Thinking on expanding WBWS

W+T

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

If you live aboard for 13 days and then move for one day or less then the predominant use must be not for navigation therefore it must be a houseboat.

Agreed - don't shoot the messenger, I simply offered C&RTs own (revised following a legal challenge) definition

14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe, but the one I gave you the phone number of, who you messed about for a week, then told to f**k off is more than merely competent.

He has spent thirty years designing the electronic systems we rely on today, and since moving onto a boat ten years ago thought he might apply his skills to the benefit of the boating community.  So he took the British Marine course alluded to above, and came back complaining that the people running it had missed half the point of the ISO standard that forms most of the RCD regulations.

The chap you snubbed was a real, qualified engineer - with decades of experience - who was prepared to cross the country to fix your boat because I had asked him to.  As a favour to me, because you had said on here that you needed help.

Thanks Jo.  I now owe him extra favours.

Is the visitor mooring you have moved to as good as you expected this week?

yes, i did apologise for that, my fault, but there is three days work plus travel and overnight, i could not see it being profitable on either side.

i am now in the same marina, but on a nice mooring, not usually available as it has no electrics, but I am fifty feet from water point, diesel point, and 100 feet from Elsan.

A wonderful mooring, woken up by birdsong, the air is fresh, the locals are friendly.

1 hour ago, Keith M said:

It is my understanding if your craft is registered as a houseboat then the wiring is to the IET 18 edition. 

Not ISO 13297 AC wiring which now incorporates 10133 for DC wiring.

I am rather out of date as the last copy I was very conversant with, was the 13th. but just old

7 hours ago, Keith M said:

Any one can purchase a copy of the BMEEA C of P.

Just contact the technical department of the British Marine Federation.

Or download it here:

https://britishmarine.co.uk/-/media/British-Marine-Rules-and-Code-of-Practice.pdf

Pages 15-17

4 hours ago, Keith M said:

It is my understanding if your craft is registered as a houseboat then the wiring is to the IET 18 edition. 

Not ISO 13297 AC wiring which now incorporates 10133 for DC wiring.

Even down to the use of T&E in preference to flex?

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Or download it here:

https://britishmarine.co.uk/-/media/British-Marine-Rules-and-Code-of-Practice.pdf

Pages 15-17

Even down to the use of T&E in preference to flex?

I guess that depends on which version of 'houseboat' is used.

If it is the version 'has no engine fitted and unable to move', T&E is probably acceptable.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I guess that depends on which version of 'houseboat' is used.

If it is the version 'has no engine fitted and unable to move', T&E is probably acceptable.

Yes, as in that awful thing that George Clarke showed. It was a floating house - the word ‘boat’ should not have been used at all. 

I wonder how great the risk really is of using T&E on a House boat or a Narrowboat. We used SWA solid conductor offshore and also MI without major problems.MI did play up a bit but they insisted on it for Emergency systems but I think a lot of that may have been down to pore installation. The vibration level was sufficient to make a DP fire extinguisher solid with a year

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder how great the risk really is of using T&E on a House boat or a Narrowboat.

Probably not huge, in much the same way as soldered joints are to be deprecated in favour of crimps; not that it’s going to fail next week, month or even maybe year, but it will certainly fail before an ‘approved’ method will. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Probably not huge, in much the same way as soldered joints are to be deprecated in favour of crimps; not that it’s going to fail next week, month or even maybe year, but it will certainly fail before an ‘approved’ method will. 

Well my old A30, Spitfire, Frog eye Sprite all has soldered bullet joints and I never had one fall off, they did corrode into the female parts and needed dragging out with pliers 

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well my old A30, Spitfire, Frog eye Sprite all has soldered bullet joints and I never had one fall off, they did corrode into the female parts and needed dragging out with pliers 

And you didn’t find any of them all green and corroded at the junction of the soldered part?