Can a boat in a closed marina be declared off water?

Featured Posts

Our boat is moored in Cropredy Marina (so off the CRT managed waterway which is the South Oxford at that point)

Since March 24th the marina has been closed and boaters are not allowed to visit the marina or their boat. 

Given that the boat is off the system for the time being (and probably for another three or four weeks at least) can I declare it off water and get a refund from CRT?

Hopefully yes!

Cheers

Is it floating? If yes. there is your answer,

You were happy to pay the licence fee for the year, its not CRT's fault that we have a worldwide pandemic, why should they refund you anything?

We were locked in for most of a year due to a stoppage, never even considered asking for a refund.

Not being unpleasant but I do find your question unreasonable.

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Not being unpleasant but I do find your question unreasonable.

Asking it was reasonable, I think, especially as the question has elicited a swift, accurate and informative response.

Duke, as far as I'm aware, if you have your boat lifted out on to hard standing you don't need to license it. But Cropredy (our local marina, we moor in the village) does not offer hard-standing facilities. So it's shut up and pay up I'm afraid!

If your marina is subject to a Network Access Agreement and so requires your boat to be licenced, then No. If it's a non NAA marina, then potentially Yes, if the marina terms allow unlicensed boats. But this is no different to the normal, non coronavirus situation. 

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Boats on Proctors Park in Barrow upon soar are not required to be licenced as they are not on the main river. 

I think that's different though. Boaters in some marinas are permanently exempt from licence fees, as long as they don't go boating of course.  Presumably that is one of them??

I think the OP is asking about the current inability to move out of the marina.

27 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If your marina is subject to a Network Access Agreement and so requires your boat to be licenced, then No. If it's a non NAA marina, then potentially Yes,

The boat in in Cropredy Marina, as stated in the OP.

Cropredy was opened four or five years ago, so bound to be subject to a NAA.

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If your marina is subject to a Network Access Agreement and so requires your boat to be licenced, then No. If it's a non NAA marina, then potentially Yes, if the marina terms allow unlicensed boats. But this is no different to the normal, non coronavirus situation. 

Cropredy marina IS sibject to the NAA (it was only 'voluntary' some years ago)

CRT are providing the water that your boat is floating on, they need to maintain reservoirs, feeder channels and the canal itself to keep your boat floating.

and when the sun shines some water evaporates from your marina, but CRT replace it for you.

..................Dave

My boat is also at Cropredy Marina, so like you am unable to go to it until the lockdown is eased. There is a NAA and I believe it's £200 per berth per year. Normally a winter moorer, I've taken a full year contract to save paying monthly for who knows how long.  My choice, happy bunny?

I know of 2 marinas on the Coventry canal that are not CRT waters so no licence required to be in those.

37 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think that's different though. Boaters in some marinas are permanently exempt from licence fees, as long as they don't go boating of course.  Presumably that is one of them??

I think the OP is asking about the current inability to move out of the marina.

Oh ok,  must have mis interpreted his post. 

Just read it again and you are correct.

Edited by Rickent

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

Boats on Proctors Park in Barrow upon soar are not required to be licenced as they are not on the main river. 

They ARE on the main river, however, as this is not part of the managed navigation, do not have to have to register (river licence) unless going up Barrow Deep or through Pillings Lock.(the section between also).

Just now, matty40s said:

They ARE on the main river, however, as this is not part of the managed navigation, do not have to have to register (river licence) unless going up Barrow Deep or through Pillings Lock.(the section between also).

Yes, when I moored there I was probably the only boat with a licence.

I don't have  a river license for my boat at the moment as it is off water.  Some marinas are off water but most are not. Ordinarily I would have licensed the boat from  the beginning of April and would have been on board right now.

However I would say, even though it would not benefit me,  it would be reasonable for all boats that have a valid  license for April should get a month free . 

If May is also locked down, which seems probable, the same again should apply.

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I don't have  a river license for my boat at the moment as it is off water.  Some marinas are off water but most are not. Ordinarily I would have licensed the boat from  the beginning of April and would have been on board right now.

However I would say, even though it would not benefit me,  it would be reasonable for all boats that have a valid  license for April should get a month free . 

If May is also locked down, which seems probable, the same again should apply.

Why?

Those boaters will still expect everything to be full of water, locks working and vegetation cut back when they finally get to go out....or are you suggesting CRT abandon the system for a month of two?

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Why?

Those boaters will still expect everything to be full of water, locks working and vegetation cut back when they finally get to go out....or are you suggesting CRT abandon the system for a month of two?

Yes I'm sure those wanting a refund would be the first to shout about it if their boats were hanging on their mooring lines for lack of water. 

• Greenie 1