Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

ume. It would be good if people read papers with the opposite view to theirs; give them a better understanding about the motivations behind views that differ to theirs. I don't think many people do that. 

:D

I agree, most people aren't daft enough to choose to spend their money on something they don't like.

"What shall I have for dinner today? Oh look, there's some corned beef. I can't stand corned beef. I'll buy that, then".

I don't read any newspapers.

Perhaps you should try a selection of them.

The evidence is of the subtle variety, gleaned from the reading of many posts. It's the 'tone'...

That's not evidence, it is opinion.

An update on shopping for those still in hiding. ive been to one of those supermarket places today. A week and more ago there were queues the whole way round the car park. However it appears the muppets have now fully stocked their nuclear fallout bunkers and the other muppets have finaly realised there are no and never were any shortages other than those caused by muppet shopping. So no queues whatsoever. Completely safe with oodles of room between peeps and everything on the shelves ?

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

An update on shopping for those still in hiding. ive been to one of those supermarket places today. A week and more ago there were queues the whole way round the car park. However it appears the muppets have now fully stocked their nuclear fallout bunkers and the other muppets have finaly realised there are no and never were any shortages other than those caused by muppet shopping. So no queues whatsoever. Completely safe with oodles of room between peeps and everything on the shelves ?

I did a 'click and collect' at ASDA yesterday and the queue to get in the store was massive, it snaked around the car park. I admit I did feel a bit smug driving up, tossing my shopping in the boot and driving off again. Took all of ten minutes max.

Still no flour to be had though. My wife is an avid baker in 'normal' times so is annoyed all the muppets are buying it up, particularly as they probably won't have a clue what the heck to do with it. We ended up getting some from the local butchers of all places.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I did a 'click and collect' at ASDA yesterday and the queue to get in the store was massive, it snaked around the car park. I admit I did feel a bit smug driving up, tossing my shopping in the boot and driving off again. Took all of ten minutes max.

Still no flour to be had though. My wife is an avid baker in 'normal' times so is annoyed all the muppets are buying it up, particularly as they probably won't have a clue what the heck to do with it. We ended up getting some from the local butchers of all places.

Asda don't seem to have a flour of pasta shortage for 'deliveries'.

SWMBO baked a giant Hot-Cross Bun (in the bread maker) and yesterday made a lemon drizzle cake.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

SWMBO baked a giant Hot-Cross Bun (in the bread maker) and yesterday made a lemon drizzle cake.

Twas a big Tesco I went today to top up with stuff not at the small shops. Its weird as usualy its been rammed and queuues round the car park. It seems the penny is finaly dropping for many.

15 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I am just about keeping on top of my flour needs, although the brown flour I got recently is not my first choice, yeast on the other hand, not for love  nr money, if it wasn't for the fact I rediscovered a pack I lost it would be desperate.

46 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Hmmm... so if something is self-evident you would argue that it’s not, and is in fact opinion?

I find that not much is self-evident. (The more the involvement of humans the less is self evident)

A very small time back I took it as pretty much self evident that we would be back boating after a fortnight break back home.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Perhaps you should try a selection of them.

I used to read the Independent a fair bit, and when that stopped the Guardian. These being the papers of choice of my elderly father. The latter was always a hoot for the angry rantings of Owen Jones. I rarely bother with established news sources these days. They are either biased or very slack in their reporting, as if a child was doing the journalism, rather than an apparently qualified adult skilled in their art. The BBC excel in this latter regard. Couple of examples of late:

"People may go outside to exercise; walking, running or cycling" Erm no. Walking, running and cycling were given as examples of exercises by the government, it was not a definitive list. Who cares? well, if someone was carrying out another form of exercise this would be illegal according to the BBC, and perhaps others who take the world of the BBC as being gospel. It's not illegal, of course.

And today: "key workers being ripped off at the petrol pumps" If the belief is that petrol prices are higher than they should be this applies to all buyers of petrol. Key workers are not being charged a higher price than non-key workers or indeed, the unemployed, the elderly, or the bloke who wants some for his chainsaw. So to include 'key worker' in the headline was misleading at best or at worst, a cynical ploy to promote the interests of one group above those of others. Or perhaps their juvenile journalists/ editors are so consumed by the desire to sensationalise everything that they are unable to report honest facts any more, preferring to put emotive angles on everything.  

Edited by The Welsh Cruiser

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

However, right now in our area they do have a severe shortage of deliveries. First available was the evening of Sunday 3rd May when I checked this morning. Same deal with click + collect. I gave up and did a trip to our local Co-op who had most of what I wanted except flour. 

18 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The BBC excel in this latter regard. Couple of examples of late:

"People may go outside to exercise; walking, running or cycling" Erm no. Walking, running and cycling were given as examples of exercises by the government, it was not a definitive list

Erm yes. The BBC statement, if you have quoted it accurately, does not claim to offer an exhaustive list.  We know, for example, that canoeing is an acceptable form of exercise, and there are doubtless others, but they do not need to list 57 varieties of exercise to make their point.

I must agree, though, that the BBC usually does excel. We are very lucky to have such a good-quality, independent national broadcasting service.

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

However, right now in our area they do have a severe shortage of deliveries. First available was the evening of Sunday 3rd May when I checked this morning. Same deal with click + collect. I gave up and did a trip to our local Co-op who had most of what I wanted except flour. 

Asda release their delivery slots at 10:00pm and they are generally all gone by 10:30

They are currently working about 10 days ahead but once you have a slot, you can start to get a delivery whenever you want (ahead of that)

You could book a slot one a day, every day, or one a week.

We have so far had one a week (the longest gap was 10 days) the shortest (to try and get back to a week) was 5 days.

Had a delivery yesterday and out next one is 2nd May (my choice), I'll probably go back on in a day or two and book a slot for the 9th

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Erm yes. The BBC statement, if you have quoted it accurately, does not claim to offer an exhaustive list.  We know, for example, that canoeing is an acceptable form of exercise, and there are doubtless others, but they do not need to list 57 varieties of exercise to make their point.

I must agree, though, that the BBC usually does excel. We are very lucky to have such a good-quality, independent national broadcasting service.

The BBC statement I read; an exact quote: "Going outside to exercise is allowed; walking, running or cycling." This implies that other forms of exercise are not permitted. Incorrect, slack. It matters, because some reading this would accuse someone who was, say, skateboarding, that they are behaving outside the rules. They aren't of course, skateboarding is permissible, as is any other exercise as long as social distancing is observed, and the participant doesn't travel a great distance in order to carry out their exercise. 

3 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The BBC statement I read; an exact quote: "Going outside to exercise is allowed; walking, running or cycling." This implies that other forms of exercise are not permitted

No, it does not, as I have already explained.

Edited by Athy

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, it does not, as I have already explained.

The addition of 'for example' would have been concise, and made things clear for everyone. It's clear that there has been confusion over this in the population. The fact that some on here thought canoeing/ kayaking was prohibited by law is a fine example of this. 

44 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Asda release their delivery slots at 10:00pm and they are generally all gone by 10:30

They are currently working about 10 days ahead but once you have a slot, you can start to get a delivery whenever you want (ahead of that)

You could book a slot one a day, every day, or one a week.

We have so far had one a week (the longest gap was 10 days) the shortest (to try and get back to a week) was 5 days.

Had a delivery yesterday and out next one is 2nd May (my choice), I'll probably go back on in a day or two and book a slot for the 9th

We dropped lucky and found a slot just 2 days away last week (maybe I looked just after 10pm? Can’t remember) but we’re now okay for a while (with the singular exception of flour). Next time I want to shop I’ll take a look just after 10pm; thanks for the advice :)

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

They have all driven 80 miles for a 100 yard walk. Note now officially locked down have come back to statute distances, though car and bikes still in kms. Car so complicated cant work out how to get it out of kms.

No photo description available.

Anyone else quietly optimistic that boating (with just members of your household) will be included in the outdoor activities that look to be amongst the first things that might be permitted when lockdown is eased? Other countries in the EU have permitted travel to second homes as part of lockdown easements.

9 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

No photo description available.

Anyone else quietly optimistic that boating (with just members of your household) will be included in the outdoor activities that look to be amongst the first things that might be permitted when lockdown is eased? Other countries in the EU have permitted travel to second homes as part of lockdown easements.

Pretty much guaranteed I would think Dave .