Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

Just now, tree monkey said:

Yes mike absolutely no nutters here,

Well there are at least two who think they are not human, so they rather bust that hypothesis don'tcha think?

I've lost my hat by the way. Can you tell?

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well there are at least two who think they are not human, so they rather bust that hypothesis don'tcha think?

I've lost my hat by the way. Can you tell?

I see you've removed your signature. It didn't suit you. Smart move. 

24 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I see you've removed your signature. It didn't suit you. Smart move. 

I can see Mike's sig on all his posts.

Have you turned off Mikes sig (it's one of the options on signatures: hide this user's sig or hide all sigs)

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't know what you're twattering on about. I don't have a sig. 

--

"Quiet people have the loudest minds." - Stephen Hawking.

You need to find that sunhat soon!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Have you turned off Mikes sig (it's one of the options on signatures: hide this user's sig or hide all sigs)

You need to find that sunhat soon!

Lol forgot about that!

I blame the hat....

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

"I don't know what you're twattering on about. I don't have a sig. " 

That's a statement. But, you're probably right, about switching the signature off. It was irritating me, anyway. He isn't quiet. So, it looked odd and was out of character.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

(snip)

Another shows a tree which actually is in poor condition next to an LED lamp and claims it's a 5g transmitter, completely ignoring the recent trenching damage and excessive weed killer use.

Nutters everywhere :)

It beats me why the 5g theorists ignore mobile phones, WiFi and Bluetooth,  which use frequencies around 2.5GHz. A microwave oven is 2.450GHz.

1 minute ago, Iain_S said:

It beats me why the 5g theorists ignore [...]

Because if they had a good grasp on reality they wouldn't be 5G conspiracy nutters.

I do quite like the idea that 5G masts are teleportation devices, but sadly it seems to work only for this virus and nothing else. 

It would make home delivery so much easier if the stuff could be beamed across the mobile phone network to people's homes.

I think the vitamin D is important. You do need the right level and overdosing is very bad for you. Problem in winter is that we don't get enough sun so vitD supplements in winter and spring can be used to get back up to the 'norm'. Us boaters will get more fresh air than most but not at the moment. How do we know if we have the right level of vit D? Not a clue but apart from the 3 days over the last weekend, we have been in the boat most of the time. Likely then a supplement will be useful. The immune system is likely suffer with too low levels of vit D.

Mrs Bob is doing a culinary medicine course. She knows far more about this than me.?

• Greenie 1

On 13/04/2020 at 10:00, Rickent said:

There is no lockdown, more people walking past our boat than ever, groups of people, same dogwalkers two or three times a day , a thousand people a day are dying and idiots just carry on as normal.

Until excersise is banned then this will continue.

The vast majority of those seriously ill/dying were almost certainly infected prior to the lockdown, with events such as Cheltenham, etc., aiding the more rapid spread. 

23 hours ago, Philip said:

If you're walking the dogs then you're joining all of us out exercising, since you too are out.

I'm not one of the picnic brigade, but you're taking what you see from your boat to suggest that people aren't abiding by the rules when the vast majority of people are doing and so therefore heavier restrictions shouldn't be necessary.

The idiots among us will still be acting up however tough legislation becomes.

22 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I posted on another thread about this. The Guardian was discussing this in an article 2 days ago - the high number of BAME origin peeps who get the virus.

One 'fact' presented was that in the first 10 doctors (front line response in hospitals) to die of the virus, all 10 were from a BAME background whereas only 40% of doctors in hospitals (front line I think) were BAME - as oposed to 'White'. That does suggest that they were less immune than 'Whites'.

As these doctors may have a far better standard of living than others, perhaps its not all about 'poverty' (although that has to be a factor). MP replied that BAME is too wider group to have 'common genes' and he may well be right.

As I said in the other thread, maybe these 10 doctors were more willing to get stuck in a the deep (high risk) end? Maybe they all still live with big families.

There is much interest in a link between BCG immunisation and covid infection, with countries having a strong vaccination programme faring much better than those that don't. This may be one of the factors.

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is another similarly puzzling, err, puzzle. Why approximately twice as many men die from it as women. 

It may just be that men are more likely to be out in pubs, football matches, etc.

Most Australians in the southern states, never mind in the uk are short of vit d in the long winter.

God knows how bad it is here. However a big part of the problem is going through to an internal garage into a car and then straight into office or shop. They never see light.

vit d effects many systems possibly the most important being calcium absorption, and therefore osteoporosis. 
Having severe osteo I have had to take supplements for 10 years in spite of  riding my bike  summer and winter in shorts, at least 10 hrs a week.

They used to test my levels and over there in july/ august they were shockingly low.

It was the osteo that made me have to retire from work.

• Greenie 2

48 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

It beats me why the 5g theorists ignore mobile phones, WiFi and Bluetooth,  which use frequencies around 2.5GHz. A microwave oven is 2.450GHz.

Because they are nutters.

Apparently as well we are cutting down millions of trees due to 5g, have to say I haven't noticed and it is the sort of thing I should notice but as I haven't it seems i am a sheep.

Nutters

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

>> it seems terribly easy to get sucked into a world of cod-nutrition, where badly-informed amateurs circulate recommendations to take multiple supplements that cost astonishing amounts of money, albeit with the best of intentions.<<

There is plenty of vitamin D in fruit and green vegetables. No need for supplements if you have a reasonably healthy diet.

..For the vast majority of the population, that is.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

There is plenty of vitamin D in fruit and green vegetables. No need for supplements if you have a reasonably healthy diet.

..For the vast majority of the population, that is.

Yep. supplements of any kind are only for people who dont eat a balanced diet. Everything in moderation, meat, veg, dairy etc etc as in a balanced diet and all will be well. Of course if there is a medical condition that need addressing then things become less easy.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I think the vitamin D is important. You do need the right level and overdosing is very bad for you. Problem in winter is that we don't get enough sun so vitD supplements in winter and spring can be used to get back up to the 'norm'. Us boaters will get more fresh air than most but not at the moment. How do we know if we have the right level of vit D? Not a clue but apart from the 3 days over the last weekend, we have been in the boat most of the time. Likely then a supplement will be useful. The immune system is likely suffer with too low levels of vit D.

Mrs Bob is doing a culinary medicine course. She knows far more about this than me.?

About 2 years ago my surgery wrote to me with some official looking paperwork which asked me to get a blood test to check my Vitamin D levels, then to take some drugs for a few months, then get another blood test to see how the drugs had worked.

I called and emailed to book a blood test and got nowhere with it. Tried again once more, then gave up. Didnt take the drugs. I got the impression it was a "government initiative", so more of a numbers game, than being directed at those who need it, so I also didn't worry about chasing it up.

In December I saw him again and he took some blood for a variety of tests. I told him what hadn't happened, so could he get the Vit D test and start again. He told me not to worry about it, he would get my Vit D checked, but I needn't worry if he didn't get back to me on it. Pretty sure I got a call from the surgery telling me my blood tests were all fine a couple of weeks later - so I am hoping that my Vitamin D level is up to scratch.

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Over the last few weeks I have been in shorts and t shirts, even bare chested whilst digging for victory at the allotment, so I reckon I am getting vitamin D, or at least this tan says I am

Some of us have had skin cancer and avoid sun. Also some of us  do not eat anything with a face as in eating meat or fish. PHE is clear. Consider supplement vit d until mid March.

Edited by mark99

My mistake above:

Foods that provide vitamin D include:
  • Fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon.
  • Foods fortified with vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals.
  • Beef liver.
  • Cheese.
  • Egg yolks.

I'm still right about the healthy diet though. I'm having salmon this evening.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

My mistake above:

Foods that provide vitamin D include:
  • Fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon.
  • Foods fortified with vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals.
  • Beef liver.
  • Cheese.
  • Egg yolks.

I'm still right about the healthy diet though. I'm having salmon this evening.

The salmon may disagree.  ;)

3 hours ago, tehmarks said:

I really don't like how judgemental many of the population seem to have become overnight. I sat on top of a grassy hill in Stoke today reading a book - because Autoglass were replacing three of my car windows which some cretin decided to gratuitously brick. No waiting facilities, so no choice. It made for an uncomfortable few hours of being obviously judged by those out walking their dogs.

The boater in the OP may well have been moving to take on water, or buy gas, or have the toilet pumped out, or anything. Later today I'm going to move up a lock to moor next to a road and residential address, to see if Royal Mail will be able to deliver a couple of important items to 'this boat, on the canal next to this house'. On Monday I'm going to motor to the water point and do my fortnightly grocery shopping at the store next to the water point while it fills. Then I'm going to motor back to where I am now, which is in the middle of rural nowhere, isolated from all and sundry. Some of us - especially those who were continuously cruising at the outset of the crisis - can't just stay in one place for the next however many months. Don't be so quick to judge.

Excellent post. 

17 hours ago, tehmarks said:

I really don't like how judgemental many of the population seem to have become overnight. I sat on top of a grassy hill in Stoke today reading a book - because Autoglass were replacing three of my car windows which some cretin decided to gratuitously brick. No waiting facilities, so no choice. It made for an uncomfortable few hours of being obviously judged by those out walking their dogs.

The boater in the OP may well have been moving to take on water, or buy gas, or have the toilet pumped out, or anything. Later today I'm going to move up a lock to moor next to a road and residential address, to see if Royal Mail will be able to deliver a couple of important items to 'this boat, on the canal next to this house'. On Monday I'm going to motor to the water point and do my fortnightly grocery shopping at the store next to the water point while it fills. Then I'm going to motor back to where I am now, which is in the middle of rural nowhere, isolated from all and sundry. Some of us - especially those who were continuously cruising at the outset of the crisis - can't just stay in one place for the next however many months. Don't be so quick to judge.

Depending on the exact location of your water point and shop, it might be hard to justify cruising back to your isolated location as being essential, however nice and quiet it may be. We all have difficult judgement calls to make.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Depending on the exact location of your water point and shop, it might be hard to justify cruising back to your isolated location as being essential, however nice and quiet it may be. We all have difficult judgement calls to make.

CRT have explicitly said that moving from an area with a busy towpath to a quieter area is permitted (and it is hopefully clear to most that this is makes good sense anyway)