Split from: Crane at Willowbridge Marina

qaz

Featured Posts

willow bridge marina and presumable their sister site in Milton keyns hire in a crane driver named Ray, who they know does double booking . this means that a booked lift out date can be changed by them.....it cost me a couple hundred quid with lost work etc, was not no apology from the yard manager either

34 minutes ago, qaz said:

willow bridge marina and presumable their sister site in Milton keyns hire in a crane driver named Ray, who they know does double booking . this means that a booked lift out date can be changed by them.....it cost me a couple hundred quid with lost work etc, was not no apology from the yard manager either

To me it seems rather odd that although you have raised a question about where you can have your boat craned to work on it, you also seem to be going out of your way to target this company, (to the extent of searching out and reopening a 12 year old thread!).

You have already made it clear you would not use this company, so what do you hope to achieve by digging back in history.

As I asked you in your other thread, what is their sister site in MK called, and where is it located?  If you are trying to stop people using them, wouldn't that be worth explaining?

30 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

To me it seems rather odd that although you have raised a question about where you can have your boat craned to work on it, you also seem to be going out of your way to target this company, (to the extent of searching out and reopening a 12 year old thread!).

You have already made it clear you would not use this company, so what do you hope to achieve by digging back in history.

As I asked you in your other thread, what is their sister site in MK called, and where is it located?  If you are trying to stop people using them, wouldn't that be worth explaining?

am simply letting people know my experience , make up ur own mind about using them Alan. as a fellow boat owner in the community i think its a duty to provide accurate information that could save great disappointment and possible expense. i have illustrated what sort of disappointment can/did result. sorry, i didn't see ur other questions but if u dig round u will find the other marina owned by them , maybe by identifying the board of directors as overseeing both places

so the thread was 12 yrs old...am not targeting or trying to stop  anyone. u read it didn't you, that was the point of posting it.

yes i need a reliable place to get craned out since finding i cant rely on willow bridge

well

30 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I'm assuming he means MK Marina as the sister site, as it is owned by the same people - they don't (or didn't) have a crane, but do have a slipway, which I know is big enough for a 60' narrowboat.

yes i believe it was mk marina, good to know they cant double book a crane they dont have :) ...but its the attitude of being unreliable towards customers that pisses people off [and often for v/good reason as i illustrated] . un professional attitudes can run at any/every level in a business quite easily. what gets me is that they know the crane driver regularly double books and didn't tell me [4 months ago when i booked]

im getting tired of moving around the system so if anyone knows what a web search term would be for these non commercial n/boats clubs pls let me know, ive only the other day discovered they exist

thanks

Edited by qaz

10 minutes ago, qaz said:

...but its the attitude of being unreliable towards customers that pisses people off

This in my experience is not limited to Willow Bridge, in fact I'd say unreliability in boatyards is a widespread problem. 

There are lots of good yards that do what they say, when they promised to, but I'd say there are an equal number that are best not relied upon. 

Yards I have used that don't dick you about and I can personally recommend are Brinklow Boats, Ashwood Marina, Thames and Kennet Marina, Fenny Compton Marina, Braunston Marina. There are bound to be loads more that posters here are confident to recommend.

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This in my experience is not limited to Willow Bridge, in fact I'd say unreliability in boatyards is a widespread problem. 

There are lots of good yards that do what they say, when they promised to, but I'd say there are an equal number that are best not relied upon. 

Yards I have used that don't dick you about and I can personally recommend are Brinklow Boats, Ashwood Marina, Thames and Kennet Marina, Fenny Compton Marina, Braunston Marina. There are bound to be loads more that posters here are confident to recommend.

thanks for that, im checking out their location now, update: unfortunately there all further away from exeter where i am

Edited by qaz

17 minutes ago, qaz said:

thanks for that, im checking out their location now, update: unfortunately there all further away from exeter where i am

According to Google Maps (and my own experience), it's actually going to be quicker for you to get to Braunston or Brinklow than Milton Keynes.

18 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

According to Google Maps (and my own experience), it's actually going to be quicker for you to get to Braunston or Brinklow than Milton Keynes.

yes it is, i quite like the one to left of birmingham though . but am still looking for a non commercial  PLACE

1 hour ago, qaz said:

brilliant just what i needed, do u happen to know if you can get to saul junction by the severn from m/keyns, and if so how many days it might take

You seem to have a lot of questions that are totally unrelated to a very old thread about a very unfortunate tragedy where some poor guy lost his life. How about starting a thread to ask the questions you want answered instead of hijacking this one?

Perhaps an admin can split them off and put them in a more appropriate place?

Edited by cheshire~rose

1 hour ago, qaz said:

brilliant just what i needed, do u happen to know if you can get to saul junction by the severn from m/keyns, and if so how many days it might take

3 hours ago, qaz said:

<bemused.com>

Where is your boat, and what sort of boat is it?!

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

You seem to have a lot of questions that are totally unrelated to a very old thread about a very unfortunate tragedy where some poor guy lost his life. How about starting a thread to ask the questions you want answered instead of hijacking this one?

They have, which is why I am curious about the need to reopen the 12 yera old one.

I am reminded of a previous poster who clearly had an issue with Wllowbridge, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt that they are not one and the same person!

16 hours ago, qaz said:

am simply letting people know my experience , make up ur own mind about using them Alan. as a fellow boat owner in the community i think its a duty to provide accurate information that could save great disappointment and possible expense. i have illustrated what sort of disappointment can/did result. sorry, i didn't see ur other questions but if u dig round u will find the other marina owned by them , maybe by identifying the board of directors as overseeing both places

so the thread was 12 yrs old...am not targeting or trying to stop  anyone. u read it didn't you, that was the point of posting it.

yes i need a reliable place to get craned out since finding i cant rely on willow bridge

To be honest with you , since Geoffrey Connell sold the yard , it has been in a bit of a decline , Boats are allowed to remain on the Hard Standing ad infinitum as they are charged rent and crane lifts are haphazard to say the least . Geoffrey held a Ledger with agreed times and dates and it was run along the lines of an almost military operation with no deviation , if a Boater let him down then they were simply told dont come back . Depending on your Boats age perhaps you would be better with a dry dock facility ?  I think Alan and Cheshire Rose give you good advice , the Death of the Fitter dismantling a sold crane was absolutely nothing to do with the Owners of Willowbridge and your query would have been best made and perhaps answered in a new Thread . More pertinent perhaps is that you must have your own insurance for any crane lift at Willowbridge Marina , Boats have been dropped before and tucked away on the fence where you probably wouldn't notice is the obligatory disclaimer of any liability .

Edited by Parahandy

43 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

More pertinent perhaps is that you must have your own insurance for any crane lift at Willowbridge Marina

My insurance specifically states that the boat is not insured during work done by any commercial operation (lifting, road transport, professional skipper etc) and that the 'commercial operation' should be insured for work on your boat.

Presumably Willowbridge Public Liability insurance specifically excludes 'lifts', (is that legal*?) in which case you would need to arrange your own separate insurance cover for the duration of the work.

* Our Public Liability insurance covers anything the company does that results in a loss to a customer or member of the public, and, covers all associated legal fees.

Even SWMBO's Horse riding Public Liability insurance covers her in case the horse 'bumps' a car, or kicks a member of the public, or, escapes from its field and causes any sort of damage to a 3rd party

12 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Perhaps an admin can split them off and put them in a more appropriate place?

yes could admin pls move my thread to a better place ,thanks

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My insurance specifically states that the boat is not insured during work done by any commercial operation (lifting, road transport, professional skipper etc) and that the 'commercial operation' should be insured for work on your boat.

Presumably Willowbridge Public Liability insurance specifically excludes 'lifts', (is that legal*?) in which case you would need to arrange your own separate insurance cover for the duration of the work.

* Our Public Liability insurance covers anything the company does that results in a loss to a customer or member of the public, and, covers all associated legal fees.

Even SWMBO's Horse riding Public Liability insurance covers her in case the horse 'bumps' a car, or kicks a member of the public, or, escapes from its field and causes any sort of damage to a 3rd party

Edited by qaz

26 minutes ago, qaz said:

Post reported, to bring your request to the attention of Team Mod. 

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

great web site, thanks. [so many pubs, that'll eat into the minutes and maybe the days:)]

so....This is a trip of 139 miles, 5¾ furlongs and 121 locks from Milton Keynes Marina to Saul Junction.

This will take 65 hours and 34 minutes which is 9 days, 2 hours and 34 minutes

Edited by qaz

16 minutes ago, qaz said:

great web site, thanks. [so many pubs, that'll eat into the minutes and maybe the days:)]

so....This is a trip of 139 miles, 5¾ furlongs and 121 locks from Milton Keynes Marina to Saul Junction.

This will take 65 hours and 34 minutes which is 9 days, 2 hours and 34 minutes

<Numpty edit>

Beware, the canalplanner default settings are rather unrealistic these days. They assume a fit and healthy crew of 3, a fast boat and really going for it.

I'd say if you are single handing, inexperienced, needing to stop to cook, sleep, fill water tanks, empty the bog, go shopping, buy gas and coal, work wide locks alone, etc etc, a month for the trip would be more realistic.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

2 hours ago, Parahandy said:

To be honest with you , since Geoffrey Connell sold the yard , it has been in a bit of a decline , Boats are allowed to remain on the Hard Standing ad infinitum as they are charged rent and crane lifts are haphazard to say the least . Geoffrey held a Ledger with agreed times and dates and it was run along the lines of an almost military operation with no deviation , if a Boater let him down then they were simply told dont come back . Depending on your Boats age perhaps you would be better with a dry dock facility ?  I think Alan and Cheshire Rose give you good advice , the Death of the Fitter dismantling a sold crane was absolutely nothing to do with the Owners of Willowbridge and your query would have been best made and perhaps answered in a new Thread . More pertinent perhaps is that you must have your own insurance for any crane lift at Willowbridge Marina , Boats have been dropped before and tucked away on the fence where you probably wouldn't notice is the obligatory disclaimer of any liability .

interesting

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

<Numpty edit>

Beware, the canalplanner default settings are rather unrealistic these days. They assume a fit and healthy crew of 3, a fast boat and really going for it.

I'd say if you are single handing, inexperienced, needing to stop to cook, sleep, fill water tanks, empty the bog, go shopping, buy gas and coal, work wide locks alone, etc etc, a month for the trip would be more realistic.

a month!..,,.thats what i call a trip, no wonder boats stay put. i will be single handed, but it can't be any more difficult that my very first time on a n/boat which within the first hour had me entering [single handed]  an extremely long tunnel for about an hour

out of curiosity does anyone have any views on how the resale value on a n/boat might change by moving it from M/Keyns to Saul junction [near bristol]

Edited by qaz

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Other than the sign being up on the fence I couldn't say Alan . From my experience there are many uninsured or only periodically insured craft on the Canal so checking Policies in many instances may be a moot point .