Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Yes, I know Trump is a nutter but having a go at him at present doesnt hold water. the US are doing far better than we are. Stating they have the biggest number of deaths is bunkum when the figures are looked at.

Italy and America were the first to block flights from China. This virus doesn't appear to make much sense, thank goodness there're some awesomely clever people worrying about such things. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The NHS advises everyone to consider taking a vitamin D supplement during winter.

From nhs.gov.uk:

Advice for adults and children over 5 years old

During the autumn and winter, you need to get vitamin D from your diet because the sun isn't strong enough for the body to make vitamin D.

But since it's difficult for people to get enough vitamin D from food alone, everyone (including pregnant and breastfeeding women) should consider taking a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of vitamin D during the autumn and winter.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

There is reams of stuff on the net by qualified people suggesting  vitamin D is something take great care you get enough of, starting with the NHS above and cascading down from there. 

Vitamin D however is in many foods. Basic foods such as eggs and fish have vitamin D. My dietician has told me to take no supplements as I have a varied diet covering a comprehensive range of foods. When she first spoke to me and asked me what I ate I apologised after telling her I often ate a full English breakfast or bacon and egg sandwich and she said it was fine. I also eat a lot of veg, mainly with dinner each night. some fruit and some fish. Pottasium is what I have a problem with so I have to watch how much of that I eat and how I prepare some foods, ie boiling spuds rather than steaming them to remove much of the pottasium. 

33 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The NHS advises everyone to consider taking a vitamin D supplement during winter.

From nhs.gov.uk:

Advice for adults and children over 5 years old

During the autumn and winter, you need to get vitamin D from your diet because the sun isn't strong enough for the body to make vitamin D.

But since it's difficult for people to get enough vitamin D from food alone, everyone (including pregnant and breastfeeding women) should consider taking a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of vitamin D during the autumn and winter.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

There is reams of stuff on the net by qualified people suggesting  vitamin D is something take great care you get enough of, starting with the NHS above and cascading down from there. 

A friend sent me this BMJ article  - it's too technical for a non-doctor to understand but I'm picking up that Vit D (if you've got no issues with it) is worth effort.

You must do your own research, and take professional advice. 

........... Targeting the unbalanced RAS with vitamin D supplementation in SARS-CoV-2 infection may be an approach with excellent cost and benefit ratio, to fight the widening of COVID-19, in the name of our professional principle, the 'primum nil nocere' [first do no harm].

Clinicians standing in front of SARS-CoV-2 positive patients may easily corroborate the herein assumed correlation between low vitamin D level and worse COVID-19 disease outcome, and so assure us in applying this novel support for COVID-19 patients. If fewer COVID-19 patients need to go on ventilation, the known bottleneck of this pandemic, we are already starting to win this battle, and can avoid the higher mortality rates that we are facing.

The outlined hypothesis that SARS-CoV-2 can unbalance a high running RAS in the lung via ACE2 downregulation, which is followed by inflammation, and hypoxia induced renin release, needs to be further investigated for the precise understanding of the involved molecular mechanisms. Likewise we should investigate the hypothesized mechanism by which the due supplementation of vitamin D could allow balancing of a high running RAS in COVID-19 patients.

These certainly await for pioneering researchers, but it should not prevent us from saving lives, and humankind from COVID-19.

Sincerely yours,

Attila R Garami, M.D., Ph.D.

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m810/rr-24

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Agreed. But that’s not quite the same as saying “If you are a man who catches COVID-19 you are twice as likely to die than you would be if you were a woman.”  And that’s the subject that was being discussed. 

Yes, that is exactly the point under discussion. 

Its obvious it's a serious version of man flu and all us men know its lethal! ?

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That doesn't affect the percentage of males dying compared to the percentage of females dying, once they've caught it. Which was the point being made IIRC.

Not in itself, but i have heard many experts saying that density of exposure is a factor affecting the outcome. If you place yourself in an environment where the virus is present, the amount of exposure and time spent acquiring it may have a dramatic effect on the outcome of the illness. 

16 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

A friend sent me this BMJ article  - it's too technical for a non-doctor to understand but I'm picking up that Vit D (if you've got no issues with it) is worth effort.

You must do your own research, and take professional advice. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m810/rr-24

One problem with vitamin D is that it takes a long period of time to build up to a useful level once deficient. Not to suggest that it is not worth taking but it would offer little defence in the immediate. 

24 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Would I be right in thinking that if you ingest too much vitamin D it just gets excreted? If I am, then a person whose vitamin D level was already acceptable would, by taking supplements, literally be pissing money away.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-side-effects#1

What is vitamin D toxicity, and should I worry about it since I take supplements?
Answer From Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
Vitamin D toxicity, also called hypervitaminosis D, is a rare but potentially serious condition that occurs when you have excessive amounts of vitamin D in your body.

Vitamin D toxicity is usually caused by megadoses of vitamin D supplements — not by diet or sun exposure. That's because your body regulates the amount of vitamin D produced by sun exposure, and even fortified foods don't contain large amounts of vitamin D.

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Symptoms might progress to bone pain and kidney problems, such as the formation of calcium stones.

Treatment includes stopping vitamin D intake and restricting dietary calcium. Your doctor might also prescribe intravenous fluids and medications, such as corticosteroids or bisphosphonates.

Taking 60,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day. Doses higher than the RDA are sometimes used to treat medical problems such as vitamin D deficiency, but these are given only under the care of a doctor for a specified time frame. Blood levels should be monitored while someone is taking high doses of vitamin D.

As always, talk to your doctor before taking vitamin and mineral supplements.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Would I be right in thinking that if you ingest too much vitamin D it just gets excreted? If I am, then a person whose vitamin D level was already acceptable would, by taking supplements, literally be pissing money away.

Yes. Proper diet and its not needed.

51 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes, my link tells you that. Did you actually read it?

It them goes on to say... Well, you read it. 

I dont need to read it. I dont need any supplements, my NHS dietician says I dont.

18 minutes ago, Loddon said:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-side-effects#1

What is vitamin D toxicity, and should I worry about it since I take supplements?
Answer From Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
Vitamin D toxicity, also called hypervitaminosis D, is a rare but potentially serious condition that occurs when you have excessive amounts of vitamin D in your body.

Vitamin D toxicity is usually caused by megadoses of vitamin D supplements — not by diet or sun exposure. That's because your body regulates the amount of vitamin D produced by sun exposure, and even fortified foods don't contain large amounts of vitamin D.

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Symptoms might progress to bone pain and kidney problems, such as the formation of calcium stones.

Treatment includes stopping vitamin D intake and restricting dietary calcium. Your doctor might also prescribe intravenous fluids and medications, such as corticosteroids or bisphosphonates.

Taking 60,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day. Doses higher than the RDA are sometimes used to treat medical problems such as vitamin D deficiency, but these are given only under the care of a doctor for a specified time frame. Blood levels should be monitored while someone is taking high doses of vitamin D.

As always, talk to your doctor before taking vitamin and mineral supplements.

I take 2k IU a day which is a high dose, I wouldn't take anywhere near 60k. Though I do understand doctors can prescribe that amount for multiple sclerosis sufferers.

Carrots are good for you..... but eating a kilo a day might just poison you.

Edited by Jennifer McM

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont need to read it. I dont need any supplements, my NHS dietician says I dont.

Good for you.

Not everyone is the same as you. This may come as a surprise.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Good for you.

Not everyone is the same as you. This may come as a surprise.

If you read my post originaly you would see I said if you are medicaly ok and eat a balanced diet you will not need ANY supplements, what do you find hard to understand. I will explain again. Eat a proper balanced non gimmick diet and have no health proiblems then you need no  supplements. If you still fail to understand come back again and i will further try to explain :banghead:

Just now, mrsmelly said:

If you read my post originaly you would see I said if you are medicaly ok and eat a balanced diet you will not need ANY supplements, what do you find hard to understand. I will explain again. Eat a proper balanced non gimmick diet and have no health proiblems then you need no  supplements. If you still fail to understand come back again and i will further try to explain :banghead:

Same here and I am married to an ex-NHS qualified Dietitian .

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Who in their right mind would take nutritional advice from some bloke that fixes old out of date inefficient boilers over an NHS professional?

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Which bit of, “in the winter months most of us don’t get enough vitamin D and should consider supplements “, are you missing. 

Not everyone has the “luxury” of an NHS dietician, never mind one who calls them on a regular basis.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Who in their right mind would take nutritional advice from some bloke that fixes old out of date inefficient boilers over an NHS professional?

That’s the second time I’ve seen you fail to put your brain in gear before you open your mouth, (virtually, of course :) ).

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

That’s the second time I’ve seen you fail to put your brain in gear before you open your mouth, (virtually, of course :) ).

Oh dear me Richard.

I offered a view on the ability of somebody who fixes boilers to comment on nutrition. That is all.

My brain was well engaged at the time.

12 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Which bit of, “in the winter months most of us don’t get enough vitamin D and should consider supplements “, are you missing. 

Not everyone has the “luxury” of an NHS dietician, never mind one who calls them on a regular basis.

But if you have access to an NHS dietician I would say that advice is worth taking over the advice of 'some bloke on the internet'.

13 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Oh dear me Richard.

I offered a view on the ability of somebody who fixes boilers to comment on nutrition. That is all.

My brain was well engaged at the time.

Oh dear me, Happy :( 

He wasn’t offering a view was he!?

he provided a link to some useful information.

10 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

But if you have access to an NHS dietician I would say that advice is worth taking over the advice of 'some bloke on the internet'.

Not sure what your point is. 

Smelly speaks as though everyone should behave like he does on Planet Smelly, (in so many respects, not just this one).

Fir some people, who don’t have access to a personal dietician, Mike’s link may have been if interest, and possibly even helpful.

3 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Lol.

You are funny, you still seem annoyed at our exchange the other night.

Grow up man. And move on.

Just now, Richard10002 said:

No answer to the point in question eh?

Looks like I’ve touched a nerve doesn’t it.

Not at all.

What question?

11 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Not sure what your point is. 

Smelly speaks as though everyone should behave like he does on Planet Smelly, (in so many respects, not just this one).

Fir some people, who don’t have access to a personal dietician, Mike’s link may have been if interest, and possibly even helpful.

Why do you feel the need to justify what somebody else has posted. From what I have read of his posts on here he seems perfectly capable of responding him self.