draft advice

old_git

Featured Posts

Having been a part owner of a shared ownership boat and been frutrated by it's ability to ground at the slightest oppertunity, when I eventually save up for my own boat, next year hopefully, I want to get something a bit little less ...deep, what is a good draft to aim for (present boat is approx 2 foot 9in at the stern). What is the normal in new or newish boats? Few builders seem to quote this in their specs, will a shallow draft compromise stability?Will be looking at boats approx 45 to 50 foot. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

Having been a part owner of a shared ownership boat and been frutrated by it's ability to ground at the slightest oppertunity, when I eventually save up for my own boat, next year hopefully, I want to get something a bit little less ...deep, what is a good draft to aim for (present boat is approx 2 foot 9in at the stern). What is the normal in new or newish boats? Few builders seem to quote this in their specs, will a shallow draft compromise stability?Will be looking at boats approx 45 to 50 foot. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

That question really depends on where you plan to do most of yr cruising.

I cruise the Macclesfield, Caldon and Peak Forest canals reguarly and these are known to be shallow canals, so I would look for a shallow draught etc.

Oh and if your planning to cruise the Huddersfield canals get one with wheels on the bottom

Edited by Maverick

Hi Git.

I think you have said it all yourself, just avoid the extremes. My experience is similar to Mavericks'. My boat is well over two feet draft and is based on the Peak Forest which is as shallow as any on the system, it is also very narrow which is significant too.

Even in my position I would recommend a daft a little over 2ft but certainly below 3. Anyway getting stuck now an again is all part of the fun and I can't remember when I last used my boarding plank.

Yeah, till read that your present boat is 2ft9, i was about to say that emilyanne is about 2' 8/9" ish and we get on ok

She does run aground where others that are shallower dont, and sometimes there is 8inchs of wet between you and the bank.

- However i personal think it well worth it for having a solid feeling boat, a big propeller, and plenty of head room (im pushing 6ft3)

We've covered most of the network in her, T&M/Bridgewater/Thames obvously fine, but also lower oxford, upper llangolen, and are currently on th caldon. Although our plans for doing the rochdale/huddersfield have been postponded till next year due to time constrints.

I can also now tell you the with an air draught of 5ft2, at a width of 5ft8, you can get though froghall tunnel. Just.

Daniel

A bit of a hard one this but because of the increased legal importance for builders to demonstrate conformity to the stability requirements boats will now tend to have a deeper draft.

Obviously this is a balancing act but many designs are pushed towards the two deep if you were to follow it to the letter so the obvious solution is reduce the number of passengers the test is based on and put that on the builders plate.

Did you loose much paint Daniel?
Some. But not much, just bit of a scrape down the first 6inchs of cabin on both sides, and the very leading corner of the two side hatches.

It was a tight fit, any more than maybe an inch or two and it would proberbly be touching both sides at the same time in places.

- Going in the first half we where very carefull just pushing though with hands as we where worried we might stick, but once we where though the first 10ft (tightest bit, just under the road) i just cracked the regulator back and ticked though at 60revs with the rudder in the middle and bit of light contact.

- But very minor paint-only damage is franktly not an isse for me, well worth it for sure. And im sure if it ever became something we did reguarly every few months or so, a bit of 10mm ply could be made into paint protectors or somthing!

Well worth it though, even if there only 350yrds of canal and one lock the otherside as yet.

Daniel