Interior Hull Paint - What goes on top of red oxide?

Featured Posts

Ok, I’ve done some research and read through the Jotamastic data sheets etc. And I’ve decided to go with the Jotamastic 80 winter grade primer and the Hardtop XP as the top coat. I’ve also bought a wet film gauge, proper job like ? 

It seems to be the least hard wearing of the Jotamastic range but is surface tolerant and the least expensive and recommended for interior use. I think it will be more than adequate for the inside of the narrowboat.

Thank you everyone for your help! 

41 minutes ago, WillCful said:

Ok, I’ve done some research and read through the Jotamastic data sheets etc. And I’ve decided to go with the Jotamastic 80 winter grade primer and the Hardtop XP as the top coat. I’ve also bought a wet film gauge, proper job like ? 

It seems to be the least hard wearing of the Jotamastic range but is surface tolerant and the least expensive and recommended for interior use. I think it will be more than adequate for the inside of the narrowboat.

Thank you everyone for your help! 

Not an expert but why did you not select Jotamastic  90?  Is this paint going to be visible and cosmetic/decorative?

If its not decorative then no need for a topcoat, In epoxy terms there is not so much difference between primer and topcoat so a coat or two of primer would be fine.

.................Dave 

On 16/04/2020 at 16:06, mrsmelly said:

On my new Hull I did the whole lot in waxoyl. Warm day and spray it on. Quicker by a mile and does a great job. 

• Kills old rust and prevents new rust
  • Forms a flexible weatherproof skin

Unfortunately I believed Waxoyl’s claim that it kills rust, so I blathered it all over my old boat’s bilge, after very intensive scraping and vacuuming, only to find that condensation water got under the waxoyl layer, over time and the Waxoyl skin prevented the moisture from evaporating resulting in a constantly damp bilge.