Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

And the rose hip stuff

I remember the malt stuff

Oh, yes, I remember them too! I LOVED the malt stuff. Having lots of brothers and a sister we used to line up in the morning for our share. I can't remember any of us not liking our daily doses. If we got cod liver oil capsules, I crunched them ?

Haggis

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If it was, the cars had UK number plates.

It is sadly filmed in London.

Similar scenes in Sheffield in Page Hall where there is a large BAME and Roma community.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/sheffield-estate-residents-still-arent-18052483

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh but that common sense reply doesnt fit with your racist attitude does it :rolleyes: You are of course correct. Asians for one live in far bigger family units, thats not racism its a fact that those of us in the know, actualy know. It benefits them as they get older as they do look after their own better than we do, we being the white majority in the country. The huge trouble I have found on this problem are that a hell of a lot of posters have no clue what racism is.

Not just Asians.

Liam is very good friends with a chap he went to school with. Their family is from Yemen. They have Great grandparents, grandparents, parents and children all living in the same large household.

In many ways it works a treat and perhaps our own society should look at how other societies look after their older members. The older generation are looked after very well at home and don't become a burden as is often seen in western culture. However in times like these the downside is that it is easier to catch and transmit a virus/disease amongst family members

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It is sadly filmed in London.

Similar scenes in Sheffield in Page Hall where there is a large BAME and Roma community.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/sheffield-estate-residents-still-arent-18052483

In the scheme of things, it seems that some people need to be infected in order to build up the herd immunity that is one goal of the strategy. If people failing to follow the law in volume are those that catch it in volume, perhaps it is no bad thing, as long as they don’t overwhelm the capacity of the NHS.

After all, they can’t possibly be unaware of the rules and guidelines.... can they?

I’m not saying it’s a good thing, nor am I saying I’m right - merely something to consider.

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Based on your logic, you would wonder how the Western world has survived without a whole variety of things, like our NHS for example.

But look at past life expectancy . . .

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

I don't believe it is a case of could be right, I'm fairly sure it is right.

They live different lifestyles to the typical UK family. They live in larger family units often with several generations per house hold increasing the risk of both catching and transmitting the disease. And though either ignorance or arrogance are choosing to ignore social distancing and lock down guidelines.

They are UK families . . . (but they may perhaps be disproportionately poor)

25 minutes ago, haggis said:

Oh, yes, I remember them too! I LOVED the malt stuff. Having lots of brothers and a sister we used to line up in the morning for our share. I can't remember any of us not liking our daily doses. If we got cod liver oil capsules, I crunched them ?

Haggis

and we got a teaspoonful of orange juice! The malt was enjoyed more.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If it was, the cars had UK number plates.

Well spotted! I had noticed that the shop signs were in English but hadn't noticed the number plates.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Nothing racist in my comment at all.

BAME communities in general live in larger family units, meet people outside of their family units on a more regular basis for religious purposes and congregate in market/large shops as part of their daily routine.

Of course there are some BAME people who have followed more western trends and live differently, the same goes for any ethnicity.

Apart from Worship, I assume that you are able to produce verifiable evidence  of that claim., rather than one anecdotal example.

Edited by David Schweizer

28 minutes ago, haggis said:

I LOVED the malt stuff.

Haggis

That has brought back a memory: when I was small, if I wasn't very well my Mum would shovel a dessertspoonful of something called Radio Malt into my mouth. It was in a large brown glass jar (the malt, not my mouth.) Did I enjoy it? Well, the phrase "brought back" at the beginning of this post may be a clue.

11 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

In the scheme of things, it seems that some people need to be infected in order to build up the herd immunity that is one goal of the strategy. If people failing to follow the law in volume are those that catch it in volume, perhaps it is no bad thing, as long as they don’t overwhelm the capacity of the NHS.

After all, they can’t possibly be unaware of the rules and guidelines.... can they?

I’m not saying it’s a good thing, nor am I saying I’m right - merely something to consider.

The subtlety in various statements concerns whether it is a strategy to create herd immunity. An early, badly worded, comment, attributed to Cummings (Who?) I think, was considered, rightly, to have said the wrong thing. Whatever Govt policy is used, more and more people will be infected over time, unless everyone is in total isolation (either staying at home or wearing a space suit). It is currently assumed (but scant direct evidence yet, I believe) that those who have been infected will acquire some level of immunity. In time this will reach a level that will cause the virus to die out through a lack of viable vectors. All that a Govt policy can do is to slow down the rate at which that effect happens in order to reduce the maximum number of severe cases at any one time to keep within NHS capacity, whilst researching a vaccine.

Another option is to look for better treatments so that fewer infections lead to the severe stage of the disease.

But creating herd immunity is not a specific Govt policy aim (and I think I believe them).

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

The subtlety in various statements concerns whether it is a strategy to create herd immunity. An early, badly worded, comment, attributed to Cummings (Who?) I think, was considered, rightly, to have said the wrong thing. Whatever Govt policy is used, more and more people will be infected over time, unless everyone is in total isolation (either staying at home or wearing a space suit). It is currently assumed (but scant direct evidence yet, I believe) that those who have been infected will acquire some level of immunity. In time this will reach a level that will cause the virus to die out through a lack of viable vectors. All that a Govt policy can do is to slow down the rate at which that effect happens in order to reduce the maximum number of severe cases at any one time to keep within NHS capacity, whilst researching a vaccine.

Another option is to look for better treatments so that fewer infections lead to the severe stage of the disease.

But creating herd immunity is not a specific Govt policy aim (and I think I believe them).

Unless I am missing something, the only way to beat this thing is by enough people becoming immune to it, and the only 2 ways that can happen is by either being infected, and surviving with antibodies, (herd immunity), or by being given a vaccine.

It seems to be well known that the NHS cant cure it, it can only try to keep you alive long enough for you to beat it yourself.

The medium term consequence of allowing the virus to spread, but delaying said spread such that the NHS can cope, is more and more people with immunity as time goes by and, eventually, when a vaccine is found, more and more people with immunity due to the vaccine.

I think Cummings dropped a major clanger when he said what he said. He effectively made it such that herd immunity is something that could no longer be discussed in the open, (significant that he has been completely absent from anything that could reach the public for some time).

However, whether you call it a strategy or not, it is one of 2 goals in the battle to beat the thing. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Something to the effect of "let 'em die, the ones that survive will have immunity"

Ah yes that, a career-ending comment I thought at the time, possibly now coming to pass given his disappearance. 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

That has brought back a memory: when I was small, if I wasn't very well my Mum would shovel a dessertspoonful of something called Radio Malt into my mouth. It was in a large brown glass jar (the malt, not my mouth.) Did I enjoy it? Well, the phrase "brought back" at the beginning of this post may be a clue.

Virol was I think the most common make of malt extract. Brown jar, red label.  Loved it.

3 hours ago, haggis said:

Haggis

Had to be single malt.

Cod liver oil capsules..... beware the burp.

11 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Virol was I think the most common make of malt extract. Brown jar, red label.  Loved it.

I got a jar in my kitchen. 

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

But look at past life expectancy . . .

They are UK families . . . (but they may perhaps be disproportionately poor)

I dont think that wealth is a factor.

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Apart from Worship, I assume that you are able to produce verifiable evidence  of that claim., rather than one anecdotal example.

I already have if you care to read my posts! 

4 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Here ya go

20200417_184841_resized.jpg

Virol, think my Dad used to have this as a child and he tried to make us kids have it too...... ?? he wasn't successful ?

Anyone interested in why cod liver oil etc. was given to kids and how rickets was discovered. Here's a fascinating paper on it (not everyone's cup of tea I know)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3899557/

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

It is scenes like this filmed yesterday why BAME communities are more susceptible to this virus:

Nothing to do with Vitamin D!!

All i can see is a reasonably orderly queue with most keeping a sensible distance, and assume that the small groups are family. The fact they are visiting an ethnic market shouldn't make any difference, similar scenes have been filmed at Tesco and the like, with much greater numbers-complete with the odd altercation. 

There has been a similar percentage of medical professionals from ethnic groups struck down by the virus, would you portray those as irresponsible 'others'?

• Greenie 1