Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We have somewhere between 10 & 20 ponies running 'wild' they are never shod and really only need to have their hooves trimmed about once a year just to keep them in shape.

With Hippo, a lot of roadwork and granite-chipped estate tracks he wears his hooves down and he'd soon be having problems if he wasn't shod.

He has had his shoes removed since SWMBO broke her wrist and is not riding, but he is on grass and his hooves have grown so needed trimming.

Buy a farriers rasp. Rasp every ten days.

Take the beast out for walking in hand, I would not like to leave a horse like that in a field at this time of year .

I used to go hunting when I broke my wrist, just put a boot on the thing and strapped it hard, I was a good bit younger of course.

All my horses were stronger than me, so I had to train them to  behave in company, I only ever had problems with horses which had been handled by other people.

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Fair enough

What are your thoughts on the matter ? Do you choose to follow the regulations and advice  or not ?

I do comply with the law. In the main I choose to follow the advice but I apply common sense and see the ultimate aim of the advice, not necessarily the letter of it. For example I may leave the house more than once a day because walking alone or with Jeff and not encountering other people, carries as close to zero risk as matters. If I lived in central London I’d be more likely to follow the guidance and only exercise once a day due to the density of other people and difficulty avoiding them.

I have observed that going to a supermarket, handling goods that might have recently been handled by others, is relatively high risk and so am very careful not to touch my face. I use one hand to pick stuff, generally keep the other in my pocket and for when I need to get means of payment out. As soon as I get back to the car I use alcohol hand gel before I touch any controls, and the first thing I do on getting home is to wash my hands.

If I followed the letter of the guidance and only exercised once a day, it would have no effect on my overall risk of contracting CV or transmitting to others, which is surely the aim of the guidance?

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I would not like to leave a horse like that in a field at this time of year .

He comes in at night, has his hard feed and a haynet, has his hard-feed breakfast and then goes out.

I say 'field' but is just about an 3/4 acre of our garden fenced off as a paddock - we can see him all the time from the house.

The Ponies are in our fields which are at the bottom of the garden and he 'talks to them' over the fence.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Look at the erratic behaviour of the disease: today,  Brentwood in Essex is the UK hot spot, I have family there, I can't think they are very happy about that particular accolade and even if they appear to be unaffected by symptoms,, this does not confer "herd immunity" on them.  Herd immunity sounds like great "plan" as long as you are prepared to kill off approximately 200,000 to achieve that goal, and use  "Bring out Your Dead" tactics. That idea was abandoned as being politically unacceptable.

Where I live there is very little disease, but lots of people self isolating "just in case", so how will "herd immunity" develop here? How long will it take?  Will I have to take the hit?

Surly the only other option is to stay self isolating until every one can be vaccinated and that will never happen as we know from measles  

As the dreaded lurgi encroaches on my part of the country, I will now only shop where only single shoppers are allowed in [couples are not following the mantra of "stay at home" Lidl is now my only refuge in this respect.

At Morisson's  last week, anything goes, lots of unused checkout staff hanging about when they could be employed cleaning trolleys and surfaces contaminated by bare hands. After all this time the message has not got through, the infection is transmitted on infected hands.

Tesco were just as bad, they had probably run out of paper towels at the "sanitising station", but they had stopped sanitising trolleys altogether, so first thing you encounter is an infected trolley!

I use a clean bag to collect my stuff, wipe anything which I am buying with a paper towel soaked in sanitiser spray, I keep my gloves on, change these regularly, wash hands after very trip, my outer jacket lives outside, in other words I try my damnest to make sure I don't bring infection inside. 

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

He comes in at night, has his hard feed and a haynet, has his hard-feed breakfast and then goes out.

I say 'field' but is just about an 3/4 acre of our garden fenced off as a paddock - we can see him all the time from the house.

The Ponies are in our fields which are at the bottom of the garden and he 'talks to them' over the fence.

Hard feed! x 2!

I used to bring my pony type in from field for six hours in summer with a peck of old hay, to keep him slim, but stable owner used fill his haynet with haylage, which rather defeated the object. 

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

As the dreaded lurgi encroaches on my part of the country, I will now only shop where only single shoppers are allowed in [couples are not following the mantra of "stay at home" Lidl is now my only refuge in this respect.

At Morisson's  last week, anything goes, lots of unused checkout staff hanging about when they could be employed cleaning trolleys and surfaces contaminated by bare hands. After all this time the message has not got through, the infection is transmitted on infected hands.

Tesco were just as bad, they had probably run out of paper towels at the "sanitising station", but they had stopped sanitising trolleys altogether, so first thing you encounter is an infected trolley!

I use a clean bag to collect my stuff, wipe anything which I am buying with a paper towel soaked in sanitiser spray, I keep my gloves on, change these regularly, wash hands after very trip, my outer jacket lives outside, in other words I try my damnest to make sure I don't bring infection inside. 

Yes shops still don’t quite “get it”. There is a new M&S food hall near us, I went there, collected a trolley from the store just outside the door. On entering a nice lady asked me if I’d like her to sanitise the trolley handle. Seemed a bit pointless as was already holding the handle!

In sainsburys yesterday at self checkout, I noticed the scanner wasn’t beeping at all, even though it was scanning (confusing). I beckoned over the assistant to mention it. She walked right up to me and stood a foot away. She looked a bit surprised when I immediately backed away from her.

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I used to bring my pony type in from field for six hours in summer with a peck of hay, to keep him slim, but stable owner used fill his haynet, which rather defeated the object. 

Our ponies (Welsh Mountain Section A's) never come in. I take a half-ton 'big-bale' of hay out with the spikes on the digger and drop it into the feed ring, this last Winter we had 20 ponies and they were getting thru a bale every 4-days 'ad-lib'.

Now the grass is growing its a case of managing potential laminitis. 

We save about 20 acres for cropping the hay and get between 60 and 90 bales depending on how much fertiliser we use, not putting any fertiliser on this year as we have about a years 'worth' of hay still in the barn.

11 hours ago, peterboat said:

Yes they will be happy if herd immunity is achieved and the daily toll is below say 500

Remember that the estimate for herd immunity to this virus (it varies from one to another) is over 80%. That means that almost all of us have to have been infected and have sufficient antibody reaction before herd immunity is achieved. If the curve is flattened too much then by the time the later infected folk get it then the immunity of the first may have worn off. In general it is reported that vaccine induced immunity lasts longer than infected induced so hopefully once (if?) it is available, we will not need repeat doses every few weeks!

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

Sounds like you were among those travelling about .

Yes I was. I have found in life its impossible to go shopping without going shopping. Whilst I have bought some stuff on line I find that as there is no other way than going for food thats what I do. There are virtualy no click and collect or deliveries available and if there were I certainly wouldnt use them, they are for people who need them not for myself.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I used to shoe my horses, but then I got a pony type, fed extra vitamins and minerals, managed his exercise regime, and he was unshod for two years till sold to some silly BHS person who decided he "needed shoes". I trimmed them by roadwork, it's perfectly simple for the majority of leisure horses if the owner knows what they are doing, a farrier can advise, remove shoes, trim shape lightly much safer on the roads, good grip, and in the field, no half worn shoes, clenches raised.

I wasted a lot of money on shoeing, thinking they needed shod when they had perfectly natural hard hoof. The most important thing is to have a good farrier inspect them from weaning [or even before] if you want to make sure they will be sound for the next twenty years.

What do you think of Alans Dietary regime  for his horse , it looks extremely well fed and I wonder if he has been guilty perhaps of Panic Buying ?? Coming from Glasgow , when a Horse looked this plump it often went missing .

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our ponies (Welsh Mountain Section A's) never come in. I take a half-ton 'big-bale' of hay out with the spikes on the digger and drop it into the feed ring, this last Winter we had 20 ponies and they were getting thru a bale every 4-days 'ad-lib'.

Now the grass is growing its a case of managing potential laminitis. 

We save about 20 acres for cropping the hay and get between 60 and 90 bales depending on how much fertiliser we use, not putting any fertiliser on this year as we have about a years 'worth' of hay still in the barn.

Oh its a Pony ?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I do comply with the law. In the main I choose to follow the advice but I apply common sense and see the ultimate aim of the advice, not necessarily the letter of it. For example I may leave the house more than once a day because walking alone or with Jeff and not encountering other people, carries as close to zero risk as matters. If I lived in central London I’d be more likely to follow the guidance and only exercise once a day due to the density of other people and difficulty avoiding them.

I have observed that going to a supermarket, handling goods that might have recently been handled by others, is relatively high risk and so am very careful not to touch my face. I use one hand to pick stuff, generally keep the other in my pocket and for when I need to get means of payment out. As soon as I get back to the car I use alcohol hand gel before I touch any controls, and the first thing I do on getting home is to wash my hands.

If I followed the letter of the guidance and only exercised once a day, it would have no effect on my overall risk of contracting CV or transmitting to others, which is surely the aim of the guidance?

Pretty much reflects my thoughts and actions and leads to a very low possibility of catching or passing on the virus. Others are slaves to the letter of the law/ advice. 'Rules is rules'. 

46 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Surly the only other option is to stay self isolating until every one can be vaccinated and that will never happen as we know from measles  

Smallpox eliminated, worldwide.

But no one is going to tolerate even this pseudo lockdown for two years, 

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

What do you think of Alans Dietary regime  for his horse , it looks extremely well fed and I wonder if he has been guilty perhaps of Panic Buying ?? Coming from Glasgow , when a Horse looked this plump it often went missing .

Oh its a Pony ?

No he's anything but a Pony - it is a 15HH Normandy Cob, bred to be a 'medium heavyweight', as a 'lighter' version of the Shire or Suffolk Punch (for hauling farm equipment).

He has actually lost weight since we had him - has was a bit 'chubby' but now his bones are just 'comfortably covered'

Short legs, big barrel and powerful chest - hence the name 'Hippofatimus'

The ponies are tiny by comparison - all under 12HH as they must be to be registered as Section A

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Smallpox eliminated, worldwide.

But no one is going to tolerate even this pseudo lockdown for two years, 

Not until they developed a vaccine. Until then if you dont want to catch it then you mustn't come into contact with it.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

What is "pseudo" about it? It feels pretty real to me.

That's 'cos you are  probably  following the rules/  guidelines/ whatever.

But  in case you have not noticed we are led by someone who went around shaking the hands of people who were infected with a killer disease, and therefore has no understanding of how this disease is transmitted.

He "demonstrates" how not to wash your hands, touching the hospital taps with his hands, thus transferring disease to the next person who does the same. 

The message is not clear ............. individuals think they will get "herd immunity", and everything will be fine.

Six weeks down the line, very few people understand .............. the disease is transmitted by infected hands leaving lumps of infection on any surface, ready to be transmitted to the next person who touches it.

If you lived in Wuhan or North Korea, you just would not have ventured out  without good cause. I believe in France you have to carry  paper with you, a statement of what you are doing and this cannot  then be "fabricated" if challenged.

Down here "key workers" were behaving as they always did, nothing to do with commuting or working, just abusing their newly acquired status, or just plain ignoring the rules/guidelines etc.

Some peoples are compliant, disciplined, intelligent, sensible but  in this year [2020] this is not the British way.  

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No he's anything but a Pony - it is a 15HH Normandy Cob, bred to be a 'medium heavyweight', as a 'lighter' version of the Shire or Suffolk Punch (for hauling farm equipment).

He has actually lost weight since we had him - has was a bit 'chubby' but now his bones are just 'comfortably covered'

Short legs, big barrel and powerful chest - hence the name 'Hippofatimus'

The ponies are tiny by comparison - all under 12HH as they must be to be registered as Section A

It looks a lovely Animal Alan

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That's 'cos you are  probably  following the rules/  guidelines/ whatever.

But  in case you have not noticed we are led by someone who went around shaking the hands of people who were infected with a killer disease, and therefore has no understanding of how this disease is transmitted.

He "demonstrates" how not to wash your hands, touching the hospital taps with his hands, thus transferring disease to the next person who does the same. 

The message is not clear ............. individuals think they will get "herd immunity", and everything will be fine.

Six weeks down the line, very few people understand .............. the disease is transmitted by infected hands leaving lumps of infection on any surface, ready to be transmitted to the next person who touches it.

If you lived in Wuhan or North Korea, you just would not have ventured out  without good cause. I believe in France you have to carry  paper with you, a statement of what you are doing and this cannot  then be "fabricated" if challenged.

Down here "key workers" were behaving as they always did, nothing to do with commuting or working, just abusing their newly acquired status, or just plain ignoring the rules/guidelines etc.

Some peoples are compliant, disciplined, intelligent, sensible but  in this year [2020] this is not the British way.  

You make some good points, but you do veer towards cynicism!

I suggest that Mr. Johnson now understands full well how the virus can be transmitted, but the hand-shaking was very early in the corona saga, when its ramifications were not yet known.

How do you wash your hands without turning a tap on? He probably did not have access to the foamy gel stuff at that moment.

I'd say that the vast majority of British people are acting carefully and are observing the safety rules and guidelines. One is always going to get a few bolshies who "know better", but they are surely a small minority.

Do you have something against key workers? They do useful and/or important work. Mrs. Athy is one. It is now 12 days since she had real-life contact with anyone except me. I can claim only eleven days, as I went next door, to the butcher's, yesterday.

...and finally: judging by what I have seen around here, your closing statement is very wide of the mark. 

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Remember that the estimate for herd immunity to this virus (it varies from one to another) is over 80%. That means that almost all of us have to have been infected and have sufficient antibody reaction before herd immunity is achieved. If the curve is flattened too much then by the time the later infected folk get it then the immunity of the first may have worn off. In general it is reported that vaccine induced immunity lasts longer than infected induced so hopefully once (if?) it is available, we will not need repeat doses every few weeks!

Stated on the news this morning that the WHO said that there was no evidence yet that having covid 19 and recovering,gave immunity against a further dose.

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Stated on the news this morning that the WHO said that there was no evidence yet that having covid 19 and recovering,gave immunity against a further dose.

They have been saying that since our Government said that they were intending to go for "herd immunity".

We only listen to the 'scientific advice' that says what the Government wants it to say.

• Greenie 1