Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Depending on the exact location of your water point and shop, it might be hard to justify cruising back to your isolated location as being essential, however nice and quiet it may be. We all have difficult judgement calls to make.

There's a big community of boats moored on the visitor moorings by the water point, mostly older people, and the towpath is much busier all the way from town to where I am now above the lock. Where I was yesterday is much quieter; though there are still walkers and cyclists frequently coming past, it makes far more sense as a place to moor. I'm struggling to see any consequences of an extra twenty minutes boating, and I'd argue it's probably a better course of action than staying around town both for me and for my neighbours.

What I'm not doing is progressing further. Heading up the flight immediately after the water point very much seems unreasonable.

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

There's a big community of boats moored on the visitor moorings by the water point, mostly older people, and the towpath is much busier all the way from town to where I am now above the lock. Where I was yesterday is much quieter; though there are still walkers and cyclists frequently coming past, it makes far more sense as a place to moor. I'm struggling to see any consequences of an extra twenty minutes boating, and I'd argue it's probably a better course of action than staying around town both for me and for my neighbours.

What I'm not doing is progressing further. Heading up the flight immediately after the water point very much seems unreasonable.

FWIW I think your actions are entirely sensible and within the law and guidance.

49 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

I think I would be inclined to do the same, only bear in mind access if sombody needs to reach you if you do become ill.

It's a bit of balancing act really.

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

Wild or kept in a cage and fed with other fish bits?

My missus eats quite a bit of salmon, especialy ont barby. I have to say I find it orrible, I only eat proper white fish with batter on :D

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My missus eats quite a bit of salmon, especialy ont barby. I have to say I find it orrible, I only eat proper white fish with batter on :D

Do you know the best fish I ever ate imo was a freshwater perch. I also ate gudgeon one or twice - quite ok but it does depend upon where they lived imo.

I used to love smoked trout too.

Edited by mark99

Just now, mark99 said:

Do you know the best fish I ever ate imo was a freshwater perch. I also ate gudgeon.

Im with you on smokes trout, I do like that very occasionaly. Proper lump of cod with batter and chips cant be beaten though.........................................its a close call with KFC though :D

• Happy 1

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

That farmed salmon is terrible stuff. Each fish is injected with a hormone to make the flesh pink, it's grey naturally, the colour of the fish pellets they are fed on. The industry is terribly damaging. Demand for pellets for the industry is wiping out small fish in many parts of our oceans. The lice that thrive on them are being passed to wild run sea trout and salmon, killing them. Escapees (sterile) breed with wild fish, the result is a drastic reduction in salmon parr. This industry is threatening the existence of our wild trout and salmon, as if they weren't under enough pressure already with offshore nets etc.

I urge everyone who gives a hoot about our eco system to stop buying this terrible product. 

Edited by The Welsh Cruiser
  • Greenie 2

45 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Do you know the best fish I ever ate imo was a freshwater perch. I also ate gudgeon one or twice - quite ok but it does depend upon where they lived imo.

I have had Zander a couple of times in France

On 14/04/2020 at 13:40, BWM said:

It may just be that men are more likely to be out in pubs, football matches, etc

That would account for more men catching it, not a higher percentage of them dying from it. 

Edited by WotEver
Typo

19 hours ago, mark99 said:

Shh! My grandchildren will be all for eating the ornamental goldfish if they hear you!

One of the best fish I've ever tasted was flying fish (in Cape Verde). Barbecued sardines take some beating , though.

19 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Proper lump of cod with batter and chips cant be beaten though

Oh yes it can - ditto, but pollock instead of cod.

Best fish we ever ate was mackerel fresh from the sea to the plate in under 30 minutes served with some freshly picked samphire and freshly dug new potatoes.

Simple but truly delicious.

Must go back to Wells and do it again.

16 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Yes but you've got to be infected to die from it

That doesn't affect the percentage of males dying compared to the percentage of females dying, once they've caught it. Which was the point being made IIRC.

14 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Best fish we ever ate was mackerel fresh from the sea to the plate in under 30 minutes served with some freshly picked samphire and freshly dug new potatoes.

Simple but truly delicious.

Must go back to Wells and do it again.

I have caught macherel and had it on a grill in less than 5 minutes. We used to catch hundreds over the side of the Gray funnel liners I was on. My best recolection though was taking Temeraire a 36 foot nicholson across from Guzz to St Peter port one sunny afternoon with 3 mates. We just threw a line over the arse end and pulled mackrel in every throw. Smacked em on the head and gutted and put on the little grill in less than 5 minutes. Fresh as a daisy and a great starter before plenty of beer in St Peter Port for the weekend. 

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That doesn't affect the percentage of males dying compared to the percentage of females dying, once they've caught it. Which was the point being made IIRC.

Indeed. A distinction that appears to be missed by many. 

30 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Indeed. A distinction that appears to be missed by many. 

Females may have a better innate immune system than males. If so, one would have thought this would already be know, along with the reason. If not, I hope someone is researching it.

58 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Women can lose up to 20% bone density after menopause, therefore many could possibly be taking Vitamin supplements to help their body retain calcium..... and the best vitamin that supports the absorption of calcium is........ wait for it.......... VITAMIN D!

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Women can lose up to 20% bone density after menopause, therefore many could possibly be taking Vitamin supplements to help their body retain calcium..... and the best vitamin that supports the absorption of calcium is........ wait for it.......... VITAMIN D!

If you wish to take lots of supplements because you believe it is good for you, feel free.  Nobody is suggesting you are not allowed to do so.

If you have some massive insight that really will make a huge difference, then share it with Public Health or the NHS - they are getting quite tired of losing a thousand people a day. 

If it's just a feeling you have then please stop giving medical advice on how to survive CoViD-19.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you wish to take lots of supplements because you believe it is good for you, feel free.  Nobody is suggesting you are not allowed to do so.

If you have some massive insight that really will make a huge difference, then share it with Public Health or the NHS - they are getting quite tired of losing a thousand people a day. 

If it's just a feeling you have then please stop giving medical advice on how to survive CoViD-19.

I'm not though. I'd never dream of doing that and I'm sorry you'd think that.

I'm merely pointing to a possibility. It's up to you, and others to research. Would you really deny people the knowledge of taking something that's relatively innocuous, and which could help?

There's a video I posted on another thread from a doctor...... this is information you can take, or leave. It's your free will.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I have caught macherel and had it on a grill in less than 5 minutes. We used to catch hundreds over the side of the Gray funnel liners I was on. My best recolection though was taking Temeraire a 36 foot nicholson across from Guzz to St Peter port one sunny afternoon with 3 mates. We just threw a line over the arse end and pulled mackrel in every throw. Smacked em on the head and gutted and put on the little grill in less than 5 minutes. Fresh as a daisy and a great starter before plenty of beer in St Peter Port for the weekend. 

We had to get back into the harbour to get the BBQ out and cook ours. No way was I cooking it on the boat. :D

23 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

People are fee to post what they like on here, subject to the posting rules or whatever they are called. I think you are overstepping the mark telling Jennifer what she can and can't post.

I think a better course of action might be to point out she is not qualified to give nutrition advice (assuming she isn't) or report her posts. 

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

please stop giving medical advice 

Why is this in bold type? Do you feel that Jennifer would be unable to understand your point in normal script?

Your use of bold type in this context could be seen as aggressive, which I'm sure was not your intention, but please be careful.

Edited by Athy

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think a better course of action might be to point out she is not qualified to give nutrition advice (assuming she isn't) or report her posts. 

Depending on what's the advice. I do have a City & Guilds certificate in Nutrition, granted obtained decades ago. With progress of nutritional science my formal qualification is way out of date. I'm saying this to demonstrate my interest in nutrition, my knowledge could be rated a tad above 'Joe Blogs'.

• Greenie 3