service so could well be an option if they are still operating. 

Not so sure they have water available for non-moorers, but there is a CRT water point 400yds north outside The Wharf pub.

Plenty of mooring and parking around the pub, too.

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is that because we're there? Sovereign Wharf open Fridays only, but I’ve not seen any movement there at all whilst we have been here.

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Is that because we're there? Sovereign Wharf open Fridays only, but I’ve not seen any movement there at all whilst we have been here.

Yeah that's the place! You have a maureen there now? Or towpath opposite? 

Quite like it there.....

In today's email, it seems quite clear to me.

Of course some will say, but this is their home, they're only returning to it.

You yourself say, your residence is registered elsewhere, so if you want to nit pick about its meaning to you, then I suggest you might have the authorities being blunt with you about what they mean.  You're concentrating on the effect on this instruction to you, the authorities are concentrating on stopping movement to stop the transmission of a killer virus. It's your move and your conscience .... or not.  I understand there are many people whom have been caught away from their home, some abroad and they're stuck.

e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Coronavirus & boating update, 16 Apr 2020

............To be clear, if you are not currently occupying your boat the government guidance is that you must not visit it .................
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yeah that's the place! You have a maureen there now? Or towpath opposite? 

Quite like it there.....

Towpath side. Convenient for dog walking and essential exercise.?

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

Harsh....

And wrong.

You are allowed to move between households.

I posted a link eariler confirming this which seems to have just been ignored.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Guidance" however, is not the law.

The law says something different.

The link takes you to :

Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays.

As the OP states his registered home is not his boat, it is therefore a second home, and travel from your 'primary home' to your 'second home' is not essential and not allowed.

An unfortunate function of not declaring your actual residence.

• Greenie 1

If, you have been stuck abroad, you arrive back in the uk, according to some, you can’t travel to your home.

The OP told the story, now they want to go home to their boat. Can’t see an issue. 

My land address not my boat obviously. But I live on my boat. My boat is my one and only home.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

And wrong.

You are allowed to move between households.

I posted a link eariler confirming this which seems to have just been ignored.

Didn't the Scottish Spokesperson for Health just lose her job for doing just that?

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

This is exactly what is not allowed!  Please don't risk spreading the contageon by your selfish actions.

One of the more tiresome aspects of the current lock down is people like yourself self appointing themselves as the 'social media enforcers' of the rules without actually checking what is and is not allowed.