Kington, Leominster & Stourport Canal.

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

I have a copy of Thomas Dadford's survey map of 1789 that was republished by Richard Dean, it does show where locks, bridges, tunnels and aqueducts where located  even on the sections that where never finished, but the scale is very small does anyone have a larger scale route map so that I can accurately add features to my maps?

Before I became interested in the canal network, I lived at a place on the first map, Eyton. We used to walk to an area that I now recognise as part of a man made navigation which is shown. Lots of stonework etc. Interesting.

Edited by Nightwatch
Edited to correct spell check.

While on the subject, does anyone know the current state of the Rea aqueduct after the partial collapse of 3 years ago?  And another question - do any pictures exist of the Teme aqueduct complete ie before the central arch was blown up?

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2020 at 17:36, archie57 said:

While on the subject, does anyone know the current state of the Rea aqueduct after the partial collapse of 3 years ago?  And another question - do any pictures exist of the Teme aqueduct complete ie before the central arch was blown up?

I have now seen a couple of photos of the Teme aqueduct before demolition but as they are in a RCHS publication I can't post them here as it a pdf, would also need the picture owners permission.

On 16/04/2020 at 17:36, archie57 said:

I visited the Rea aqueduct in 2018; it was not in a good state. 

Rea Aqueduct 2.JPG

Rea Aqueduct - exposed clay lining.JPG

I have a copy of  an LCP Booklet No 1 that is an introduction to the Leominster canal. It contains many details and some pictures. It was written by Gerry Calderbank with pictures by Martin Hudson. I am not sure if it is copyright so cannot post but may be available online.

Carl

• 1 year later...

I explored some of the canal in the late 1990s and found the possible of the unfinished remains at Eyton Common. I suspect that work may have continued for some distance along the lane and the house that look lkie a small holding may in fact be canal related. A puzzle for me is that much of the canal channel seems very narrow, and at some points .. approaches to the Woofferton Aqueduct and North of Putnall Tunnel it would have been hard for a full length narrow boat to go around the curves with such a narrow channel .. my thought are that it was actually built as a tub boat canal?

Edited by mudpuppy

There was also a short section of water filled canal about a mile North of Wharf House at Leominster which ended by the site of of bridge across a lane that leads to The Moors .. there was also some masonery remains behind at hedge at the end of the lane that looked as if they might have been part of the bridge.

Edited by mudpuppy

• 3 weeks later...

There is no record of the Leominster being a tub boat canal and certainly conveyed boats up to a certain size, Being an isolated waterway from Mamble to Leominster the boats on it may have varied in dimensions. Much of the history has concentrated on infrastructure, but carriage of coal seems to have been a principal cargo. Photos of the locks indicate boats were of a size comparable with narrow boat usage.