Caracruiser

Nic nak

Featured Posts

Hi Nik Nak,

Sadly the Caraboat /Caracruiser website has gone, but if your on FB the Retro Caravan club have a page for amphibious caravans and I noticed on there one chap had converted a Caracruiser to electric power and been on the Gloucester and Sharpness canal, and they have a fair bit of History on both.

your boat is looking good, having met a few at Trailboat Rallies with my Caraboat I can see your windows have been improved.

Keep in Touch.

So nice to see a boat like that looking in such good shape. May not be to everyone's cup of tea but the caracruiser and caraboats were innovative designs for their time with a huge amount of interior space for their LOA. I did see one knocking around on the Macc a few years ago but they are certainly few and far between these days.

7 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

So nice to see a boat like that looking in such good shape.

Yes it is. Fully refurbished in 2011 according to a sales blurb from Jones' Boatyard in St. Ives, which i suspect is where Nik got her from.

Saw one on the Chesterfield Canal around three years back, along with several other trail boats. An idea vessel for visiting this canal, both the connected and unconnected sections, without having to brave the tidal Trent. A very striking looking boat. A well looked after example like yours is a delight.

Jen

• 1 year later...

Hello Nik Nak, I was trying to find aome information on the caracruiser and stumbled upon your post, as it was my Granddad who designed and built them in Brundall Norfolk, and that is about all I know of them, that and the fact that my grandmother had to sew all the curtains for them. I'd love to own one now purely because it was my grandparents who have sadly both passed that designed and built them, if you're able to find any information on them then I'd love to hear it. Fred John Saunders was his name  he owned a transport museum in Bedford until he passed.

Regards

• 1 year later...

Hello my name is Stuart Cole I fitted out nik nak at my workshop. I’ve got a few pics you may like. Email me on delphwharf2021-at-icloud.com or give me a ring on 07739178334. I spent 8k on him and 10 weeks work. I kept him for 3 years or so befor selling him through Jones boatyard. It was admired every where we went. Hope it still looks nice. It really did have no expense spared

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
Email address obscured a bit by a moderator.