Why is Albion Junction on the BCN main line so called?

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I always thought that Albion was the name of this part of Birmingham in olden days ( like village name).   Albion was ancient name for Britain apparently.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=52.51678&lon=-2.01961&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Indeed, Albion, whether perfidious or not, as a name for Britain is well known, but why only West Brom, Brighton and Burton chose to name their soccer teams after it remains a mystery!

Edited by Athy

Slight aside but there is an area of Ellesmere Port called Wolverham, local talk is the area was originally filled with a lot of ex working boaters from Wolverhampton and Brum, plus a later influx to work a corrugated steel works

Has anyone any information/facts/old wives tales to back this up?

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

Indeed, Albion, whether perfidious or not, as a name for England is well known, but why only West Brom, Brighton and Burton chose to name their soccer teams after it remains a mystery!

I believe that Albion is a name for the whole island of Great Britain, not just England

James

Edited by JamesWoolcock
Typo

14 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

I believe that Albion is a name for the whole island of Great Britain, not just England

James

I believe you're right. I must have forgotten about the other bits.

3 hours ago, max's son said:

Superb view. It’s always surprising how unbuilt-up the Black Country was compared to now when seemingly every piece of land has been developed in some way.

For orientation then I believe we have the Wednesbury Canal in the foreground with Ryders Green Junction not too far away off to the right and Albion Junction itself top centre left.

Is there an arm visible directly opposite the Gower branch at Albion Junction?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

22 hours ago, max's son said:

Where exactly is this? I looked on the NLS at Albion Junction and it doesn't seem to tally (the 1902 maps shows a 'Dunkirk' branch opposite Albion Junction, which isn't evident here, let alone the arms here being under cover. 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.51688&lon=-2.02687&layers=168&b=1

48 minutes ago, Andrew Denny said:

Where exactly is this? I looked on the NLS at Albion Junction and it doesn't seem to tally (the 1902 maps shows a 'Dunkirk' branch opposite Albion Junction, which isn't evident here, let alone the arms here being under cover. 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.51688&lon=-2.02687&layers=168&b=1

Doesn't post #12 answer this? The Dunkirk branch runs left to right just below the top of the photo.

30 minutes ago, max's son said:

image.png.abb0535ebdb5eea60c3e8f86b8f26e85.pngimage.png.9d7226fa2f22d906fff3d553a217da68.png

National Grid Reference SO987911

Are the crosshairs on Wood Lane intended to show the position above which the aerial view was taken?

Also, does anyone know the origin of Dunkirk as the name of the branch and the toll island?

JP

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Doesn't post #12 answer this? The Dunkirk branch runs left to right just below the top of the photo.

Not sure about that. The Dunkirk branch runs opposite to the Gower Jnct.  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=52.51893&lon=-2.03081&layers=6&right=BingHyb

On 15/04/2020 at 14:15, Athy said:

Indeed, Albion, whether perfidious or not, as a name for Britain is well known, but why only West Brom, Brighton and Burton chose to name their soccer teams after it remains a mystery!

I must leap to the defence of Peasedown Albion, who play in the Mid-Somerset League in the shadow of their mighty neighbours Peasedown Miners Welfare, who play in a league that covers the whole of Somerset. 

There a no mines anymore in Peasedown, and none of them were called Albion, so this information doesn't really help....

Just now, magpie patrick said:

I must leap to the defence of Peasedown Albion, who play in the Mid-Somerset League in the shadow of their mighty neighbours Peasedown Miners Welfare, who play in a league that covers the whole of Somerset. 

I just knew there would be one.

23 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Superb view. It’s always surprising how unbuilt-up the Black Country was compared to now when seemingly every piece of land has been developed in some way.

For orientation then I believe we have the Wednesbury Canal in the foreground with Ryders Green Junction not too far away off to the right and Albion Junction itself top centre left.

Is there an arm visible directly opposite the Gower branch at Albion Junction?

JP

Ah yes, now I see, thanks.  I was a bit confused, because Albion Junction appears to be the other side of the canal from the ironworks (and separated by the railway line.). 

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Yes, I see it now, thanks.  

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Oh, wait... It appears what I was calling Albion Junction is actually Gower Junction!  No wonder I was confused. 

(or rather, no wonder I confused myself :-