Boating fix video

mykaskin

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, junior said:

Shame he has to be so rude. I'm suprised someone hasn't thumped him. If he spoke to me like that at a lock he'd be in the cut pretty quick.

I agree, no wonder people complain about arrogant working boaters.

• Greenie 3

44 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I agree. Unless set up, bit of an own goal. Bollocks to the rest of the series. I can't be arsed with that attitude. 9.24 on the video onwards if curious. 

Oh, at least watch the boat go into the lock and break things before you give up! (11:40 should be enough)

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Ianws said:

It is hard to see how you feel good posting these videos that don’t depict you in a great light. It might be misinterpreting what’s happening but it doesn’t look great.

It's not the poster doing the boating, just the filming.

Ir was really good to see a demonstration of  how the real experts do it, and even more interesting to see how they passed on their extensive knowledge to the hirers they came across! ? I wonder how much damage was done to the gates, but at least the brass was clean.

Howard

6 minutes ago, howardang said:

Ir was really good to see a demonstration of  how the real experts do it, 

Howard

We saw several years ago how the "experts " do it!  We were moored and he went past with a bow wave the Queen Mary would have been proud of and his reason? "I didn't think there was anyone on the boat". As someone said, I wonder how many other boaters view of old boats and their owners is clouded by the behaviour of  a few who behave like he does. 

haggis

Spoiling of a good video with ignorant, boorish behaviour, one of the "Heywood" brothers I presume.  If he carried on with that performance, passing through our area, he'd be exchanging the boiler suit for a wetsuit.

Wow reminder not to watch or act like this.....and why risk damaging lock gates like that....???? Just do what we all do and pop it into reverse and bring the boat to a halt almost before expecting a wooden post to take all that inertia....im sorry but wreckless and should be made to pay to fix it.....not unforeseeable damage!!

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

Wow reminder not to watch or act like this.....and why risk damaging lock gates like that....???? Just do what we all do and pop it into reverse and bring the boat to a halt almost before expecting a wooden post to take all that inertia....im sorry but wreckless and should be made to pay to fix it.....not unforeseeable damage!!

Agreed, though to be fair with a Bolinder the probability of a relatively inexperienced user reversing at the right moment without stalling is pretty low so the use of a rope to stop may actually be the safer option - albeit extremely slowly and paying it out gradually with a good angle to the rope rather than just looping it around the post and expecting the boat to stop instantly.

28 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Agreed, though to be fair with a Bolinder the probability of a relatively inexperienced user reversing at the right moment without stalling is pretty low so the use of a rope to stop may actually be the safer option - albeit extremely slowly and paying it out gradually with a good angle to the rope rather than just looping it around the post and expecting the boat to stop instantly.

Yes im no pro myself but seriously that method is abusive to the facilities and the gates as he uses them as a back stop....or front stop should i say ?

Its no hardship to drop it into neutral as the nose enters a single lock...

Now lets say his boat is 17 tonne at 3 miles an hour thats stopping inertia of what 51 tonnes there abouts if my speeding awareness course i did remembers me correctly lol  

To be fair, coming to a lock with a hire boat filling tank, tied with all 3 lines, and not even having opened a paddle until you arrived, might make you think that perhaps going in front might be a good bet, but there are ways to do it, and this wasnt the best.

23 minutes ago, matty40s said:

To be fair, coming to a lock with a hire boat filling tank, tied with all 3 lines, and not even having opened a paddle until you arrived, might make you think that perhaps going in front might be a good bet, but there are ways to do it, and this wasnt the best.

Yep, but a polite request would have worked with no bad feeling and a positive outcome. More difficult to find a justification for the  bad boat handling and the ill treatment of the gates etc.

It was just a demonstration of bad manners pure and simple.

Howard

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, howardang said:

Yep, but a polite request would have worked with no bad feeling and a positive outcome. More difficult to find a justification for the  bad boat handling and the ill treatment of the gates etc.

It was just a demonstration of bad manners pure and simple.

Howard

It was also clear in the film that the crew were pretty inexperienced and should be cut as much slack as possible in order that they learn the best ways of canal boating. 

• Greenie 3

I would be interested to hear from Mike why he posted this video because if he thought that it would be a pleasant watch it seems to have missed the mark! A shame, because it have enjoyed Mikes other videos.

Howard

• Greenie 1