Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

It is absolutely true.

These dogs can detect when their owner is about to have an epileptic fit, they can alert a diabetic when their sugar is up or down. I also believe they can detect certain cancers.

They are even better than that. I had a bloke come on the princess with his dog once and asked him what it did. It detected when he was going to have a fit and was trained to put its paw on his leg to alert him, this gave him enough notice to get into a safe situation and notify anyone, amazing innitt. However he expanded on this and told me that for instance whilst on the boat if anyone on the deck he was on ( about 100 seated )  and they were about to fit it would walk over to them and stare at them and give one bark to alert of the situation!!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

5 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

To put it in perspective, and possibly add to your worries, the bad outcome of Covid 19 is no different to the bad outcome of "normal influenza".

On average, according to PHE, 17,000 people a year have died from "normal influenza", since 2014.

The estimate of the number of deaths using the Cummings strategy was in excess of 500,000 - a tad worse, I think.

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Correct. There was a top bod on telly last week from cambridge uni saying that we need to take this illness in perspective and so far the figures show that about the same amount of people will die this winter from flu as will this new virus. Now I understand that thats Extra on top of our normal yearly flue but still its not qoing to be like survivors programme of 1975 as the vast majority will come through this pandemicwhich of course is no comfort to berieved families. To further put it into context its known now that for every 1 million smokers about 500 thousand of them will die from smoking related disease, I know its their choice but the odds of beating covid are very good.

But don't forget that we have a vaccine programme for flu.

• Greenie 1

On 13/04/2020 at 13:28, David Mack said:

Same here in rural West Yorkshire. I can walk the dog along footpaths and through the National Trust Hardcastle Crags. Normally it would be packed on an Easter weekend, this year hardly anybody, and the few I meet are mostly locals walking the dog or going for a run, all of us socially distancing when we pass without anything being said about it.

Aye. We too do that sort of unspoken slight body swerve as we pass. We also politely pull our dogs back from greeting each other, as that normally ends up being the start of an idle chat, with the dogs 'investigating' each other.

5 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

To put it in perspective, and possibly add to your worries, the bad outcome of Covid 19 is no different to the bad outcome of "normal influenza".

On average, according to PHE, 17,000 people a year have died from "normal influenza", since 2014.

Put into even greater perspective, nearly half a million people died in England in 2019 (source Office for National Statistics)

• Unimpressed 1

6 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Put into even greater perspective, nearly half a million people died in England in 2019 (source Office for National Statistics)

So another half a million or so turning up in our hospitals dying of ARDS will hardly be noticed, is that what you're saying?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Clarify.
  • Greenie 1

Dominic Cummings is back. He was taking a sabbatical while contaminated with Covid-19.

Also the virus won't die out. It will lurk in the background. Measles and Smallpox are both viruses that won't go away. They don't kill many people because of the vaccines that are available to us in the UK but are still out there particularly in the developing world. Until we have a vaccine we're stuffed economically. I can't see us being locked down until deaths get below say 100 a day (plucked out of the air). The government doesn't have a tight enough grip to get us there.

Unpalatable as it was I think Dominic Cummings had a valid point. 

53 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So another half a million or so turning up in our hospitals dying of ARDS will hardly be noticed, is that what you're saying?

Did I suggest that? To quote you " Please stop behaving like a Pillock"

Edited by David Schweizer

19 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Dominic Cummings is back. He was taking a sabbatical while contaminated with Covid-19.

No, he had a point, a nasty point, a cruel point, a non- ethical point, a non feeling point, ......

...someone who should be ejected from the echelons of power although we all know it wont happen.

• Greenie 3

So can someone provide a link to where it was confirmed that Cummings definately promoted this?

Not 'rumours' or  'a un-named senior source".

Gov have said this statement re Cummings is highly defamatory. So they must be convinced this cannot be proven. Even if it did happen.

I await the evidence.

Edited by mark99

59 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. See Post 329.

Don't be a pillock.

Yes. That is the post I quoted, You should have gone to specsavers.?

Edited by David Schweizer

13 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes. That is the post I quoted, You should have gone to specsavers.?

Come on guys the lock down is getting to all of us but the petty bickering is ridiculous, lets get back to reasonable posts and sensible debate.

We really don't want to have to keep pruning threads.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

No, he had a point, a nasty point, a cruel point, a non- ethical point, a non feeling point, ......

...someone who should be ejected from the echelons of power although we all know it wont happen.

I think the term is collateral damage. 

It is still the case that the young are going to have to pick up the tab for us wrinklies being able to survive a few more years 

1 minute ago, buccaneer66 said:

Come on guys the lock down is getting to all of us but the petty bickering is ridiculous, lets get back to reasonable posts and sensible debate.

We really don't want to have to keep pruning threads.

Perhaps you should have chastised Mike when he called me a pillock a few days ago, when I incidentally did not respond. My comment was merely a joke which Mike would  (and did) understand.

Just now, David Schweizer said:

Perhaps you should have chastised Mike when he called me a pillock a few days ago, when I incidentally did not respond. My comment was merely a joke which Mike would  (and did) understand.

That wasn't reported as the post I quoted was.

Everyone needs to calm down and think about what they are posting, don't press the button in anger.

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Also the virus won't die out. It will lurk in the background. Measles and Smallpox are both viruses that won't go away. They don't kill many people because of the vaccines that are available to us in the UK but are still out there particularly in the developing world. Until we have a vaccine we're stuffed economically. I can't see us being locked down until deaths get below say 100 a day (plucked out of the air). The government doesn't have a tight enough grip to get us there.

Smallpox is not a good example, it's been eradicated.

19 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I think the term is collateral damage. 

It is still the case that the young are going to have to pick up the tab for us wrinklies being able to survive a few more years 

Like any gov they would have discussed a range of options and scenarios. The only fact we know is that faced with expert opinion re consequences the gov decided herd immunity was a terrible idea as witnessed by the lock down.

Evident facts like "what is happening all around  them"  does not seem to stop those trying to validate or promote  their devil or bogeyman beliefs.

Herd immunity is a terrible concept in this context. I only know this because experts contended  later and displayed how a 2.6R rate would be a disaster with no vaccine. Before that it must have been at least a mitigation  discussion point.

Edited by mark99

14 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Billy Bunter about to be chastised by Mr Quelch.

Bunter.jpg